The prostitutes of football

Benwell Lad

Surely anyone who supports us out of choice and is not from Newcastle deserves praise for not choosing the Glory Hunter route. I too hate glory hunting Man U fans and any other fans who choose clubs because they win all the time, but to support us when we've been cack for the last few seasons takes a special kind of person (masochistic perhaps?).

if you've watched any games from Old Trafford recently you will have seen row upon row of empty seats with at least 5 minutes still left to play. it seems thrashing teams 4 or 5 nil is no longer good enough for the OT glory hunters.

I know a chelseas fan and a man u fan, both local to those areas, both season ticket holders for upteen years. And both are now jacking them in as they've had their fill of a digital camera clutching, autograph hunting, day tripper fanbase.

success has stolen the souls of their clubs and they are gutted.

Agreed. I'm sure most of us at the moment would get far more enjoyment & satisfaction from Newcastle stringing a few decent results together (if anyone can remember back that far), than fans the fans of Manure get from winning most things.

Have a great glory hunter story.

An ex-friend of mine started following football religiously the same time that I did at the start of the 2002/03 season (when we both started playing ourselves). I had declared myself earlier a Newcastle supporter (I'll explain why in a minute), and she had decided to support Liverpool as she loved Michael Owen ;D and because she thought they would win. Anyway, this was the season that the Liverpool side had a massive slump from about November and she stopped talking about games with me because they weren't winning (I think they went from Nov-mid Jan without winning from memory...). She went overseas at the end of January 2003 and came back with a 'Beckham 7' shirt and declared herself a Manchester United supporter. Yep. Changed allegiances to one of Liverpool's greatest rivals just like that. We watched the Newcastle-Man Utd 2-6 game in April and she was up and cheering like it was fantastic as I slumped on the couch. I mean honestly, I can't understand how you could just switch like that. After we finished school (end of 2003) I have rarely seen her.

Anyway, I chose to support Newcastle because I saw an interview on TV with Shearer and was drawn to him. I also saw some of his goals and... wow! More embarrassingly though, I also liked playing as Newcastle on FIFA games :blush: but that wasn't the real reason.

I also feel like it was fate. No-one in my family remotely follows football and when I was rummaging through blank tapes to my surprise was a copy of a certain 5-0 win over Man Utd. Turns out my dad works with a guy from Newcastle who wanted that game taped when it was on... and he gave it back. Imagine my surprise when I found it 2 years ago. A 10-year old tape (at the time) of a game that no-one in my family was interested in magically wasn't taped over and was just sitting in my house. Un-freaking-believable. :yikes:

Edited just to clarify: I'm an Aussie.

I coul probably play for my local team if I wanted, so you'll forgive me for finding someone else to focus my support on.

Does this make me an evil gloryhunter then, Northern Monkey?

Who said evil gloryhunter, or are you just the kind of fucking cretin who likes to pretend people have said things when they haven't?

IMHO, you support the team from where you come (or have strong familial ties to). Thats how i was brought up, thats how things should be IN MY OPINION. If you choose to SELECT someone else to support other than your local team, thats up to you. But don't expect everyone else to think you're fucking ace to do so.

Ok, i can see myself getting slaughtered for this, but here goes.

I support Arsenal. My dad supports Arsenal and Stoke, he does this because hes from Stoke and my Grandad supported Arsenal and came from London.

I think you may actually call me a glory hunter, my dad brought me and my brother both up as Arsenal and Stoke fans, i follow both, but Arsenal more so, and tbh this was because of how exciting certain players of the time were, Bergkamp, Overmars, Wrighty, Merson!

But am i in no means like people i know

"I support United, but i have never attended a match or even been to OLD trafford!" im sorry, but you cant be a fan of a football club if you never attend, its just not right!

I coul probably play for my local team if I wanted, so you'll forgive me for finding someone else to focus my support on.

Who said evil gloryhunter, or are you just the kind of f****** cretin who likes to pretend people have said things when they haven't?

