Ronaldo's Career Possibly Over

Tooj

Also the fact that he played with Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and A.C  Milan is pretty funny..espically with him scoring for each side against the other in the derbys.

Quality, thats maybe his attitude problem going to the rivals team?

I'm sure I read somewhere that he was crying at the time when he signed for Inter as he never wanted to leave Barca.

Yeah, he did. It was a biography of some sort, and the writer recalled how at an international training camp Ronaldo's eyes were dark red from having cried due to being forced to leave a place where he was very happy, and how he stated that his agents decided who he played for.

At the same time, Sir Bobby's autobiography makes it clear that the Barca chairman decided to tear up Ronaldo's contract (i.e. sell) after getting frustrated at the agents demanding too much money for a new contract.

This injury must be a big blow for Milan. Pato right now looks like a very promising forward, but it would have been a big help for him to both learn from and phase out Ronaldo, in the same way Kaka did with Rui Costa. And Ronaldo's form was pretty decent, as was his physique, so were still talking about a top forward that theyve lost.

This will be the second true great from the 90's that Milan will have lost through injury after having only just signed them, the first being Redondo.

Guest assyriantoon

He was more then just a striker. He dominated games in ways that other players in history, barring maradonna, could never do. He could be an entire teams offence in one player. Sure, after his injuries he became a striker (a world class striker who scores 8 goals in a world cup), but pre-1999 ronaldo was more then just a striker.

You seriously havnt watched football long enough to think Maradona was the only except him to dominate, the best player to ever dominate was Pele he could win matches and it was severe to see him play a bad match.

Sorry, you are right I never watched much of Pele in his prime. I base much of my opinions on the little I did see of Pele (mostly world cups). I do, however, feel as though Ronaldo is, at least the best of my generation and the one of the contenders for the greatest of all time.

I suffered exactly the same injury as him last June. Even though joe public doesn't have access to the same level of medical staff as the likes of Ronaldo, he has my best wishes as the injury is a complete nightmare.

Dutchman Clarence Seedorf believes AC Milan team-mate Ronaldo may not return to playing football after the Brazilian suffered a serious injury this week.

The 31-year-old striker needed surgery on Thursday after rupturing a tendon in his left knee against Livorno.

"He's one of the greatest to play the game and hopefully this is not the way it's going to end," Seedorf told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I hope he makes the right decision at the right time."

Holland midfielder Seedorf said the moment the Brazil star collapsed he knew it was a serious injury.

"Nobody wants to watch moments like that," said the 31-year-old, who accompanied Ronaldo to hospital.

"My heart stopped beating because it was like watching a repeat of the injury he suffered playing for Inter Milan against Lazio. His reaction was the same."

He added: "It's the third time it has happened to him - the third knee injury he has picked up. That's why I'm thinking it may be the end.

"We'll see what happens over the next six months - he now needs to focus on rehabilitation."

Ronaldo, a three-time Fifa world player of the year, suffered the same injury in his right knee in November 1999.

He lasted seven minutes on his comeback in April 2000 before damaging his knee again, which sidelined him for another 20 months.

But AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani believes the injury is not as bad this time around.

"He is still feeling a little pain but it seems the tendon of the knee is in better shape than that of the right knee which was operated on eight years ago," he said.

"I am not a doctor and therefore I will not be making a guess at how long he will be out.

"He will need to stay in hospital about a week but after that I do not know where he will decide to go - whether he will return to Milan or go to Madrid with his son."

AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi remains hopeful that the striker will return to playing.

"I called him and told him to believe in himself. As a 31-year-old, he's very young," he told Italy's RAI TV.

"He has an extraordinary physique and I think within a few months he could return to being the champion that we all know him as."

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti added: "We're all very sorry and worried about what happened.

"I don't want to say it's the end of his career because only time can decide - all we can do is stand by him."

"He (Ronaldo) is still feeling a little pain but it seems the tendon of the (left) knee is in better shape than that of the right knee which was operated on eight years ago."

Ronaldo, who is out of contract at the end of the season, struggled with his weight at Real Madrid before joining Milan in January 2007 for £4.95m.

