Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Who do you think we should go for as a replacement, Gemmill? Not being funny, just wondering.

IMO save money and give Ranger a go, this is not ooooohhh Ranger love this is give the lad a chance, use the money to replace Owen let Nile be the powerful runner.

He's not even played a game for the first team man. He looks promising but come on. He's a kid.

So were Owen & Shearer both, infact Nile is older now than they were when they got their shot, yes okay they were not meant to be 1st choice strikers both got their chance mid season and took it, but the situation we are in money is not there to spend and top stikers are not going to come to us anyway..

neither Owen nor Shearer had any pressure on them to perform when they broke into the first team, if he's good enough, he'll prove it, but hopefully not because we absolutely need him to

Guest Gemmill

Who do you think we should go for as a replacement, Gemmill? Not being funny, just wondering.

I haven't got a clue, but that's got absolutely nothing to do with me.  I stopped playing FM years ago, so I don't even have a fantasy list of players I've never seen to fall back on.

I just thought you might have someone in mind, Mr Touchy.

It wasn't a touchy response, I'm just being honest.  I basically can't be arsed with football these days, I've been losing interest in it for years now, never bother watching it much on telly or anything, so I literally don't have a clue about players other than the ones I see at SJP or when we're on telly.

Guest Gemmill

Martins > Adebayor

Under the right management

:lol: Anyone can play this game.  Unprovable and therefore means fuck all.

Martins > Adebayor

:lol: Anyone can play this game.  Unprovable and therefore means f*** all.

Jayson > Gemmil

:thup:

Jayson talks a lot of sense when he doesn't mention Owen  O0

You don't have to replace him though. Someone who could score 20 goals in the Championship would be enough. Someone like Darius Vassell, Jermaine Beckford, etc.

Do either of those play for us at present? I thought not, which means we need to replace an outgoing striker. ???

Guest Gemmill

Martins > Adebayor

:lol: Anyone can play this game.  Unprovable and therefore means f*** all.

Jayson > Gemmil

With the right brain surgeon

You don't have to replace him though. Someone who could score 20 goals in the Championship would be enough. Someone like Darius Vassell, Jermaine Beckford, etc.

Do either of those play for us at present? I thought not, which means we need to replace an outgoing striker. ???

Sorry, I meant we don't need to replace him with a better striker. I can't imagine Mick Quinn was as talented or gifted as Mirandinha but for the level we dropped to was more than enough.

I f we HAD to keep one it would be Oba for me, if we have to sell oBA THEN fair enough, I will be gutted but we are a Championship side and cannot afford to reguse offers for him.

I know him and others are saying they want to stay fine PROVE IT!!

Do that by takling a wage cut and even if the club accept an offer for you refuse to talk to the club in question.

This. Martins has time to improve still, he is a world class striker when he wants to be, getting him to do it more than once every ten games is the problem. Owen isnt getting any better and his pace/ability is shrinking faster than miss pepperpot.

Neither are staying though, so its a moot point. They both offered too little this season to get hung over about.

World class striker sorry but :lol:

He has all the ability and skills to be one, he just needs decent coaching and application, the latter being the biggest problem.

Eh?  He can't control the ball, has no sense of what's going on around him, and his finishing is diabolical except for once every blue moon.  Being a natural athlete which he undoubtedly is, is not the same having all the ability and skills to be a world class player.  World class players simply do not look as shit as Obafemi Martins does on a football pitch, regardless of coaching or application.

Well that's the gist of it. World class players aren't usually to be found playing at St James Park, unless they are a busted flush like the guy you used to champion, Michael Owen. I don't really know why you are so intent on singling out Martins when you look around at the rest of the squad. Are we a leading club challenging for Champions league football in your world? In that case the uber-criticism might make sense.

I f we HAD to keep one it would be Oba for me, if we have to sell oBA THEN fair enough, I will be gutted but we are a Championship side and cannot afford to reguse offers for him.

Do that by takling a wage cut and even if the club accept an offer for you refuse to talk to the club in question.

This. Martins has time to improve still, he is a world class striker when he wants to be, getting him to do it more than once every ten games is the problem. Owen isnt getting any better and his pace/ability is shrinking faster than miss pepperpot.

Neither are staying though, so its a moot point. They both offered too little this season to get hung over about.

He has all the ability and skills to be one, he just needs decent coaching and application, the latter being the biggest problem.

Eh?  He can't control the ball, has no sense of what's going on around him, and his finishing is diabolical except for once every blue moon.  Being a natural athlete which he undoubtedly is, is not the same having all the ability and skills to be a world class player.  World class players simply do not look as s*** as Obafemi Martins does on a football pitch, regardless of coaching or application.