IMHO, you support the team from where you come (or have strong familial ties to). Thats how i was brought up, thats how things should be IN MY OPINION. If you choose to SELECT someone else to support other than your local team, thats up to you. But don't expect everyone else to think you're f****** ace to do so.

I guess if your local team was the macums, i.e. ugly, always letting you down and getting screwed by Irish crooks then you'd be entitled to seek a divorce and support someone else. 

Who said evil gloryhunter, or are you just the kind of f****** cretin who likes to pretend people have said things when they haven't?

IMHO, you support the team from where you come (or have strong familial ties to). Thats how i was brought up, thats how things should be IN MY OPINION. If you choose to SELECT someone else to support other than your local team, thats up to you. But don't expect everyone else to think you're f****** ace to do so.

I guess if your local team was the macums, i.e. ugly, always letting you down and getting screwed by Irish crooks then you'd be entitled to seek a divorce and support someone else. 

but you wouldnt? Once you have that genuine connection to a football team, nothing can break it!

Guest definitely_maybe123

i hate that people say you should support where you come from. it blatently doesnt work like that. Im Manc born and raised and so are my mums side of the family. My dad is from Blackpool. I have no affiliation with Newcastle really. (grandad born there but raised in manc from like 7 or summet). Iv supported Newcastle since being about 6 years old which was about 1992 and the only reason i started was my older brother supported them. He still does now n all but people always slate me for not supporting Man Utd or City n its a joke. I feel nothing for them clubs. Yeah, it would be f*****g great to win stuff like Utd but i dont care. The only teams that i really care about from near me are Blackpool cos of ma dad n Bury cos they r near me n they are f****d. Newcastle by a million miles tho.

I have no family ties to any footballing cities or teams, all my relatives support either Liverpool or Man U. Should I be supporting them then?

Ireland, where I come from, has no football league of any standard worth watching to me, and my local club is comprised of players I played against and was every bit as good as as a youngster.

Who, in your opinion, should I be supporting then?

Genuine questions by the way, try to remain somewhat composed and courteous in your response if that's at all a manageable goal.

i hate that people say you should support where you come from. it blatently doesnt work like that. Im Manc born and raised and so are my mums side of the family.

I don't really understand how you could get away from it like that either tbh. I'll respect anyone's choices of course as long as they are consistent but if you are born in a big English footballing city and follow English footy passionately how would you get so hooked up with a team from another region?

I support Arsenal. My dad supports Arsenal and Stoke, he does this because hes from Stoke and my Grandad supported Arsenal and came from London.

I think you may actually call me a glory hunter, my dad brought me and my brother both up as Arsenal and Stoke fans, i follow both, but Arsenal more so, and tbh this was because of how exciting certain players of the time were, Bergkamp, Overmars, Wrighty, Merson!

"I support United, but i have never attended a match or even been to OLD trafford!" im sorry, but you cant be a fan of a football club if you never attend, its just not right!

Thought I was going to have to give you a booting for a minute there until I read the rest.  :laugh:

I think you can be classed a fan even if you don't attend.

I for one get up when I can or when the odd ticket comes my way, but a little difficult when you have wife and kids to deal with.

Allot of people can't afford it, so to call them not proper fans is a little ignorant, if they have no link with the city however then it's a litttle more dubious.

I'd just love to see these Manc Scum fans when Man poo turn to crap once Fergie leaves, then see them switch to Chelsea or whoevers on top!  Those fuckers make me sick.

I have no family ties to any footballing cities or teams, all my relatives support either Liverpool or Man U. Should I be supporting them then?

Ireland, where I come from, has no football league of any standard worth watching to me, and my local club is comprised of players I played against and was every bit as good as as a youngster.

Genuine questions by the way, try to remain somewhat composed and courteous in your response if that's at all a manageable goal.

