Obafemi Martins

Wullie

lets hope they give us our money back.

would be a good player in a team where he isnt relied on so much, but cant be trusted as the main man.

said it before, he spunked many chances to save us in the last few games, and couldnt do it.

Now ask yourself how many times the team got him in these type of positions? Hardly ever.

Watching the Fulham game live was so startling in this regard. He never got the ball to feet when he showed for it at the edge of the box or anywhere lese for that matter.

The ball most often played to him was from a minimum of 25 yards away and was high in the air when Hangeland was the one marking him. Bloody abomination.

Yeah he was huffy and for good reason too. I never understand why people think it's okay to say Owen wasn't scoring because he didn't get chances, well neither did Martins. Almost every chance he got was of his own making. Never had the luxury of getting any delivery which made his life a bit easier.

That was the main reason for him not doing it often enough imo. We've had a donkey of a midfield for the past few years, who too often have been hoofing it to Martins thinking that because he has pace in his locker he'll use it as effectively as Usain Bolt. We've all seen how rarely he'll use his pace well, so why haven't his teammates been adjusting their passing range to adapt to this flaw? Because they're shit, no-talent cloggers who only know how to launch the ball with no accuracy when under the slightest bit of pressure.

Looking back at Martins' tenure here, his best form for us came when he had Dyer just behind him. I quite clearly remember the affect Dyer's role change had both on the team and on Martins' performance levels - Dyer sort of forced the team to play through him, on the deck, and as a result Martins saw the ball being played into his feet more regularly in more advanced positions. And although his flaws were still present, in this system he was starting to look pretty dangerous/lethal. If a Premiership team can play him in a similar role, I think they'll be pretty pleased with the £8-10m they'll have spent on him. I say Fulham would be a good club for him because they play on the deck to a degree, and with Murphy pulling the strings just behind the striker in the same way Dyer was for us, he'd see alot more of the ball at his feet in those advanced positions.

The other reason why he's not been as effective as he could have been is Viduka or Owen's presence in attack. When either of them have started up front, Martins has felt the need to either drop slightly deeper, or go wider, than normal, as both Owen and Viduka when playing up front have tended to prefer that central role. This effectively takes Martins away from being found in that situation where he's right up against the centreback with the ball at his feet, and were he'll cause problems because of the aforementioned ability. On top of this, I think there's a mental/confidence issue with Martins (slightly similar to what Heskey had at Leicester/Liverpool). If he's not the main striker in the team, the main "man", his performances seem to suffer - maybe this was part of the reason why he performed better with Sibierski/Dyer?

All in all, he's clearly a flawed player, no denying that, but he's a useful one for certain mid table sides.

Guest wshmag

Now ask yourself how many times the team got him in these type of positions? Hardly ever.

Watching the Fulham game live was so startling in this regard. He never got the ball to feet when he showed for it at the edge of the box or anywhere lese for that matter.

The ball most often played to him was from a minimum of 25 yards away and was high in the air when Hangeland was the one marking him. Bloody abomination.

Yeah he was huffy and for good reason too. I never understand why people think it's okay to say Owen wasn't scoring because he didn't get chances, well neither did Martins. Almost every chance he got was of his own making. Never had the luxury of getting any delivery which made his life a bit easier.

That was the main reason for him not doing it often enough imo. We've had a donkey of a midfield for the past few years, who too often have been hoofing it to Martins thinking that because he has pace in his locker he'll use it as effectively as Usain Bolt. We've all seen how rarely he'll use his pace well, so why haven't his teammates been adjusting their passing range to adapt to this flaw? Because they're s***, no-talent cloggers who only know how to launch the ball with no accuracy when under the slightest bit of pressure.

Looking back at Martins' tenure here, his best form for us came when he had Dyer just behind him. I quite clearly remember the affect Dyer's role change had both on the team and on Martins' performance levels - Dyer sort of forced the team to play through him, on the deck, and as a result Martins saw the ball being played into his feet more regularly in more advanced positions. And although his flaws were still present, in this system he was starting to look pretty dangerous/lethal. If a Premiership team can play him in a similar role, I think they'll be pretty pleased with the £8-10m they'll have spent on him. I say Fulham would be a good club for him because they play on the deck to a degree, and with Murphy pulling the strings just behind the striker in the same way Dyer was for us, he'd see alot more of the ball at his feet in those advanced positions.

The other reason why he's not been as effective as he could have been is Viduka or Owen's presence in attack. When either of them have started up front, Martins has felt the need to either drop slightly deeper, or go wider, than normal, as both Owen and Viduka when playing up front have tended to prefer that central role. This effectively takes Martins away from being found in that situation where he's right up against the centreback with the ball at his feet, and were he'll cause problems because of the aforementioned ability. On top of this, I think there's a mental/confidence issue with Martins (slightly similar to what Heskey had at Leicester/Liverpool). If he's not the main striker in the team, the main "man", his performances seem to suffer - maybe this was part of the reason why he performed better with Sibierski/Dyer?

All in all, he's clearly a flawed player, no denying that, but he's a useful one for certain mid table sides.

Not reading all that, but i'll summarise it: he's shit.

