Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

people are now asuming that just because we have 1) keegan and 2) money that all the best players in the world are going to flock to us. and this is the relaistic target thread? henry- too good for us deco- likewise. i would love to see us sign bentley, but blackburn are higher in the league than us, chalenging for 6th plaace this season. it would take a lot for it to come off. we arent goiing to be able to attract players the calibre of owen and martins im afraid. this is just like th mackems thinking that they would get forlan and keane. not going to happen, although id like to think wed get better than chopra and andy reid!!

Was reading the mackems "realistic summer transfer" thread the other day and was thinking what a crazy bunch of delusional idiots they were, saying that Keane should go for the likes of Bentley or Martins. Then I come here and see us seriously talking about Henry, Deco and Ronaldinho.

Keegan has already intimated that some of the targets he has in his head are big names. "Maybe im dreaming" well what kind of sigining would mak him give himself that assessment.

I genuinely think that there are some big signings in there, Spurs beat Man U to Bale, albeit with a 5th place finish under there belt the previus season, Man City signed some CL players who would of been coveted by some big Euroean sides, despite finishing poorly the previous seaosn,  well we are a team with fresh impetus, and a solid foundation to build something huge on.

What is to stop us signing players like Deco, Henry and Ronnie who a few years ago were on the radar of some of the  biggest clubs in the world and now are part of a pack of players who dont have the star quality they once had.

There are countless sides in the past who have upped there own levels of ambitions by outlaying a lot of cash and getting the big players, with obviously varying degrees of succes, why cant we be any different.

Lazio, Roma, Man City, Villa, Newcastle, Chelsea, Betis, Athletico Madrid, Leeds.

Now im not comparing Newcastle to these clubs in the direct sense, but im saying that they all have demonstrated that dspite there varying history and circumstance they have all showed the ability to sign big big player by outlaying cash.

Why cant we be any different? Its all there.

Not that I'd be opposed to signing Henry, Deco and all these other big names but I'd be perfectly happy to give the new scouting/recruitment a chance to earn their money and find some new, younger talent who would be excited to play for a big Premiership club.  Discovering the next Henry should be our objective in my opinion.  This club has more prestige than any outside the top 4, has excellent facilities, spends good money on its players and is very well supported.  There's no reason we can't be the ones producing the next big thing instead of the ones paying 20 mil for him when he turns 30.  Unless you have Roman Abramovich, that's how titles & trophies are eventually won.

Crouch has something like 11 in 13 starts. A good player, who would work well in our system.

Aye, very good infront of goal. Definitely offers something different, too - i could see Keegan getting some good football out of him. Wouldn't be my first choice to 'fill Viduka's shoes', but if we'd tried other options and failed - i'd take him at the right price.

Not that I'd be opposed to signing Henry, Deco and all these other big names but I'd be perfectly happy to give the new scouting/recruitment a chance to earn their money and find some new, younger talent who would be excited to play for a big Premiership club.  Discovering the next Henry should be our objective in my opinion.  This club has more prestige than any outside the top 4, has excellent facilities, spends good money on its players and is very well supported.  There's no reason we can't be the ones producing the next big thing instead of the ones paying 20 mil for him when he turns 30.  Unless you have Roman Abramovich, that's how titles & trophies are eventually won.

Absolutely. But it doesn't hurt to prime the pump by signing a couple of classy veterans if the price is right.

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

I was reading through the last few pages and wondering if some of you will ever learn. O0 Newcastle have tried the 'big money signings' before, players that everyone would assume would do well but rarely do. As you've said, you need to branch out. There are some great deals to be had at championship level. Great deals to be had in la liga. And yet you're still talking about the likes of Henry and Deco, who with all due respect, I doubt would go to Newcastle and if they did, it wouldn't be for footballing reasons.

Fredbob, I would have to disagree with you there tbh. Clubs of our size ( I'm classing us, Villa, you, Everton in this group) cannot realistically compete with the big boys. We got Berbatov, not united, because we had been after him for months while they came in at the last second. We got Bale instead of united because we made a massive effort to get him, while Fergie's attempts were half-hearted. Last season, we seemed to be going for a lot of man utds targets and Nani showed exactly what happens when someone big gets properly involved. We were close to getting nani, his agent calls man utd, who fly over there and within days, a deal is agreed between them.

I'm sure Deco will still be wanted by a lot of cl clubs.

Vucinic is a good shout, and he's far more dangerous than Kuyt, who's nothing but a hard working footballer. Vucinic has got a pretty good shot, scores goals and does a lot of running for it. Kuyt just runs and wins himself throws. Doubt Vucinic would want to come here though.

What ever happend to Oscar Cardozo of Benfica? Seems like a pretty complete forward type of player..

Guest marsai

Doubt Vucinic would want to come here though.