Well that's the gist of it. World class players aren't usually to be found playing at St James Park, unless they are a busted flush like the guy you used to champion, Michael Owen. I don't really know why you are so intent on singling out Martins when you look around at the rest of the squad. Are we a leading club challenging for Champions league football in your world? In that case the uber-criticism might make sense.

It's the Oba Martins thread and someone called him world class, i wouldn't say he was singling out Oba more ridiculing that view of him ... and rightly so

Eh?  He can't control the ball, has no sense of what's going on around him, and his finishing is diabolical except for once every blue moon.  Being a natural athlete which he undoubtedly is, is not the same having all the ability and skills to be a world class player.  World class players simply do not look as s*** as Obafemi Martins does on a football pitch, regardless of coaching or application.

It's the Oba Martins thread and someone called him world class, i wouldn't say he was singling out Oba more ridiculing that view of him ... and rightly so

Oba Martins is the only issue Gemmill ever discusses here and it's been a familiar story for the last few years in case you hadn't noticed. It's like a tramp being given a new pair of shoes and complaining they are made of fake leather.

Oba Martins is the only issue Gemmill ever discusses here and it's been a familiar story for the last few years in case you hadn't noticed. It's like a tramp being given a new pair of shoes and complaining they are made of fake leather.

:mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

Gemmill has singled Martins out from day one though

Guest BooBoo

We can't afford to refuse offers for him because he's f***ing abysmal.  Let's take whatever money we can get for him and he can show some other set of fans his (stolen from alex) mazy runs along the length of the halfway line.

I never said the club should refuse to take offers for him, I am saying that ALL of these players saying they want to stay should then ptove it by refusing to talk to any other club and by taking a wage vut. All this "Iwant to stay" shit is doing my head in, easy to say when you know the club will sell you and you can then blame them.

Skirge, rest assured that they would all be off like a shot if they thought they could make similar money anywhere else.  Stop reading the papers, watching Sky Sports and all the rest of it, and just ignore what any NUFC player has to say until day 1 of the Championship season.  They never say anything worth listening to anyway, because they only ever say what they think we want them to hear.  Particularly though in times like this, platitudes from some arsehole millionaire who couldn't really give a fuck where he starts next season as long as his pay packet isn't severely dented is the last thing any of us want to hear.  So just don't read them.

:clap:

I've always liked Martins for some reason, but he did go downhill in my estimations towards the end of this season.  Still one of my favourite 5 NUFC players but it really is slim pickings now.

I'd hate to see him do well in another shirt but if we can get £7m plus for a £70k a week player then it's a no-brainer.  If he agreed to half his wages (I don't understand how this is likely with any player) then I'd like to hold on to him.  As other posters have said though, it's all politics with players now - if he says he wants to stay he may well be just trying to make himself look better than the likes of N'Zogbia, Owen and Given.

Darius is a smashing lad, and the best Spike Lee lookalike we've ever had playing for us, but I wouldn't back him to score twenty goals in the Edgbaston Paper Boys League, sadly.

I've always liked Martins for some reason, but he did go downhill in my estimations towards the end of this season.  Still one of my favourite 5 NUFC players but it really is slim pickings now.

I'd hate to see him do well in another shirt but if we can get £7m plus for a £70k a week player then it's a no-brainer.  If he agreed to half his wages (I don't understand how this is likely with any player) then I'd like to hold on to him.  As other posters have said though, it's all politics with players now - if he says he wants to stay he may well be just trying to make himself look better than the likes of N'Zogbia, Owen and Given.

The opening sentence there would probably sum it up for a massive proportion of nufc fans tbh.

From his first season here he's felt like a nufc player, just like Beye. A lot of people are ignoring the fact that he was clearly playing with an injury in the latter part of the season and in an ideal world wouldn't have been anywhere near the pitch. But sadly as our best striker we needed him, injured or not.

Martins: (In 3 years)

88 games (28 goals)

Owen: (In 4 years)

71 games (29 goals)

Maybe it's better just getting rid of them both  :undecided:

28 goals in three years is appalling, i honestly believe i could do better myself.

It's more about the number of games over the time period that I find appalling. Both of them were guilty of missing some good chances towards the end of this season, but overall, throughout their time with us they've had fuck all service.

Martins: (In 3 years)

88 games (28 goals)

Owen: (In 4 years)

71 games (29 goals)

Maybe it's better just getting rid of them both  :undecided:

28 goals in three years is appalling, i honestly believe i could do better myself.

34 goals, and it represents better than 1 in 3. Clearly not appalling

11 goals a season is average at best for a £10m striker on £70kpw. The fact that no-one else at the club is up to much either doesn't really change that fact.