And Galliani added that a replacement could be signed in the Brazilian's absence in the summer.

"I am not ruling out bringing in another player but we will have to see this summer," he confirmed. "Our aim this season is to finish fourth in the league, meaning we will qualify for the Champions League."

Milan face Premier League leaders Arsenal in the first leg of their last-16 Champions League tie on Wednesday.

Amazing how Seedorf and Ronaldo are still only 31.

I thought Seedorf was about 34, he has been around and known to me for the entirety of my football-loving life.

Just a pup when he won the Champions League with Ajax in 95.

A staggering career to look back on when he eventually calls it a day. :)

I thought Seedorf was about 34, he has been around and known to me for the entirety of my football-loving life.

He is an incredibly successful player. I don't think he quite gets the plaudits he deserves either.

Especially for someone who gets caught in possession more times than Pete Doherty!

[/James Richardson]

Seedorf is a favourite of mine. Even now he would get into my world XI. Top player with a very good brain. :thup:

That is one of his major strengths, as a player he;s not the best ability wise but his mind is so sharp on the pitch that he gets the best out of what he's got, i think he could go on for a long long time if he keeps fit, just like Sherignham has.

He was more then just a striker. He dominated games in ways that other players in history, barring maradonna, could never do. He could be an entire teams offence in one player. Sure, after his injuries he became a striker (a world class striker who scores 8 goals in a world cup), but pre-1999 ronaldo was more then just a striker.

You seriously havnt watched football long enough to think Maradona was the only except him to dominate, the best player to ever dominate was Pele he could win matches and it was severe to see him play a bad match.

Sorry, you are right I never watched much of Pele in his prime. I base much of my opinions on the little I did see of Pele (mostly world cups). I do, however, feel as though Ronaldo is, at least the best of my generation and the one of the contenders for the greatest of all time.

Not going to disagree though, Zidane, Ronaldo and Rivaldo are the top 3 of my generation since i was born.

Not going to disagree though, Zidane, Ronaldo and Rivaldo are the top 3 of my generation since i was born.

Criminally underrated in today's game by people who seem to be mesmorised by the odd stepover.

El Fenomeno’s career could be over after he ruptured the tendon in his left knee on Wednesday night. This is the third time that the player has suffered such an injury, and his career has been ravaged by similar physical problems over the past decade.

Ronaldo Was Doped

Bernando Santi says that the reason why Ronaldo has suffered so many injuries is because when he signed for PSV Eindhoven in 1994 as a 17-year-old, he was regularly pumped full of anabolic steroids in order to build up the player physically and help him grow.

As a result Ronaldo then developed muscles that were unable to co-exist with his knee’s bone structure, leading to devastating problems in later years.

"I spoke to colleagues in Holland who know people at PSV,” Santi told the daily Folha de Sao Paulo.

“I did not get to talk to PSV doctors. They gave supplements to Ronaldo, who was very thin, and among those supplements they included some anabolic substances which could make him grow a bit more.”

Santi is in no doubt that it was these drugs that have caused the injuries.

"It is a consequence of having grown beyond what his muscles were prepared to grow," he insisted.

"He gained muscle mass very fast, when he still had not reached maturity. The bill for the use of steroids shows up long term, 10, 15 or 20 years later."

Ronaldo Was Abused - Socrates

Brazilian legend, Socrates, who is actually a fully qualified doctor in medicine, says that Ronaldo’s problems are as a result of the “abuse” he was subjected to earlier in his career.

"This was a pre-announced injury," the ex-Corinthians and Fiorentina star said.

"There is a difference between Ronaldo's muscle mass and the tendons on his knee. We have all seen Ronaldo grow too fast at the start of his career. That destroyed his knees forever.”

Santi Sacked

Since making these sensational comments, Santi has been sacked by the CBF, who feel that his words were inappropriate given the tough time Ronaldo is going through due to his injury.

"The CBF considered inappropriate his comments on a player who is going through such a delicate time," CBF spokesman Rodrigo Paiva told Brazilian sports news website UOL Esporte.

It remains to be seen the wider reaction in the football world to Santi’s bombshell.