Agreed, i think Roma will extend his stay at the end of the season.

He's established there, and they're challenging for the scudetto and are champions league contenders. Wouldn't make sense to move here.

Guest teepee

Crouch has something like 11 in 13 starts. A good player, who would work well in our system.

i completely agree - crouch would fit our current system perfectly. imo one of the best realistic signings available.

Guest Momomomo

First of all I just like to say that I've always been a closet Nufc fan. Basically all of my Anfield heroes have some sort of connection to Newcastle. Dalglish, Barnes, Rush, Keegan, McDermott, Alan Kennedy, Owen, Hamann and so on.

--------------------

Views from a Liverpool fan regarding potential transfer targets:

Rumours circulating that Pennant and Riise are two of Keegan's summer targets.

To be honest, I'm not sure they'd improve your team.

Riise has been well below par for a couple of seasons now. What's keeping him at Liverpool? Injuries on other players. He's a decent player though but I wouldn't call him reliable.

Pennant's Liverpool career has been up and down. He started the season as first choice in a 442 line up but an injury put a stop to that. If you're looking for a classic winger who supplies crosses and occasionally  gets past the fullback, Pennant is the way to go. But you won't get any goals from him.

If I have to choose from the players that are out of favour or available at Liverpool I'd buy:

* Crouch

* Carson (well you've got Given so I don't think he's needed)

* Finnan

* Kewell - finally injury free, bit of a gamble.

Guest marsai

F* Crouch

* Carson (well you've got Given so I don't think he's needed)

* Finnan

* Kewell - finally injury free, bit of a gamble.

Still, of all these players, you can't help but feel none of them would add anything except perhaps depth.

The trio of Owen, Martins and Viduka are all starting 11 material, and with Beye and Enrique on fullbacks, Finnan wouldn't be

a significant (if any) improvement. Defensively perhaps, but i feel Beye is good enough on that department .

Bringing Kewell in would just be copy/pasting Duff, at least the way i see it.

From Spain I'd go for:

-Diarra (Madrid), not getting a game in madrid and is a tough holding midfielder. Doesn't shine so much for Madrid as they've got excellent creative players but is a decent all rounder.

-Rafael marquez (Barca), another who isn't getting his game. No nonsense centre back who can pass a ball, can play as right back aswell.

-Deco (Barca), another out of favour, great all rounder in the middle, rarely loses the ball and seems to always be in the right place toi pick it up again.

-Gudjonsson (Barca). We all know what he can do, isn't doing well out in Spain...

-Zigic (Valencia), giant forward who is also very skillful, can't seem to break into the valencia team and has his problems with Koeman.

-Maxi Rodriguez (Atletico Madrid), unrealistic signing as this is the main man in Atletico.Box to box midfielder and probably the best of the argentinians at this moment...

-Poulson (sevilla), very tough defensive midfielder, also knows how to pass a ball, seville's unsung hero.

-Fabiano (sevilla), goal machine. Could he adapt to the prem? would he take a step down?

Just a few... There are loads out there and if Keegan is dreaming, then so am I !!!!!!

Must be close to thirty...

Yes confirmed 29!

Would be value for money, can't see Barca wanting over 5m for him. Truly gifted player.

they were after 8m in the summer when we were linked with him......wouldn`t pay that for him but under 5m possibly yes

Fredbob, I would have to disagree with you there tbh. Clubs of our size ( I'm classing us, Villa, you, Everton in this group) cannot realistically compete with the big boys. We got Berbatov, not united, because we had been after him for months while they came in at the last second. We got Bale instead of united because we made a massive effort to get him, while Fergie's attempts were half-hearted. Last season, we seemed to be going for a lot of man utds targets and Nani showed exactly what happens when someone big gets properly involved. We were close to getting nani, his agent calls man utd, who fly over there and within days, a deal is agreed between them.

I'm sure Deco will still be wanted by a lot of cl clubs.

I dont understand how if nani was big Man U target then how did he get to the situation that he was about to sign for you? That doesnt sound like a club that was properly involved, that sounds like a hijacked move, completely the opposite to what happened with Bale who was courted by both clbs for along time.

Although this is a bit of a poor example, we beat Liverpool to Owen, liverpool who were unwilling to pay the stupid amounts that we were, what's to say that they same wouldnt happen with another player of similar calibre? Imnot advocating that thats the right way to go about things but its another example of a smaller clubbeating a bigger club to a signing.

Also theres an assuption that one of the big teams in england would be in for a player we're after. We arent going for the likes of Nani, or Veloso or even Berbatov, players who are being openly courted by some big sides, we are going for the slighlty less fashoinalbe category.

i dont think its certaintly that we will sign these players, but just from the way Ashley conducts himself and Keegans speaks i dont think its an absoltuely riidiculous idea either.