Ronaldo's Career Possibly Over

Tooj

Bobby's reaction at the end of that Compostela goal was class.  :laugh:

ah yes, the ole "1.21 Gigawatts!?!?" reaction made famous by doc brown. classic.

that season at barca, and the first at inter, it's arguable that at that point in time, ronaldo was the best player ever.

Watched the game. Sad to see the injury was so severe. Even before I became a fan of the sport, I still had an appreciation for the man's talent. Regret that I never really got to see him in his prime.

He's the last great player of a generation still around and when Ronaldo goes, most of what drew me to football in the first place will have went with him. I know people say things such as we look back on the past with fond memories far too often and romantacise it a bit. But I grew up watching Ronaldo, Laudrup, Baggio, Zidane, Hagi, Stoitchkov, Weah all of those. To me now there just doesn't seem to be that level of flair and creativity breading itself at top level football anymore. :(

Totally agree

Guest assyriantoon

I have to put my balls on the line here and say that he is definantly the best of the last generation and I think, without those terrible injuries, would have gone on to become the greatest of all time. It is a shame that one of the last great heroes of football is done.

Guest assyriantoon

He was more then just a striker. He dominated games in ways that other players in history, barring maradonna, could never do. He could be an entire teams offence in one player. Sure, after his injuries he became a striker (a world class striker who scores 8 goals in a world cup), but pre-1999 ronaldo was more then just a striker.

Guest DarkSchneider

In his prime he was like "Oh that's just 11 of you. Not enough..." Best player I've seen. Was hoping that he would recover and play again for some years.

He was nothing without Sir Bobby.

That comment and one on the first page about Sir Bobby "discovering him" are total bollocks! He was already playing for PSV and Barca had to pay a fairly hefty transfer fee for him. Paying lots of money for a player already brought over here from south america where he took the piss is not "discovering" him!.

He was a fantastic player. A lot of people on here are talking about goals where he has run from the halfway line etc. What always impressed me more about him was his lethal finishing. When he burst through on goal there was only ever one result. To say there are no players left these days for kids to idolise or with the same flair etc is nonsense though. Messi, Cronaldo Kaka all have the potential to be talked about like Ronaldo in 10-15 years time.

He was nothing without Sir Bobby.

That comment and one on the first page about Sir Bobby "discovering him" are total bollocks! He was already playing for PSV and Barca had to pay a fairly hefty transfer fee for him. Paying lots of money for a player already brought over here from south america where he took the piss is not "discovering" him!.

He was a fantastic player. A lot of people on here are talking about goals where he has run from the halfway line etc. What always impressed me more about him was his lethal finishing. When he burst through on goal there was only ever one result. To say there are no players left these days for kids to idolise or with the same flair etc is nonsense though. Messi, Cronaldo Kaka all have the potential to be talked about like Ronaldo in 10-15 years time.

Despite how good they all are and have the potential to be, none of them are as good as Ronaldo was from 96-99 or will be, that's not taking anything away from them, it just shows how good he was.

Pretty much 'won' the league for Inter that season they were robbed by Juve. Amazing in the Uefa Cup Final against Lazio too.

Remember that actual game against Juve when he was fouled for a blatant penalty for it not to be given? Then Juve to go up the other end and one of there players to basically fall over and for it to be given. First and only time I'd ever wanted Inter to win something, just because of Ronaldo.