Chris Hughton

Quailman

I'm happy with Hughton being in charge for a few games. There was a notable improvement in the first team when he arrived. Rather have a guy who's had day to day involvement with the players than the youth coach.

Read a few places that he's popular amongst the lads too.  :thup:

Anyone else think that this may be linked with a potential takeover? Was thinking this before this "came out", wondering how they'd go about appointing a manager if they DO have intention of selling and this seemed the only option to me.

I must admit I'm struggling to think of another scenario where you would plan on having someone temporarily in charge for 3 weeks.

Anyone else think that this may be linked with a potential takeover? Was thinking this before this "came out", wondering how they'd go about appointing a manager if they DO have intention of selling and this seemed the only option to me.

I must admit I'm struggling to think of another scenario where you would plan on having someone temporarily in charge for 3 weeks.

Ashley still hopes to tempt Keegan back?

'CHRONICLE chief sports writer Alan Oliver will be featured on Sky’s Premier League preview tomorrow night and again on the BBC's Football Focus on Saturday lunch- time.'

:nope:

Unbelievable

We should all e-mail Sky and the BBC to let them know that Mr Oliver does NOT speak for NUFC fans, that he is a figure of fun up here and that he is the ultimate 'before' picture in a botox advert

Hmmmm ...

What are the odds on Houghton getting this gig permanently.

I might put some money down on that just in case.

It would be a pretty stupid mistake if it happened. I agree with the theory that if there's any chance of a takeover then it makes sense not to appoint just yet. I don't hold out much hope on that though. I think it could be a case of letting things drift until fans realise the value of getting someone in.

For a short term fix, Hughton is probably ideal. I would imagine he's well liked in the dressing room so should be good for morale.

Guest Singapore Mag

Hughton should have our support for this match and the next few, he's an experienced pro and nothin happening of late is any fault of his. Definite +ve effect on performances after he joined us. Its good to see so many not begrudge him this caretaker role.

Its good to have one permanent face there for the players that they know and (hopefully) respect. Lets hope they can all focus this weekend and thump Hull.

Guest Toon1981

'CHRONICLE chief sports writer Alan Oliver will be featured on Sky’s Premier League preview tomorrow night and again on the BBC's Football Focus on Saturday lunch- time.'

:nope:

Unbelievable

We should all e-mail Sky and the BBC to let them know that Mr Oliver does NOT speak for NUFC fans, that he is a figure of fun up here and that he is the ultimate 'before' picture in a botox advert

I'm gonna do that for sure, pointing to his use of wikipedia in writing leading articles.  New thread anyone? (I ain't posted enough yet).

More stirring for from The Hate Mail:

It's tin-hat time at Toon as Newcastle stand-in boss Hughton ducks his media duties

By Colin Young

Last updated at 2:16 PM on 12th September 2008

Chris Hughton may be Newcastle manager for the foreseeable future, but the former assistant to Kevin Keegan is refusing to play the role fully this week.

The former Republic of Ireland international, who was a coach at Tottenham for more than a decade, has refused to hold a press conference ahead of tomorrow's clash with Hull City.

Instead, Newcastle are expected to release Hughton's programme notes to the media later today.

Scroll down for more

chris hughton

Code of silence: Caretaker boss Chris Hughton takes Newcastle's players through their training session, but refused to meet the media

Hughton is the sixth caretaker manager at Newcastle in a decade, following on from Terry McDerrmott, Steve Clarke, Nigel Pearson, John Carver and Glenn Roeder and it is the first time the club have not held a press conference for a league match under these circumstances.

With Newcastle supporters threatening a full-scale protest following Keegan's departure last week, allegedly publicity-shy owner Mike Ashley and football director Dennis Wise have also refused to meet the media to appease fans descending on St James' Park for the first game without their Messiah. It is still not known if Ashley will attend the match in the directors' box, where he usually sits beside Wise.

ashley demo

Not welcome: Newcastle fans would rather it was Ashley and Wise who were being replaced

Keegan walked out after a series of furious rows with the Newcastle board over his role at the club, and the influence of former Leeds boss Wise and his fellow director Tony Jimenez.

Hughton, who was appointed as an assistant and first team coach before the end of last season, stepped in as caretaker manager earlier this week and will take charge of the side to face Hull along with Alan Thomson and Richard Money.

As Newcastle continue to pursue numerous targets, including Gus Poyet, Didier Deschamps, Paul Ince and Marcelino Toral, Hughton could be in charge for the next three games.

He is no stranger to facing the press. As assistant to Brian Kerr with Ireland, Hughton regularly held press conferences, although he preferred to take a back seat at White Hart Lane. Tomorrow, whatever the result, he will be expected to face the press and television cameras under Premier League rules.

gutierrez

Gutierrez: injured

There were questions about who appointed Hughton when he joined Newcastle last season. Keegan always denied the former Spurs defender had been forced upon him by the board, although doubts will persist about those denials following the subsequent revelations about the way the club was run under his management.

Hughton, who could be in charge for up to a month, faces the Hull game without Jonas Gutierrez, who suffered a suspected dislocated shoulder in Argentina's game against Peru this week, and full-back Habib Beye is also struggling to be fit.

I can see him being in charge for a while now.  I think Ashley will leave the post open if it looks like he can sell up soon and let the new owners deal with it.

Not to mention no manager will dare to take the job knowing that the current owner is looking to sell out and who knows what the new owner has in mind.

Bring back Keegan and solve all the problems

Guest johnson293

Hughton not interested in Newcastle United job

Sep 18 2008 By Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

CHRIS Hughton has indicated he is not interested in taking the Newcastle United job on a full-time basis.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/18/hughton-not-interested-in-newcastle-united-job-72703-21849091/

Pretty sure I remember Glenn Roeder saying the exact same thing on the day he took over as Caretaker from Souness.