Chris Hughton

Quailman

Just seen him there getting involved with 1st team training, actually telling players what to do instead of standing on the line looking quizzically at the pitch.

Well done, a step up already.  :clap:

you been to the training ground?

Just seen him there getting involved with 1st team training, actually telling players what to do instead of standing on the line looking quizzically at the pitch.

Clip of him on SSN's

KK looked open to him as well. (for those suggesting every backroom appointment is above KKs head)

Clip of him on SSN's

KK looked open to him as well. (for those suggesting every backroom appointment is above KKs head)

Just how long was this clip?

Clip of him on SSN's

Just how long was this clip?

Not very.  :blush:

But its more activity than i've ever seen from Pearson. That short clip more than the total tbf.  :razz:

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3353681,00.html

Hughton backs Magpies to soar

Newcastle coach looking to build on weekend win

Chris Hughton has told Sky Sports News that he expects Newcastle to become upwardly mobile now that they have got a much needed win under their belt.

The Magpies' 2-0 victory over fellow strugglers Fulham on Saturday was their first in 14 attempts in the league, and their first since Kevin Keegan returned for a second stint as manager back in January.

While they are still not mathematically guaranteed to avoid the drop this season, the win has opened up a six point cushion on the bottom three and first team coach Hughton is confident that the club will still be playing top flight football next season.

Habit

"Certainly it becomes a habit, winning and not winning," he told Sky Sports News.

"I think what you want to be able to do is to build up a head of steam, and take the amount of confidence you can get from one win.

"I think that's the stage we've reached at the moment and I'm very, very confident that we can go on from there."

Return

With Newcastle due to travel to White Hart Lane to face Tottenham on Saturday, Hughton is bracing himself for an emotional return to a club where he spent 27 years as a player and coach.

He found himself surplus to requirements in North London following Martin Jol's departure back in October and admits that he found it difficult to severe ties with a club which had played such a major role in his professional career.

"Of course it was difficult once you have spent so many years at a club," he said.

"It is always a wrench to leave but, I think from my point, the most important thing was that I stayed positive and looked for a new challenge."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3353681,00.html

Hughton backs Magpies to soar

Newcastle coach looking to build on weekend win

Chris Hughton has told Sky Sports News that he expects Newcastle to become upwardly mobile now that they have got a much needed win under their belt.

The Magpies' 2-0 victory over fellow strugglers Fulham on Saturday was their first in 14 attempts in the league, and their first since Kevin Keegan returned for a second stint as manager back in January.

While they are still not mathematically guaranteed to avoid the drop this season, the win has opened up a six point cushion on the bottom three and first team coach Hughton is confident that the club will still be playing top flight football next season.

Habit

"Certainly it becomes a habit, winning and not winning," he told Sky Sports News.

"I think what you want to be able to do is to build up a head of steam, and take the amount of confidence you can get from one win.

"I think that's the stage we've reached at the moment and I'm very, very confident that we can go on from there."

Return

With Newcastle due to travel to White Hart Lane to face Tottenham on Saturday, Hughton is bracing himself for an emotional return to a club where he spent 27 years as a player and coach.

He found himself surplus to requirements in North London following Martin Jol's departure back in October and admits that he found it difficult to severe ties with a club which had played such a major role in his professional career.

"Of course it was difficult once you have spent so many years at a club," he said.

"It is always a wrench to leave but, I think from my point, the most important thing was that I stayed positive and looked for a new challenge."

I think he's right, just hope the winning habit doesn't start on Sunday.  He'll be guaranteed a warm welcome though.  Legend.

Why is the game on a Sunday btw?

Something to do with policing I believe.

I assumed it must be something like that but I wasn't sure. :thup:

• 5 months later...

Hughton may be at NUFC helm for three weeks

Sep 11 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United appear no closer to replacing Kevin Keegan, after telling Chris Hughton that he will be in charge of the team for the next three weeks.

While West Ham have appointed Gianfranco Zola and the popular little Sardinian will make his bow in the East End against Newcastle at Upton Park a week on Saturday, there is still no news from St James’s Park on their new boss.

And sources inside the club tell me that the plan is for Hughton to look after the shop for the next three weeks.

Obviously this would change, as things do in football, if director of football Dennis Wise and vice-president Tony Jimenez suddenly pluck a name out of the hat.

While Wise is still pulling the strings, there is always a chance that his big pal Paul Ince will be considered as a replacement for Keegan.

Wise is unlikely to be bothered about claims he is only interested in Ince because of their friendship as England players and in their short time together at Swindon.

Wise has promoted another of his pals Alan Thompson to help Hughton and academy coach Richard Money and asked the Geordie boy to take a place in the United dug-out for Saturday’s game with Hull – and this even though the once-capped former England international has virtually no coaching experience at all.

The odds on Ince being United’s s next manager were 100-1 yesterday morning, but by noon they had crashed to 7-1.

The Ince camp is aware of Wise’s interest and Blackburn have made the predictable noises about doing all they can to keep their manager.

I hear one of the reasons Ince would consider moving to Tyneside after such a short time at Ewood Park is because he fears Blackburn could be sold in the near future.

Mike Ashley has always insisted United are not for sale, but the word on the soccer grapevine this week is that, after all the furore at St James’ Park in the past week, the situation may have changed.

There is also a lot of talk United will wait until after the Spurs Carling Cup tie at St James’ Park on September 24 and then unveil Tottenham’s assistant boss Gus Poyet as their new manager.

:: CHRONICLE chief sports writer Alan Oliver will be featured on Sky’s Premier League preview tomorrow night and again on the BBC's Football Focus on Saturday lunch- time.

"Wise is unlikely to be bothered about claims he is only interested in Ince because of their friendship as England players and in their short time together at Swindon."

No no Alan. You mean YOU are not bothered by claims that the story is made up because Ince happens to know Wise.

Ah, the old "the word on the soccer grapevine" line.  Heard that one from Anal before...

What is the facisination with 'grapevines'?

two yoghurt pots and some string maybe, but I've never tried making a telephone type contraption with grapevines

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/heard-it-through-the-grapevine.html

Shit a brick there is a website for everything!

Anyone else think that this may be linked with a potential takeover? Was thinking this before this "came out", wondering how they'd go about appointing a manager if they DO have intention of selling and this seemed the only option to me.

Ah, the old "the word on the soccer grapevine" line.  Heard that one from Anal before...

What is the facisination with 'grapevines'?

two yoghurt pots and some string maybe, but I've never tried making a telephone type contraption with grapevines

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/heard-it-through-the-grapevine.html

Shit a brick there is a website for everything!

Monkey Spunk is still missing one.