Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Guest The Libertine

1 goal per 5 chances to score, not 1 goal for every 5 games...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that was Glenn Hoddle's assessment on Cole after leaving him out of many England squads...

yes, 1 goal in 5 chances.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that was Glenn Hoddle's assessment on Cole after leaving him out of many England squads...

If that was Hoddle's assessment of Cole, its a good job Martins isn't English and had been around when Hoddle was manager ; he wouldn't have merited CONSIDERATION for the England squad, let alone be left out..

Also, Hoddle had the luxury of selecting one Alan Shearer as his main striker - are you now going to try to compare Martins to Shearer as well...!???

1 in 5?  :nope:

"In all Cole hit 68 goals in 84 games for Newcastle giving him a strike rate of 81%. In terms of goal potency per game for Newcastle only Hughie Gallacher has a better record"

Cole was absolutely lethal in his time for us. The cunt.

"In all Cole hit 68 goals in 84 games for Newcastle giving him a strike rate of 81%. In terms of goal potency per game for Newcastle only Hughie Gallacher has a better record"

Better (albeit different) for us than he was for ManU imo.

Oba reminds me a bit of Andy Cole - needs 5 chances to get a goal.

How the fuck he missed that one against Pompey i'll never know, the kind of chance a striker dreams of.

Nothing like Cole at all. In his time here Cole was one of the most clinical strikers I have seen.

Better (albeit different) for us than he was for ManU imo.

Definitely. I much preferred our version to the more refined version of the player after he went to Man Utd. A bit like Rooney actually in the way he changed his game to suite the team, yet lost a bit of that edge that made him the player that Man Utd actually bought.

Guest Brewcastle

Oba reminds me a bit of Andy Cole - needs 5 chances to get a goal.

How the f*** he missed that one against Pompey i'll never know, the kind of chance a striker dreams of.

If Martins reminds you about Andy Cole, I can't understand why complaining.

Andy Cole have the best Strike-rate of all number 9's.  :coolsmiley:

If that was Hoddle's assessment of Cole, its a good job Martins isn't English and had been around when Hoddle was manager ; he wouldn't have merited CONSIDERATION for the England squad, let alone be left out..

Also, Hoddle had the luxury of selecting one Alan Shearer as his main striker - are you now going to try to compare Martins to Shearer as well...!???

I wasn't the one drawing comparisons, I was just correcting an incorrect interpretation.

That said, one could argue that Martins was comparing himself to Shearer when he consciously chose the #9 jersey ;)

I wasn't the one drawing comparisons, I was just correcting an incorrect interpretation.

That said, one could argue that Martins was comparing himself to Shearer when he consciously chose the #9 jersey ;)

I was pleased when Martins wanted the #9 shirt as it showed he had confidence in his own ability, just a shame that his confidence was misplaced.

Martins said many times in that first season that he did not want to be compared to Shearer because they are totally different players.

Guest BooBoo

Martins said many times in that first season that he did not want to be compared to Shearer because they are totally different players.

Very true. Shearer was quality and Martins....wasn't

Didn't catch it properly but SSN just said Martins or his agent has claimed that Arsenal, Villa and Everton have all made enquiries about him.

Let them pay for the bastard!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Didn't catch it properly but SSN just said Martins or his agent has claimed that Arsenal, Villa and Everton have all made enquiries about him.

Good -  inconsistent, over-hyped. Thanks for the memories but not what we need.

I reckon 8-10 mil is a fair price in the current market

Guest wshmag

the only memories i have is a thunderbolt away to spurs, a couple of canny efforts but in the end, a lazy, work-shy, inconsistent, huffy tosser.

hope he has a career ending injury when he fucks off elsewhere, like most of the players who will be leaving this summer.

the only memories i have is a thunderbolt away to spurs, a couple of canny efforts but in the end, a lazy, work-shy, inconsistent, huffy tosser.

hope he has a career ending injury when he fucks off elsewhere, like most of the players who will be leaving this summer.

Fucking mint on his day though, like.

Nowt wrong with being huffy if you ask me, btw.

It's not about "service" with him. We know he's s*** at making good runs, he's s*** at using his pace effectively, his composure is s*** when he only has the keeper to beat, his first touch consistency is s*** - so on and so forth. Having established that he's not Craig Bellamy, how about looking at what he is good at?

He's at his most dangerous imo when he's 10 to 20 yards out from goal and he still has the opposition centrebacks in front of him. It's here that his ability to turn in or out pretty sharply, and then get a shot off with either foot, has caused plenty of good centrebacks problems. Irrespective of the reasons as to why he's not done this often enough for us down the years, he has the ability to create goals for himself against Premiership defences, which would surely make him a valuable to have for e.g. mid table sides.

On top of this ability, he has a good leap, a half decent header on him, as well as the ability to score from outside the box. I'd say that overall, if last season's injury problems are temporary, he'll be a decent 15 goal striker for plenty of the teams in the Premiership. Someone like Fulham would be ideal for him.

It's not about "service" with him. We know he's s*** at making good runs, he's s*** at using his pace effectively, his composure is s*** when he only has the keeper to beat, his first touch consistency is s*** - so on and so forth. Having established that he's not Craig Bellamy, how about looking at what he is good at?

He's at his most dangerous imo when he's 10 to 20 yards out from goal and he still has the opposition centrebacks in front of him. It's here that his ability to turn in or out pretty sharply, and then get a shot off with either foot, has caused plenty of good centrebacks problems. Irrespective of the reasons as to why he's not done this often enough for us down the years, he has the ability to create goals for himself against Premiership defences, which would surely make him a valuable to have for e.g. mid table sides.

On top of this ability, he has a good leap, a half decent header on him, as well as the ability to score from outside the box. I'd say that overall, if last season's injury problems are temporary, he'll be a decent 15 goal striker for plenty of the teams in the Premiership. Someone like Fulham would be ideal for him.

Good post. There's a lot of hyperbole regarding Martins but I still think he's a decent player overall.

Now ask yourself how many times the team got him in these type of positions? Hardly ever.

Watching the Fulham game live was so startling in this regard. He never got the ball to feet when he showed for it at the edge of the box or anywhere lese for that matter.

The ball most often played to him was from a minimum of 25 yards away and was high in the air when Hangeland was the one marking him. Bloody abomination.

Yeah he was huffy and for good reason too. I never understand why people think it's okay to say Owen wasn't scoring because he didn't get chances, well neither did Martins. Almost every chance he got was of his own making. Never had the luxury of getting any delivery which made his life a bit easier.