The current standard of officiating

Coxaux

Being a referee has to be one of the most difficult jobs on the planet, but current standard is simply unacceptable. The current governing bodies don't help the matter with unclear guidelines and little support but the current crop need the chop it's getting beyond a joke.

The Problems

Is it just me or you sometimes convinced referees and the FA are determined to keep "the big four" as the top four. They generate the most revenue and bring fans in from far and wide but why should it be one rule for them and another rule for the rest of the premier league. Far too many games have been balanced towards them for it to be a coincidence, sometimes it makes you wonder why we bother. They receive far too many favorable penalty and free kick decisions, generous amounts of added time and rarely have to deal with "bad" decisions, its a disgrace.

In fairness dealing with what appears to be a "two footed challenge" is difficult in real time, but officials can't seem to differentiate between a fair challenge and a reckless/ dangerous challenge. It is without doubt a cowardly tackle but sometimes it needs to be used to take the ball away safely. (Note: I DO NOT condone high potentially career ending tackles). In fact I remember Ipswich-Portsmouth not too long ago where a lad went in with  his studs showing, his foot bounced off the ball and  he made contact with the opposition player, subsequently he was sent off, this is the sort of challenge that is not a red card offense.

Ball to hand? Or hand to ball? Who cares frankly far too many refs are now giving soft penalties for what is deemed to be a hand ball in the box. I can understand the likes of Jenas's hand ball at Arsenal a few years back but if your not already watching take a look at the decision just given against reading. How the hell is the lad supposed to get his arm  out the way, sometimes common sense could take over and influence these decisions.

Again like the two footed challenge diving is difficult to spot in real time, but Gerrard, Ronaldo, Nani, Fabregas, Torres and Cole are just some of the names that spring to mind when discussing diving. You think this would be considered when viewing a challenge. When a player dives the officials shouldn't feel the need to give the free kick, the player who went down should be booked. It has got to the stage now where you have to go down in the box to win a penalty, football is becoming a non-contact sport by the week.

Swearing t the ref seems to be pretty common these days, but to emphasize my point earlier the ref may notice Alan Smith swearing at him, but seems to conviniently notice Wayne Rooney doing the same thing moments later. I hear something is being done about it, but if it is consistancy must be applied.

I real sympathies with officials when it comes to the offside rule but there are dimply no excuses for some of the rulings given. Examples that spring to mind include Kalou's late goal against ourselves and AJ's disallowed goal for Everton when there were a minimum of four players keeping him onside, oh dear.

They say a good ref is one you never notice. Why is it so many referees insist on being the celebrity. They have to make the big controversial decision to get their name in the paper. Ex-officials Jeff Winter and Graham Poll spring to mind as well as Rob Styles, which brings me to my last point, the fitness levels of officials, how are these guys supposed to keep up with play when they're so unfit. Some guidelines really need to be  laid down regarding this problem.

The Solutions

There are some ideas which I will discuss at a later date...

i honestly don't think the standard has got any worse since i started watching football in the 70's

It hasn't, only now every game has fifteen cameras to take apart every single decision. I'm going to do a big reply to this when I have time, but it's not an easy situation.

i honestly don't think the standard has got any worse since i started watching football in the 70's

It hasn't, only now every game has fifteen cameras to take apart every single decision. I'm going to do a big reply to this when I have time, but it's not an easy situation.

It doesn't help that we're utter shit and people are looking for excuses.

Been some utterly shocking decisions made against us lately mind.

Try being a referee, having to make split-second decisions, without replays or opportunities to see the incident again. We're not Super-Human computers with 15 different camera angles to watch a game from.

Mistakes happen and the only way to get rid of those mistakes is to introduce video-technology.

I've said it time and time again. What does a 4th official do bar sort out Subs? He needs to sit in the dugout with a few television monitors watching the game. He watches from a few angles, if he needs a replay he gets one with 10-15 seconds of an incident happening. He tells the ref, via radio mic, what the right choice is. End of.

Try being a referee, having to make split-second decisions, without replays or opportunities to see the incident again. We're not Super-Human computers with 15 different camera angles to watch a game from.

Mistakes happen and the only way to get rid of those mistakes is to introduce video-technology.

I've said it time and time again. What does a 4th official do bar sort out Subs? He needs to sit in the dugout with a few television monitors watching the game. He watches from a few angles, if he needs a replay he gets one with 10-15 seconds of an incident happening. He tells the ref, via radio mic, what the right choice is. End of.

but it would take more than 10-15 secs as when he's checking one incident another has occured and corners will get weird "right it's a penalty because the defence committed 6 fouls while the attack only committed 4 fouls"

i'm all for having refs as that random variable....like the weather.