You seem a lovely character, I'm personally delighted to have you around this place. :thup:

Sounds like a typical armchair athlete ...

Likely never done any kind of sporting activity in his whole life and so rubbishes any player that doesn't perform like they do in his video games.

Pathetic.

You seem a lovely character, I'm personally delighted to have you around this place. :thup:

Sounds like a typical armchair athlete ...

Likely never done any kind of sporting activity in his whole life and so rubbishes any player that doesn't perform like they do in his video games.

Pathetic.

Andy Cole was born to score goals, pure finisher. He did miss the odd chance, but if Martins could finish half as well we'd still be playing Premiership football now.

Agree totally and Martins will never be half the player Cole was imho.

Didn't catch it properly but SSN just said Martins or his agent has claimed that Arsenal, Villa and Everton have all made enquiries about him.

Good -  inconsistent, over-hyped. Thanks for the memories but not what we need.

I reckon 8-10 mil is a fair price in the current market

the only memories i have is a thunderbolt away to spurs, a couple of canny efforts but in the end, a lazy, work-shy, inconsistent, huffy tosser.

hope he has a career ending injury when he f***s off elsewhere, like most of the players who will be leaving this summer.

You should thank your lucky stars you don't sit anywhere near me at the game (if you even go)

Guest wshmag

Didn't catch it properly but SSN just said Martins or his agent has claimed that Arsenal, Villa and Everton have all made enquiries about him.

the only memories i have is a thunderbolt away to spurs, a couple of canny efforts but in the end, a lazy, work-shy, inconsistent, huffy tosser.

hope he has a career ending injury when he f***s off elsewhere, like most of the players who will be leaving this summer.

You should thank your lucky stars you don't sit anywhere near me at the game (if you even go)

hahahahaha

aye?

hahahahaha

aye?

To be fair that was a pretty pathetic thing to say so I can understand his response.

Its from Oba's agent :lol: I mean we all know this bloke it is a cunt, he will be sold no doubt but the other story last week about a non quick sale as he needs an op is the more realistic one.

If we are actually going after him, I'd be disappointed if we offered any more than £7m.

Initially maybe, but by the end of the season you'd be talking abouthow you robbed us.

In that Everton team he would erupt. Would be an ideal setup for him.

Unfortunately for you guys it appears your manager is more hung up on Owen.

If we are actually going after him, I'd be disappointed if we offered any more than £7m.

You might end up with Owen yet, at least you won't have to pay a fee for him. I would imagine a club doing as well as yours wouldn't want their front line grinding to a standstill though.

You might end up with Owen yet, at least you won't have to pay a fee for him. I would imagine a club doing as well as yours wouldn't want their front line grinding to a standstill though.

To be fair to them their front line did virtually grind to a standstill last season, and they still found a way to get results playing midfielders up front. It would be easier for them to set up a side to play to Owen's strengths (assuming Owen is in any sort of form) than it would be with Oba IMO.

I pity the club that takes Owen. He can disrupt the attacking strategy of any team, because he doesn't have any strengths except for the ability to sometimes score from a tap-in.

Martins, on the other hand, would be a valuable asset to every team. 10 mil is a low price for him.

I think Owen is finished but I'm still fully expecting him going somewhere else, scoring a couple of goals early on and everyone saying 'told you so'.

He needs a move as much as we need rid.

I pity the club that takes Owen. He can disrupt the attacking strategy of any team, because he doesn't have any strengths except for the ability to sometimes score from a tap-in.

Someone will take Owen on a pay-as-you-play basis, i'd imagine, he's still got enough of a reputation to get that at the very least.

I think Owen is finished but I'm still fully expecting him going somewhere else, scoring a couple of goals early on and everyone saying 'told you so'.

Incomplete ... because he will inevitably break down then take match after match to get match fit while claiming he IS match fit, and then he'll score a couple and everyone will say "I told you so" he just needed to get match fit. He will then inevitably break down then take match after match to get match fit while claiming he IS match fit, and then he'll score a couple and everyone will say "I told you so" he just needed to get match fit. He will then inevitably break down then take match after match to get match fit while claiming he IS match fit, and then he'll score a couple and everyone will say "I told you so" he just needed to get match fit ... (continue to repeat)

Someone will take Owen on a pay-as-you-play basis, i'd imagine, he's still got enough of a reputation to get that at the very least.

Pay as you play are a thing of fiction, it will never happen. Especially when you consider that Owen will have well paid agents looking for their share. I think he'd prefer a wage cut than take that sort of deal.

As for Martins, if those clubs are interested in him then all that matters is £££. Sell him to the highest bidder, regardless of the debate of how talented he is. If we get more than 6m, then this club will benefit massively from his departure. 

Guest wshmag

hahahahaha

aye?

To be fair that was a pretty pathetic thing to say so I can understand his response.

wind your neck in.

Guest Heneage

Quite a blessing he didn't sign that contract.

Owen will score goals for Everton if he goes there. From a midfield consisting of the grand end product of Butt, Nolan & Gutierrez, to Fellaini, Cahill & Arteta...I'd tip him to get close to 1 in 2 there anyway.