Support who you want. I'd just rather people who supported my team where those under the definiton i have already given.

i hate that people say you should support where you come from. it blatently doesnt work like that. Im Manc born and raised and so are my mums side of the family. My dad is from Blackpool. I have no affiliation with Newcastle really. (grandad born there but raised in manc from like 7 or summet). Iv supported Newcastle since being about 6 years old which was about 1992 and the only reason i started was my older brother supported them. He still does now n all but people always slate me for not supporting Man Utd or City n its a joke. I feel nothing for them clubs. Yeah, it would be f*****g great to win stuff like Utd but i dont care. The only teams that i really care about from near me are Blackpool cos of ma dad n Bury cos they r near me n they are f****d. Newcastle by a million miles tho.

Maybe it doesn't nowadays, but it SHOULD.

Thought I was going to have to give you a booting for a minute there until I read the rest.  :laugh:

I think you can be classed a fan even if you don't attend.

I for one get up when I can or when the odd ticket comes my way, but a little difficult when you have wife and kids to deal with.

Allot of people can't afford it, so to call them not proper fans is a little ignorant, if they have no link with the city however then it's a litttle more dubious.

I'd just love to see these Manc Scum fans when Man poo turn to crap once Fergie leaves, then see them switch to Chelsea or whoevers on top!  Those fuckers make me sick.

Yeh, i understand that people cant regularly who have familys to support, but people who appear to have no intention of going, my mate who drives has had many offers of champions league general sale matches to go to, but it appears he'd rather watch them on the tv when he could what drive from stoke to manchester in 45 minutes? tops?

Its rediculous! I traveled down to Highbury at the age of 15(my first time unfortuntely i didnt have the money before that age) to watch Arsenal play with 2 other mates on a national express because i was that desperate to see the Arsenal play at highbury before we left.

I dont see why other people (united fans) for the team they "love"

Sorry, but I don't agree. We all have irrational reasons for liking the team we like. My mom likes Keegan and when he was managing NUFC back in 93 she was a fan and this transfered over to me. My brother is a Man  Utd fan because he was watching them and his favorite color is red and they were wearing red. It's not always about winning and losing but I know there are a lot of people who support the winning teams.

Support who you want. I'd just rather people who supported my team where those under the definiton i have already given.

As long as you realise no one gives a shit about your parochial viewpoint, that's fine.

Simple rule of thumb: if you can truly, sincerely emphasize with the club, you're a fan. Geographical location is completely secondary to the location of your heart.

I would have complete respect for any Man Utd fan(well, as much respect as I can have for a supporter of those shitbags) if they traveled to Old Trafford as often as they humanly can, if they felt devastated when the scum crashed out of the Champions League two years ago, if they fought back tears seeing Solskajer retiring.

If you can feel for your team, respect to that. It's the plastic fans who carry around "Man U and Arsenal" as some sort of brand status symbol, like a Gucci or Prada bag, that are a plague to football.

Anyone who chooses to support a club other than the one of the place they are form is as bad as anyone mentioned above.

So, you're favourite singer must be Sting then. And you class Mr. Bean way above Monty Phyton, right?!?! Thats just ridicolous...

Eric Idle was born in South Shields O0

I am from Swansea, and support Newcastle, obviously I follow the fortunes of the Swans being my home town club and have seen them more live that Newcastle, as you can imagine its a lot easier for me to get to a swans match than the Toon.

However, I have supported Newcastle since Keegans 2nd year in charge the season that they won the 1st Division championship. My reason is that my mum supported Liverpool (don't know why) and she loved Keegan so I had loads of video's and loads of Liverpool video's to watch and I loved watching KK his playing style was a joy to watch, I didn't really have a team but there was a lot of talk about Keegan and Newcastle. So since the I have supported them and still do now.

Not sure where that leaves me on the super fan stakes??? But I am hurting given our current position and hope to God we can improve on it sooner rather than later. I think me being a fan is as relevant as a season ticket holder from the area, however, I do not pretend to know the "full" extent of being a local fan, and there are people out there that will have stronger emotions after a game than I do. There is not much I can do about that really.