Couple of points - refereeing is extremely difficult.  You get one chance to try and see exactly what happened, and your expected to get to right 100% of the time.  As I was told when I first started refereeing:

"Being a referee is the only profession where Perfection is expected from the beginning, with constant improvement from there on"

As for the calls made.....I think the referees do favor the Big 4. Yellow cards for minimal contact by Newcastle, and yet Nani gets away with making contact with a player on the ground and nothing - Despite the card count being 3-0 against Newcastle.  While a referee might not give Nani a card for that alone in a game where no cards had been shown, when the count is 3-0 against one team, it wouldn't be unexpected for a referee to balance it out - low tolerance etc.

But I think the Big Four and Fergie particularly, intimidate the heck out of referees.  And I think the referees know that they are more likely to have a review of cards given, than cards NOT given. So it's easier not to card one of Fergies guys.

Until, PL referees have their games reviewed by a panel of senior referees, and have their decisions reviewed and disected, then they are unlikely to change, and learn from their mistakes.

(NOTE - I would also like to see the EPL have post-game assessments of key points in a game, and bring sanctions against players who may have deceived the referees (and got away with it), or whose actions were just plain missed by the referee crew.  If players knew that their dives would get disected by all angles by a PL panel, and additional suspensions would be handed down, they would be less likely to risk it)

get rugby union refs in or at least get refs in who'll stand up(it's been the smae since i was a kid)

the laws are already set out (i believe...no doubt i'll get contrdicted by one of the black/green/yellow shirted blind bastards on here). it's the piss takingly simple stuff that winds people up which is so easily stamped out...

...shouting and effing and blinding...ungentlemanly conduct/foul and abusive language..take action

....failure to retreat  for a free kick etc....tell once then book(the whole wall if necessary)....is the rule about advancing the ball 10yds still active ?

the referee should walk into each dressing room before the game and say "anything you want brought to my attention shall be done by your captain,shout at me,swear at me..booked or off. dead balls,retreat immediatly 10 yds,i'll tell you once ,if you don't do it..booked."

we may have a couple of weeks with loads sent off but if kept with the players will realise this and not do it.

Linesmen are the problem. Getting them doing something constructive and contributing would make a huge difference to the quality of officiating.

Agree with that.

The amount of times the ball goes out for a throw in and the linesman deliberately waits for the ref to decide which way it goes before flagging in agreement is ridiculous. They're there to make decisions like that but haven't got the courage of their convictions to do so. And it's fucking annoying. :hmm:

Being a referee has to be one of the most difficult jobs on the planet, but current standard is simply unacceptable. The current governing bodies don't help the matter with unclear guidelines and little support but the current crop need the chop it's getting beyond a joke.

The Problems

Is it just me or you sometimes convinced referees and the FA are determined to keep "the big four" as the top four. They generate the most revenue and bring fans in from far and wide but why should it be one rule for them and another rule for the rest of the premier league. Far too many games have been balanced towards them for it to be a coincidence, sometimes it makes you wonder why we bother. They receive far too many favorable penalty and free kick decisions, generous amounts of added time and rarely have to deal with "bad" decisions, its a disgrace.

In fairness dealing with what appears to be a "two footed challenge" is difficult in real time, but officials can't seem to differentiate between a fair challenge and a reckless/ dangerous challenge. It is without doubt a cowardly tackle but sometimes it needs to be used to take the ball away safely. (Note: I DO NOT condone high potentially career ending tackles). In fact I remember Ipswich-Portsmouth not too long ago where a lad went in with  his studs showing, his foot bounced off the ball and   he made contact with the opposition player, subsequently he was sent off, this is the sort of challenge that is not a red card offense.

Ball to hand? Or hand to ball? Who cares frankly far too many refs are now giving soft penalties for what is deemed to be a hand ball in the box. I can understand the likes of Jenas's hand ball at Arsenal a few years back but if your not already watching take a look at the decision just given against reading. How the hell is the lad supposed to get his arm  out the way, sometimes common sense could take over and influence these decisions.

Again like the two footed challenge diving is difficult to spot in real time, but Gerrard, Ronaldo, Nani, Fabregas, Torres and Cole are just some of the names that spring to mind when discussing diving. You think this would be considered when viewing a challenge. When a player dives the officials shouldn't feel the need to give the free kick, the player who went down should be booked. It has got to the stage now where you have to go down in the box to win a penalty, football is becoming a non-contact sport by the week.

Swearing t the ref seems to be pretty common these days, but to emphasize my point earlier the ref may notice Alan Smith swearing at him, but seems to conviniently notice Wayne Rooney doing the same thing moments later. I hear something is being done about it, but if it is consistancy must be applied.

I real sympathies with officials when it comes to the offside rule but there are dimply no excuses for some of the rulings given. Examples that spring to mind include Kalou's late goal against ourselves and AJ's disallowed goal for Everton when there were a minimum of four players keeping him onside, oh dear.

They say a good ref is one you never notice. Why is it so many referees insist on being the celebrity. They have to make the big controversial decision to get their name in the paper. Ex-officials Jeff Winter and Graham Poll spring to mind as well as Rob Styles, which brings me to my last point, the fitness levels of officials, how are these guys supposed to keep up with play when they're so unfit. Some guidelines really need to be  laid down regarding this problem.

The Solutions

There are some ideas which I will discuss at a later date...

It's funny, when you speak to fans in Spain etc. they think OUR referees are the best........

Linesmen are the problem. Getting them doing something constructive and contributing would make a huge difference to the quality of officiating.

Agree with that.

The amount of times the ball goes out for a throw in and the linesman deliberately waits for the ref to decide which way it goes before flagging in agreement is ridiculous. They're there to make decisions like that but haven't got the courage of their convictions to do so. And it's f****** annoying. :hmm:

Its not just throwins. Literally the ONLY decision a linesman makes on his own is offside, that is their sole purpose it would seem. If they had some balls they would be able to help the ref on corners throwins goal kicks, fouls, penalties. The only time a linesman waves his flag around is when someone has been poleaxed right in front of them.

The refs themselves in general perform pretty much at the limit of their ability. The best referees are the strongest characters - but thats not something you can teach. We cant have 'how to be Collina' seminars. Its part of the game though, and for the most part referees dont win or lose a team competitions (unless your italian, in which case your fucked :p)

On the subject of refs, Aliadiere has just had his ban increased to 4 games, while Mascherano gets no punishment for grabbing his face and starting the incident. Petrov gets a 3 game ban basically nothing, but there is no punishment for Ade nutting Bendtner. There's no consistency in this league.

Ok I agree with the problems now some solutions, most of which would never be adopted by fifa but I think they would work

The Point of rugby refs, is spot on they take no shit and if you chat back your off, this should be brought in in football. I play hockey you swear at the umpire or your cheeky your off (yellow card sin bin thing like rugby). Brining in the hockey card system of green - yellow -red (yes just like traffic lights) would be a step up for football imo. Green is a warning, like a yellow card , yellow is a sin bin whihc is min 5 mins but can be whole game is you do something bad, then red is a instant ban from playing hockey. Now the prem league they could easily use that system as horror tackles etc get a straight red then they can look at the incident and look at how many games you are banned for. The sin bin system would work as well, and then warning card would mean you commit that offence again and your sin binned.

Those are my ideas from other sports but like I said FIFA is unlikely to change its carding system, they do need to issue something that says you swear and the ref your carded, if I was a football ref and some one swore at me they would be booked, no ifs or buts. Foul language has no part in the game yet none of the footballing bodies have done anything to stamp it out. If they refs get more power and are respected and not hounded or harrased then that would go someway to helping footballs image as well.

Ok I agree with the problems now some solutions, most of which would never be adopted by fifa but I think they would work

The Point of rugby refs, is spot on they take no shit and if you chat back your off, this should be brought in in football. I play hockey you swear at the umpire or your cheeky your off (yellow card sin bin thing like rugby). Brining in the hockey card system of green - yellow -red (yes just like traffic lights) would be a step up for football imo. Green is a warning, like a yellow card , yellow is a sin bin whihc is min 5 mins but can be whole game is you do something bad, then red is a instant ban from playing hockey. Now the prem league they could easily use that system as horror tackles etc get a straight red then they can look at the incident and look at how many games you are banned for. The sin bin system would work as well, and then warning card would mean you commit that offence again and your sin binned.

Those are my ideas from other sports but like I said FIFA is unlikely to change its carding system, they do need to issue something that says you swear and the ref your carded, if I was a football ref and some one swore at me they would be booked, no ifs or buts. Foul language has no part in the game yet none of the footballing bodies have done anything to stamp it out. If they refs get more power and are respected and not hounded or harrased then that would go someway to helping footballs image as well.

what about a red card that sends the offending player off, but who may then be subbed for?  might take some of the "change the course of the game" fear that keeps refs from showing a straight red.

I think we need to face facts that mistakes will be made. Referees arent super human and a new 3rd eye system or whatever could be implemented would have its problems. Untill these are resolved, we need to accept that mistakes will be made.

I think we need to face facts that mistakes will be made. Referees arent super human and a new 3rd eye system or whatever could be implemented would have its problems. Untill these are resolved, we need to accept that mistakes will be made.

As long as your manager isnt the 3rd eye!!!!!!!!David Blunkett seen more than Arsene .

I think the green-yellow-red thing is a bit farfetched, but the idea that the amount of suspension time a card will carry determined after the fact is interesting to me.  Obviously, this could be used in favor of the big teams, but I think that sometimes referees are hesitant to book/send players off in semi-finals or if they're close to being suspended, or even giving a 2nd yellow instead of a red for a bad challenge if they've already been booked.  I'd like to see that element taken away from the referee.  And all disciplinary incidents, seen or not, punished or not, by the referee should be up for appeal/review by the governing bodies.