Obafemi Martins

Wullie

I f we HAD to keep one it would be Oba for me, if we have to sell oBA THEN fair enough, I will be gutted but we are a Championship side and cannot afford to reguse offers for him.

I know him and others are saying they want to stay fine PROVE IT!!

Do that by takling a wage cut and even if the club accept an offer for you refuse to talk to the club in question.

This. Martins has time to improve still, he is a world class striker when he wants to be, getting him to do it more than once every ten games is the problem. Owen isnt getting any better and his pace/ability is shrinking faster than miss pepperpot.

Neither are staying though, so its a moot point. They both offered too little this season to get hung over about.

I f we HAD to keep one it would be Oba for me, if we have to sell oBA THEN fair enough, I will be gutted but we are a Championship side and cannot afford to reguse offers for him.

Do that by takling a wage cut and even if the club accept an offer for you refuse to talk to the club in question.

This. Martins has time to improve still, he is a world class striker when he wants to be, getting him to do it more than once every ten games is the problem. Owen isnt getting any better and his pace/ability is shrinking faster than miss pepperpot.

Neither are staying though, so its a moot point. They both offered too little this season to get hung over about.

World class striker sorry but :lol:

Guest Gemmill

We can't afford to refuse offers for him because he's fucking abysmal.  Let's take whatever money we can get for him and he can show some other set of fans his (stolen from alex) mazy runs along the length of the halfway line.

Oba, Beye and Bassong are the 3 i'd love to keep. If and when the rest of the big names are sold/leave i'll celebrate like we've just signed Ronaldo

Add Guthrie to that list and I'm with you, but be realistic man, we would be lucky to keep one of them let alone all.

Bassong and Oba are saleable assets, even if we dont want to sell them there are little guarentees they will stay if an offer comes along.

Oba, Beye and Bassong are the 3 i'd love to keep. If and when the rest of the big names are sold/leave i'll celebrate like we've just signed Ronaldo

Add Guthrie to that list and I'm with you, but be realistic man, we would be lucky to keep one of them let alone all.

Bassong and Oba are saleable assets, even if we dont want to sell them there are little guarentees they will stay if an offer comes along.

Guthrie isn't a big name/high value asset, which is what i was getting at. But yes, he's one of the 5/6 we absolutely must keep

Guest Gemmill

Maybe not world class, he was a substitute at Inter but he had a very big potential which he never developed sadly.

"Maybe not".  You don't sound sure.  Hmmmm maybe not. :lol:

We can't afford to refuse offers for him because he's f***ing abysmal.  Let's take whatever money we can get for him and he can show some other set of fans his (stolen from alex) mazy runs along the length of the halfway line.

I never said the club should refuse to take offers for him, I am saying that ALL of these players saying they want to stay should then ptove it by refusing to talk to any other club and by taking a wage vut. All this "Iwant to stay" shit is doing my head in, easy to say when you know the club will sell you and you can then blame them.

We can't afford to refuse offers for him because he's f***ing abysmal.  Let's take whatever money we can get for him and he can show some other set of fans his (stolen from alex) mazy runs along the length of the halfway line.

I never said the club should refuse to take offers for him, I am saying that ALL of these players saying they want to stay should then ptove it by refusing to talk to any other club and by taking a wage vut. All this "Iwant to stay" s*** is doing my head in, easy to say when you know the club will sell you and you can then blame them.

If anyone will refuse to talk to clubs it would be Smith and Butt imo, no-one would offer them as much as they are getting now and they know it.

Guest Gemmill

He could have been in my opinion coming from someone who has seen this lad from younger days, but you don't care about other opinions and laugh them of so how does it matter anyways?

He's very fucking obviously not world class.  Even some of the flids who would let him do their mam will only allow themselves something along the lines "well I still think he's...... better than average."

He has all the ability and skills to be one, he just needs decent coaching and application, the latter being the biggest problem.

No player that I remember has ever divided opinion like this, but a lot of people posting in this thread just dont like the guy tbh.

I know some will counter with the arguement about me disliking Owen, but Owen has never felt like an nufc player to me and I see that as pretty unforgivable given his wages and status in the team.

Guest Gemmill

I never said the club should refuse to take offers for him, I am saying that ALL of these players saying they want to stay should then ptove it by refusing to talk to any other club and by taking a wage vut. All this "Iwant to stay" shit is doing my head in, easy to say when you know the club will sell you and you can then blame them.

Skirge, rest assured that they would all be off like a shot if they thought they could make similar money anywhere else.  Stop reading the papers, watching Sky Sports and all the rest of it, and just ignore what any NUFC player has to say until day 1 of the Championship season.  They never say anything worth listening to anyway, because they only ever say what they think we want them to hear.  Particularly though in times like this, platitudes from some arsehole millionaire who couldn't really give a fuck where he starts next season as long as his pay packet isn't severely dented is the last thing any of us want to hear.  So just don't read them.

He could have been in my opinion coming from someone who has seen this lad from younger days, but you don't care about other opinions and laugh them of so how does it matter anyways?

You didn't really have an opinion yourself in that post.. you said 'Maybe not world class' as in his ability right NOW and didn't clarif what you meant at all.

Im making presumptions -  but you must rate him close to world class if he is just 'maybe not'.. which is ludicrious.

Who do you think we should go for as a replacement, Gemmill? Not being funny, just wondering.

IMO save money and give Ranger a go, this is not ooooohhh Ranger love this is give the lad a chance, use the money to replace Owen let Nile be the powerful runner.

Who do you think we should go for as a replacement, Gemmill? Not being funny, just wondering.

IMO save money and give Ranger a go, this is not ooooohhh Ranger love this is give the lad a chance, use the money to replace Owen let Nile be the powerful runner.

He's not even played a game for the first team man. He looks promising but come on. He's a kid.

Guest Gemmill

I haven't got a clue, but that's got absolutely nothing to do with me.  I stopped playing FM years ago, so I don't even have a fantasy list of players I've never seen to fall back on.

Who cares what Martins has done in the Prem?  We're playing in the Championship now and Martins will tear teams apart down (t)here.  If he takes a wage cut I would have no problem with him staying in the squad, he would be the best striker in the Championship by a country mile.

He has all the ability and skills to be one, he just needs decent coaching and application, the latter being the biggest problem.

He has zero composure and awareness though

I haven't got a clue, but that's got absolutely nothing to do with me.  I stopped playing FM years ago, so I don't even have a fantasy list of players I've never seen to fall back on.

I just thought you might have someone in mind, Mr Touchy.

He's not even played a game for the first team man. He looks promising but come on. He's a kid.

So were Owen & Shearer both, infact Nile is older now than they were when they got their shot, yes okay they were not meant to be 1st choice strikers both got their chance mid season and took it, but the situation we are in money is not there to spend and top stikers are not going to come to us anyway..

Guest Gemmill

Eh?  He can't control the ball, has no sense of what's going on around him, and his finishing is diabolical except for once every blue moon.  Being a natural athlete which he undoubtedly is, is not the same having all the ability and skills to be a world class player.  World class players simply do not look as shit as Obafemi Martins does on a football pitch, regardless of coaching or application.