NE5 versus Mick, Baggio, fredbob, TRon, etc.

bodson

I once asked NE5, seeing as he didn't agree that Freddie was a thick fat so and so, what was Freddie's intelligent reasoning for wanting to hire Souness? Blackburn being 2nd bottom of the league at the time, and Souness being on the brink of the sack. I never got a reply to that one strangely enough.

howay man, even i can tell you the answer to that

robson had (allegedly/truly) lost the players, dyer refusing to play etc...etc... and souness was seen as a disciplinarian with a decent record (to shepherd, this is all from his perspective)

blackburn being bottom 3 could be seen as a blip in his time there to an outsider like shepherd as he'd got them promoted and won a cup, back into europe and so on

surely you can see that?  time changes perceptions but i clearly remember the feeling during that period that the players needed "sorting out"

there are your reasons, some sound some not so sound in my opinion...it's more a testament to the short-termism of shepherd that he did what he did

shepherd is obviously not an idiot is he?  the only multi-millionaire idoits are lottery winners...he just wasn't suited to running a football club - he was obsessed with winning a trophy (presumably to be the local hero) and i don't think you can underestimate the fact souness had previously won a trophy at EVERY other club he'd been to in the mans thinking

the fact the blackburn fans were dancing about when we took souness tells it's own story but if ANYONE can tell me or show me that when we signed him they could have predicted just how badly he managed things then i'd be very, very surprised...i basically thought we'd end up mid table but sort out the little turds at the club like dyer, and maybe sneak a cup along the way

you asked for freddies intelligent reasoning, not mine i might add

I knew right from the off that that cockend would dragg us down the table.  My pals will tell you how much i bitched on about the scotch slag.

He was a plumb, his methods were old and outdated.

You dont command respect from people by going around acting the hardman.

i think what gets me more than anything about the appointment of souness was how much he was backed - to call his previous transfer record patchy would be doing the bloke a favour, yet he was afforded SO much money to piss away...this made less sense that appointing him!

that's what galls me now...everyone can appoint a bad manager, and most generally do, but most don't leave clubs in the mess he did due to the money spent and wages agreed (what was the story recently, pre souness the wages were between 50-60% of turnover and OK, after he went mental it shot up to 72%!!)

if he'd come in and been backed a bit, done his "disciplinarian" s***, then pissed off without us having been tarnished by the luque/owen/bounsoung deals i think the vitriol reserved for him would have been somewhat lower

The board and chairman should also shoulder the blame for the Souness mess.   They allowed the wages to escalate unchecked.

And didn't Souness say recently that freddy was intfearing in his plans for team rebuilding.

that's right aye, said he wanted boa morte for 5m, shepherd veto'd then got luque at 9m...could be blantant lies but oddly easy to believe

don't think anyone comes out of that whole period with clean hands

Its all history now, we just need to survive this season and I am sure we will be at least a mid table side next year.

I think i said that this year as well.  Oh well heres to hoping.

Souness was said to be 6th choice. Whether that's strictly true, I don't know, but I'm sure he wasn't first choice. In which case, you have to ask why so many turned us down and we ended up having to approach someone whose reputation had diminshed.

Two reasons, I reckon. Shepherd had acquired a reputation for interfering with the manager's football decisions, and the shabby way in which Sir Bob was treated didn't create a good impression with the likes of O'Neill. Secondly, Shearer was exerting too much power within the club, both as an undroppable player and the Chairman's choice as future manager. No manager who wasn't desperate for a job would walk into that situation.

Its all history now, we just need to survive this season and I am sure we will be at least a mid table side next year.

totally agree, one thing keegans methods plus a bit of money will get us is mid table to a euro place challenge...i've judged him as harshly as anyone so far since he came back but given a season he'll get enough results against average/bad teams to start building confidence and improving

just have to stay up now, and i think we will albeit luckily

Aye.  Under Shepherd there were bad times as well as good times but it's history.  Hope Mort's getting his bad ones out of the way early like.

Souness was said to be 6th choice. Whether that's strictly true, I don't know, but I'm sure he wasn't first choice. In which case, you have to ask why so many turned us down and we ended up having to approach someone whose reputation had diminshed.

Two reasons, I reckon. Shepherd had acquired a reputation for interfering with the manager's football decisions, and the shabby way in which Sir Bob was treated didn't create a good impression with the likes of O'Neill. Secondly, Shearer was exerting too much power within the club, both as an undroppable player and the Chairman's choice as future manager. No manager who wasn't desperate for a job would walk into that situation.

Have to agree with this! don't think Luque was Sounesse's choice nor Owen they were Shepherd's trophy signings.

Have to agree with this! don't think Luque was Sounesse's choice nor Owen they were Shepherd's trophy signings.

Yep agreed.

