Chris Hughton

Quailman

Know nowt about him. Any of the resident Spuds want to give us the lowdown?

From page 1......................

Some spurs fans used to refer to him as 'Clipboard Chris'.

Make no mistake about it, CH is a top quality coach.  In the days when the Pro badge wasn't a necessity, there were only 3 pro badge holders in the premiership and Chris was one.  If he'd been no good at what he did, he wouldn't have been kept on by successive managers.  FWIW, Arnesen rated him as good as any coach he'd known, but I think he'd gone stale at the end, it was the right time for him to go when he did. 

On the Spurs forums he's still got pretty well near unanimous best wishes for the future, which is remarkable bearing in mind he's moved to Newcastle.  BTW, I've just had a fiver on Martin Jol being the Newcastle manager for the first match of next season.  Probably a fiver down the drain but if things don't go well this season I wouldn't rule it out, there was a huge amount of respect between MJ and CH.

Make no mistake about it, CH is a top quality coach.   In the days when the Pro badge wasn't a necessity, there were only 3 pro badge holders in the premiership and Chris was one.  If he'd been no good at what he did, he wouldn't have been kept on by successive managers.  FWIW, Arnesen rated him as good as any coach he'd known, but I think he'd gone stale at the end, it was the right time for him to go when he did. 

On the Spurs forums he's still got pretty well near unanimous best wishes for the future, which is remarkable bearing in mind he's moved to Newcastle.  BTW, I've just had a fiver on Martin Jol being the Newcastle manager for the first match of next season.  Probably a fiver down the drain but if things don't go well this season I wouldn't rule it out, there was a huge amount of respect between MJ and CH.

Ah, thanks. Skimmed through and didn't spot owt. Seems a good coach, but I wonder how much Keegan knows about him?

Guest kingdawson

Genuinly nice guy and gets on well with the players in a 'one of the boys' sorta way. Like Keegan, he seems a bit of a soft touch tbh which is definatly not what you lot should be looking for. Still hope he does well for you guys :thup:

King dawson has to be one of the most irritating people ever.

What makes you think Keegan is a soft touch?

Your whole team is a soft touch that is a certainty. Now find a high cliff and take a running jump will you please.

Guest kingdawson

Your whole team is a soft touch that is a certainty. Now find a high cliff and take a running jump will you please.

Didnt mean it in an offensive way and i was one of the ones who adamantly defended the Keegan appointment on the spurs board (i also praised the appointment on here too). I agree that the spurs team is a bit of a soft touch and have said that too but get over yourself ffs. Keegan seems a nice guy and not really a diciplinarian so that where i base my judgement on, now go grab a tissue and let the tears flow :thdn:

Kingdawson has to be quite possibly one of the only people in the world who could say something positive and wish him all the best with us, and still get slated :lol:

Kingdawson has to be quite possibly one of the only people in the world who could say something positive and wish him all the best with us, and still get slated :lol:

True.

Didnt mean it in an offensive way and i was one of the ones who adamantly defended the Keegan appointment on the spurs board (i also praised the appointment on here too). I agree that the spurs team is a bit of a soft touch and have said that too but get over yourself ffs. Keegan seems a nice guy and not really a diciplinarian so that where i base my judgement on, now go grab a tissue and let the tears flow :thdn:

he is when needed (i remember him being tough with lee clarke,andy cole and barry venison) but he has a way with people that means he doesn't often need it.

Make no mistake about it, CH is a top quality coach.   In the days when the Pro badge wasn't a necessity, there were only 3 pro badge holders in the premiership and Chris was one.  If he'd been no good at what he did, he wouldn't have been kept on by successive managers.  FWIW, Arnesen rated him as good as any coach he'd known, but I think he'd gone stale at the end, it was the right time for him to go when he did. 

Ah, thanks. Skimmed through and didn't spot owt. Seems a good coach, but I wonder how much Keegan knows about him?

Dunno, but I can say for certain that Kemsley had no say in this appointment as was suggested by someone early on in the thread.  Kemsley hates Jol's guts and Hughton comes a close second.  I think it's impossible for someone to be a first team coach for as long as Chris has and his strong points and weaknesses not to widely known.  Maybe he's a bit conservative in his outlook but I don't think you'll ever see Hughton slumped in his chair having given up as Pearson did at a match last season.  You can't win every match but Hughton won't give up trying.

Dunno, but I can say for certain that Kemsley had no say in this appointment as was suggested by someone early on in the thread.  Kemsley hates Jol's guts and Hughton comes a close second.  I think it's impossible for someone to be a first team coach for as long as Chris has and his strong points and weaknesses not to widely known.  Maybe he's a bit conservative in his outlook but I don't think you'll ever see Hughton slumped in his chair having given up as Pearson did at a match last season.  You can't win every match but Hughton won't give up trying.

Kingdawson take note.

This fella here has a much more tempered irritation to him.

MJ will only speak for the most part when he actually has something to say (though most of the time no one's interested  :snod:)

KD you just say stuff off the top of your head. One minute he's clipboard Chris, the next minute he's a nice guy but a soft touch, then the next minute Keegan is a soft touch!??? What?!

Have you found that cliff yet?  :razz:

Guest Mucky01

I think for one thing with KK’s lack of recent Prem experience its good that he’s gone with someone with lots rather than take a risk with someone new like Shearer, etc. – 14 years on the Tottenham backroom staff, serving under 10 different managers.

As a football fan you never know how good an assistant boss is, just how good a coaching team is as a whole. To many on here hated Pearson because he looked miserable, WTF!

I hope that it was Jol’s fault that spuds porked out!!?

Speaking of which Michael Owen might move faster if he lost that stone of weight that Allardyce got him to put on?

he is when needed (i remember him being tough with lee clarke,andy cole and barry venison) but he has a way with people that means he doesn't often need it.

Don't forget when he pulled Beresford off after about twenty minutes for talking back to him.

Don't forget when he pulled Beresford off after about twenty minutes for talking back to him.

clean forgot about that till you brought it up.i still remember the look of shock on beresfords face.

(cue a few jokes about pulling beresford off )

clean forgot about that till you brought it up.i still remember the look of shock on beresfords face.

I want to say it was against Villa, is that right?

I want to say it was against Villa, is that right?

honestly can not remember who it was against

Guest Knightrider

KK is as ruthless as they come. Don't be fooled by his media persona, if you get in KK's bad books that's about it for you.

As for this appointment, I see it as a positive one. Houghton shares KK's football philosophies and recently coached a side that had finished in the top 5 twice playing some good stuff. He'll do for me. Furthermore, he has experience working under a continental set-up which is what we now have in place with Wise et al. Could be a good partnership in my opinion. Welcome to Toon Chris.

Guest kingdawson

Kingdawson take note.

This fella here has a much more tempered irritation to him.

MJ will only speak for the most part when he actually has something to say (though most of the time no one's interested  :snod:)

KD you just say stuff off the top of your head. One minute he's clipboard Chris, the next minute he's a nice guy but a soft touch, then the next minute Keegan is a soft touch!??? What?!

Have you found that cliff yet?  :razz:

So according to your slow self,  if he's refered to as 'Clipboard Chris' he cant be a soft touch, which then according to you means Keegan cant also be a soft touch :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.

I noticed you try and have a go at most of my posts so keep it up saddo :thup: