Duff the P... (finish this sentence)

TRon

Watching Milner is like watching a young Luis Figo.

What's Milner got to do with it?

Right wing is more of a priority than left, that is my point.

If N'Zogbia goes (as expected tbh), both flanks have gaping holes.

Duff is a different player for Ireland, he is actually good, for me its down to playing for his country, full of pride, passion etc. Things he doesnt have for NUFC. I watch Newcastle play at least 40 games a season, i watch Ireland play about 8 or so? For that reason i want rid of him, regardless of how good he is for Ireland he is bad for Newcastle and that is all that matters tbh.

Duff is a different player for Ireland, he is actually good, for me its down to playing for his country, full of pride, passion etc. Things he doesnt have for NUFC. I watch Newcastle play at least 40 games a season, i watch Ireland play about 8 or so? For that reason i want rid of him, regardless of how good he is for Ireland he is bad for Newcastle and that is all that matters tbh.

I don't think he lacks pride or passion. He just doesn't know what to do with the ball when someone's in the way.

How any Newcastle fan can slag Milner and defend Duff in the same breath is totally beyond my comprehension I'm afraid. Milner's had more good games this month than Duff has since we paid good money for him.

How any Newcastle fan can slag Milner and defend Duff in the same breath is totally beyond my comprehension I'm afraid. Milner's had more good games this month than Duff has since we paid good money for him.

Neither are good enough and i'm a huge critic of Milner's but his contribution to NUFC has far exceeded anything damien duff has even attempted and i can't see that changing in the future.

Neither are good enough and i'm a huge critic of Milner's but his contribution to NUFC has far exceeded anything damien duff has even attempted and i can't see that changing in the future.

I like Milner and think he'll make a good squad player, he is limited though and we can do better, but of course you're absolutely right. I find the attitude of many to Duff absolutely bizarre when I think of the treatment some of our other ex-players used to get (some deserved, some not). Robert, Parker, Dyer and Speed were four players who, on their day, could take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it for you, all contributed a hefty amount to NUFC and all were booed at St James'. Hell, credit where it's due, even Jenas had some cracking games for us in his first year or so.

Duff in comparison just keeps getting away with woeful display after woeful display and hardly anyone seems to notice, still gets applauded off, still doesn't raise a mention in the paper. Does not compute.

We've got 28 points this season. Do you know how many we've got with Duff playing?

I like Milner and think he'll make a good squad player, he is limited though and we can do better, but of course you're absolutely right. I find the attitude of many to Duff absolutely bizarre when I think of the treatment some of our other ex-players used to get (some deserved, some not). Robert, Parker, Dyer and Speed were four players who, on their day, could take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it for you, all contributed a hefty amount to NUFC and all were booed at St James'.

Duff in comparison just keeps getting away with woeful display after woeful display and hardly anyone seems to notice, still gets applauded off, still doesn't raise a mention in the paper. Does not compute.

We've got 28 points this season. Do you know how many we've got with Duff playing?

:kasper:

looks like an old man, plays like an old man. even has the lowly gait down to a tee.

In order to improve, what we need to do is sign other good players to play alsongside our best players (the likes of Owen and Duff), not replace them.

Do you think it is a coincidence Owen still bangs them in for England and Duff is on fire every time he plays for the Republic..

I've stayed quiet so far in this thread but I have to take issue with that. If Duff and Owen are our best players, we will go down, absolutely no doubt whatsoever about that.

A winger who hasn't scored or set a goal up all season is our best player? Christ!

He scored against Stoke

Duff is a better footballer than Milner.  Not even up for debate I'm afraid.

In order to improve, what we need to do is sign other good players to play alsongside our best players (the likes of Owen and Duff), not replace them.

Do you think it is a coincidence Owen still bangs them in for England and Duff is on fire every time he plays for the Republic..

I've stayed quiet so far in this thread but I have to take issue with that. If Duff and Owen are our best players, we will go down, absolutely no doubt whatsoever about that.

A winger who hasn't scored or set a goal up all season is our best player? Christ!

He scored against Stoke

We're in a relegation fight. Maybe next year, and only if he keeps playing, I'll give a toss what he does against Championship sides.