All true enough, but if the top managers weren't willing to come, why not go for an up and coming manager from the lower leagues rather than a proven flop? Unless Freddie's football knowledge was so limited he had no knowledge of young managers rated within the game?

On the Dalglish front I think his major issue was that he based all his plans around Shearer and was completely tactically hamstrung when Shearer got injured, so Tomasson suddenly had to bear the burden and completely went missing.

However, I totally agree that not backing Robson sufficiently after we finished 3rd and sacking him at a completely useless timei s the root of all this - Souness was a total gobshite, I think even Freddy knew that, but nobody else was available/ebverybody else turned us down. That has seen the beginning of this monumental slide. That said, even Souness had us clear of relegation.

Guest Phil K

The appointment of Greame Souness is the most stupid descision ever! It still haunts us and it seems we wont recover from it in years.

We should have recovered from it THEN - but I agree with Souness - Shepherd wanted to run the team too instead of letting him get on with it.

Shepherd listened to the majority and gave Roeder the job, due only to relief of surviving and walloping one of the worst Sunderland sides in history (ignoring the fact they outplayed us in the 1st half) - then gave the job to Allardyce, IGNORING the majority. Disaster waiting to happen.

SHEPHERD was is and always has been the problem.

I disagree with most on Dalglish - I believed he used up ALL his bad luck in that one season. He should have been persevered with. Certain players let him down. Like Howey for one. Was as bad as Marcellino for suspect "injuries".

SBR should have been moved upstairs at the end of the previous season. NOT sacked. Or in an advisory role to a young manager.

Guest elbee909

If you didn't agree with the Souness appointment, then can only ask if you're happy with where we are now?  Is this board any better?  Eh?  EH?

Oh sorry, that's a completely shit non-argument, don't know what I'm saying. :)

What were the odds of Souness getting the job then ? Anyone on here have a bet on him?

I wonder if anyone did have a bet on him getting the job?

Just askin like. :shifty:

Are you implying that our Chairman made some money out of it?

What were the odds of Souness getting the job then ? Anyone on here have a bet on him?

I recall it came totally out of the blue, it was such a stupendously dumb appointment. The only few who were approving at the time were The Chairman, Shearer and our leading local journalist. If a few had a little wager with some inside knowledge who could blame them? ;)

No not for a minute, I'd never suggest such a thing.

No not for a minute, I'd never suggest such a thing.

Neither would I. Even though Fat Fred's son was sacked soon after the takeover, I have no reason to believe that nepotism was ever an issue here.

utter and complete bollocks.

When we had a shit board, we appointed a manager who was a journeyman if ever there was one, Jim Smith, that was 8th [yes Eight choice]. One of the managers who was ahead of him and turned it down, was a Newcastle supporter by the name of Howard Kendall.

Please tell us why he turned it down. Another Newcastle supporter by the name of Bobby Robson stayed at Ipswich for years and saw his home town team change managers on numerous occasions, and never once showed an interest to run his home town team, because he was happy at a small club at Ipswich being a better run club with better directors than his home town club, until the day he finally did arrive, years later when obviously the circumstances were more to his liking.

The bit in bold is the most laughable remnant of the blinkered idiots who opposed the old board simply on the basis that he ate all the pies.

You are obviously unaware that Souness had said his chairman asked to write on a piece of paper the name of the player he would most like to sign, and he wrote the name "Michael Owen". I find it quite unbelievable that someone who professes to be a Newcastle supporter isn't aware of this. The only other possible alternative is that you are making something up to discredit the old board. Predictable I suppose. I have noted in the past that you [bob yule] like to say "I think........" and it appears to me to be the opening to make something up, which is what you are doing again in this instance.

Perhaps you could try saying something like " I think Chris Mort said the club would only buy players for the long term in the January transfer window because the stupid tosser is putting prudency before the clubs needs on the field" but I don't think you will because it would mean admitting the old board, having an alternative viewpoint which gained us more european qualifications than every other club bar 4, 2 FA Cup Finals and a sold out big stadium every home game had actually done something right.

As for Luque, Souness clearly said that "his mate" had recommended Luque to him as a "proper player" to replace the "cancers" Bellamy and Robert. The mate more than likely being his ex Liverpool collegeague Michael Robinson.

One day, people like you two will stop making up stuff and inventing such bollocks as you go.

Touchy! It's almost like someone insulted a friend, or member of your family. :laugh:

Solid facts, and knowledge about the club Dave.

Care to disagree or show me you know better ?

Somehow I doubt that you will attempt it.

I was merely laughing at your hilarious outburst; I know better than to waste my time arguing with someone who refuses to take the opinions of others on board in any way, shape or form.

I await you making something up about what I think. Possibly that I'm loving this relegation scrap or something.