Obafemi Martins

Wullie

I think i'm the only person who has called him what he is all the way through - s***.

If you were calling him shit after his first season then you need your head read

Am I the only person who can remember long periods, usually as much as five or six matches at a time, where you'd forget he was on the pitch before he'd decide to put a shift in and then revert back to being anonymous?

ffs.

THE LADS TOO DAMN GOOD! HE HAS TO STAY. F*CK ALL WHO SAY HE'S s***.

Had your pic taken with him from your avatar i guess but if it had of been Amoebi you would defend him too  :undecided:

Its all about opinions but the majority of people on here now dont rate him imho and stick him in a quality team and he would hardly get used due to his general team play and effectiveness ,he cannot control a concrete block never mind a ball .

That isn't him mate, it's Martins and :dowie:

I think i'm the only person who has called him what he is all the way through - s***.

If you were calling him s*** after his first season then you need your head read

Am I the only person who can remember long periods, usually as much as five or six matches at a time, where you'd forget he was on the pitch before he'd decide to put a shift in and then revert back to being anonymous?

how many strikers have managed 17 goals in their first season in english football? pretty good return if you ask me, even if general play was erratic

If you were calling him s*** after his first season then you need your head read

how many strikers have managed 17 goals in their first season in english football? pretty good return if you ask me, even if general play was erratic

How many of them came against Slovakian pub sides in the UEFA Cup?

How many of them came against Slovakian pub sides in the UEFA Cup?

Levadia Tallin (h) - 2

Zulte Waragem (h) - 1

Zulte Waragem (a) - 1

So 13 goals.

a couple perhaps. But 11 goals in the premiership hardly represents poor performance either - how many strikes managed that this season? not many

They were all in a flurry though, that one at Sheffield United at the end of the season was his first in something like 11 games.

a couple perhaps. But 11 goals in the premiership hardly represents poor performance either - how many strikes managed that this season? not many

They were all in a flurry though, that one at Sheffield United at the end of the season was his first in something like 11 games.

it was his first in 4 games, and 8 in the premiership

it was his first in 4 games, and 8 in the premiership

Yeah it must have been the premiership that I remember that stat from then and not all comps.

Oba reminds me a bit of Andy Cole - needs 5 chances to get a goal.

How the f*** he missed that one against Pompey i'll never know, the kind of chance a striker dreams of.

5 chances to get a goal? That most certainly wasn't the Andy goal i watched on the gallowgate terraces

Guest wshmag

How the f*** he missed that one against Pompey i'll never know, the kind of chance a striker dreams of.

5 chances to get a goal? That most certainly wasn't the Andy goal i watched on the gallowgate terraces

when did Cole play in front of a Gallowgate terrace?

from february 93 - may 94

Guest wshmag

a terrace?

He got progressively worse season on season with us. No idea why.

it's what's known as the Newcastle effect.

If what Taylor said has been true, that there's been no one-to-one training in the last 5 years, I think we have an answer to why almost every player who has come here since Sir Bobby left has ended up looking like crap.

There have been so many opportunities for someone to take him aside and give him a few pointers on everything from the timing of his runs to finding space, Martins would have improved no end.  Telling midfielders that it might be a good idea to try playing a few balls between the opposing defence and the opposing goalkeeper for the fast running guy to run on to might have helped too.

It might also explain why most of our youth players graduate out of the academy only to see themselves stagnate when they reach the senior squad.

a terrace?

sober up man, what the hell are you going on about

Guest wshmag

a terrace?

sober up man, what the hell are you going on about

terrace, standing area.

Guest BooBoo

Andy Cole played in 92-93 and 93 -94 when the Gallowgate was a standing terrace.

Now shut up and go to bed.

If what Taylor said has been true, that there's been no one-to-one training in the last 5 years, I think we have an answer to why almost every player who has come here since Sir Bobby left has ended up looking like crap.

There have been so many opportunities for someone to take him aside and give him a few pointers on everything from the timing of his runs to finding space, Martins would have improved no end.  Telling midfielders that it might be a good idea to try playing a few balls between the opposing defence and the opposing goalkeeper for the fast running guy to run on to might have helped too.

It might also explain why most of our youth players graduate out of the academy only to see themselves stagnate when they reach the senior squad.

as regards the youth players.....not many have left us to become regulars at prem level......i can think of one who left us and was a prem regular last season.

If what Taylor said has been true, that there's been no one-to-one training in the last 5 years,

Except Kinnear yelling at Xisco for making bad runs.

If what Taylor said has been true, that there's been no one-to-one training in the last 5 years,

Except Kinnear yelling at Xisco for making bad runs.

to greggs

Cole was ten times the striker Martins is - and ever will be...

Cole was ten times the striker Martins is - and ever will be...

............ and Cole was able to adapt, into the more rounded role bestowed on to him under Ferguson. It takes football smarts to do that, he was coachable.

Martins on the other hand may forever be a one-dimensional but damaging dribbling & long-shooting forward, abeit an inconsistent one. In his defence though - during his stint here - he's been forced to develop his game within the worst period of what has become an era of anti-football on our part.

Guest The Libertine

1 in 5?  :nope:

"In all Cole hit 68 goals in 84 games for Newcastle giving him a strike rate of 81%. In terms of goal potency per game for Newcastle only Hughie Gallacher has a better record"