He scored against Stoke

We're in a relegation fight. Maybe next year, and only if he keeps playing, I'll give a toss what he does against Championship sides.

Aye but im only saying after you said he hasnt scored :razz:

Milner does things that a footballer needs to do. Occasionally sets a goal up, occasionally scores one, occasionally puts a cross into the box, occasionally makes a key pass to set someone else away, occasionally beats his man. Probably doesn't do any of them as often as he should. Works his fucking bollocks off as well, not in a false way like Alan Smith by kicking people but in a genuine run-60-yards-to-stop-the-other-team-scoring kind of way.

Duff doesn't ever do any of those things. I'm not in the least bit surprised that his return has coincided with this club's worst run of form since 1978. He's by no means the only reason of course (God no), but he is a very big one nonetheless. You're basically adding a man to your midfield who contributes nothing going forward or back and obviously in the process losing someone who does, be it Milner, Geremi, N'Zogbia, Emre, whoever. Geremi had been on the field for two minutes on Saturday when he robbed a defender and whipped in a cross better than Duff ever has for us.

Alot of Duff bashing going on here. Have to say that i think he's an alrite player a good squad players to have i think. I happen to think that he gets marked out the game at times, Milner gets far more space than Duff does and i think its because the opppsition teams have been instructed to do so.

To be fair though, i think Zog is our best left winger, and he knows it, not sure why no one else does, hopefully we'll see a bit more of Zog.

Still unsure who to put at the back, said a long time ago that the 2 big issues we face would be where to play Faye, and how to accomadate Duff, Zog and Enrique, well with the apprent lack of penetration that Duff has offered us in recent time i think its fair to say that one of those decisions makes themselves.

The reall issue is what to do with Faye now, again said a long time ago that the DM position is a big problem for us. Still would like to see Faye there though, but that would leave us with Taylor and Cacapa at the back, although im hoping that Diatta is a bit of a find. Although by the sounds of it, Keegan has Beye, Faye and Diatta marked for defence.

Guest iliketoonarmy

Duff offers nothing, Milner does make a difference at times.

You must be watching other games on other planet i am afraid

Imagine Spurs players doing that under Ramos!

err, they did... and they got whooped by Birmingham for it.

errrrr....totally different. They won a cup and went out and got pished, Duff gets pished the day after we lost 4-1 to Birmingham.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting anyone should come up with something beginning with P which rhymed with Duff btw, I should make that clear.

Anyway, he was subbed early on Saturday, I'm hoping that means he's no longer an automatic choice. With a striker who won't take shots at goal, we can't afford to also have a winger who can't deliver the ball into the penalty area.

i don't like Duff.. ever since his first starts for us it was clear that whatever he had he's lost it. He's been alright since returning this season, but that's only because he was so terrible last term. Although he seems good at twisting his left foot in the most awkward of ways when dribbling, he still does it without any purpose and it seems to me he's generally afraid to take people on and create chances.

We must get rid this summer as this would be the best chance to recoup some money for him..

same with Butt.. he's not bad breaking up the opposition attacks, but his other shortcomings generally harm our possessional play and it is often very frustrating to watch..

Smith and Barton.. i won't even start.. i was sure their transfers were wrong from the start, but I never expected the amount of nerves i'd waste on them..

as i've said a number of times, i think that it's absolutely vital to get rid of most of our midfielders.. the whole lot of overpaid crocks, psychos, model-pros and such are the biggest reason why we continue to produce the shower of shit that passes for attacking play.. the worst thing is that these players have somehow made a name for themselves in the game and the media tells us every day they are "premier league stars" and "fan favorites", which of course we all know they ain't.

Keegan must be strong enough, not only to drop Smith, Barton, Duff, Butt and Emre but to sell them at the first opportunity, because if they are here next season wanting to start games we're in for another relegation fight, regardless of how many expensive defenders or strikers we buy.

Duff offers nothing, Milner does make a difference at times.

You must be watching other games on other planet i am afraid

So when was the last time Duff created something? While being a "better footballer", he certainly hasn't shown any signs of it when playing for us.