Relegation might be a good thing

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ok i know i am going to get shot down by most people on here but if we don't get relegated there is no way we will be able to get rid of the dead wood on massive contracts. Dont get me wrong the cons far outway the pros on going down, and maybe i am trying to cushion the blow should the worst happen, however consider:

- If we dont go down, the likes of geremi, smith, butt, viduka, owen, duff will all still be here picking up almost half a million pound a week between them.

- We can build a new exciting team with up and coming talent.

- We might get the chance to celebrate winning the league again

I am sure someone else can produce a list of cons for going down, with money being at the top of everyones list, but should the worst happen it may not be the worst thing to ever happen!

With what exactly? given our much reduced & Fizzy Pop League induced status and the player recruiting potential that would ensue............... a set of 'reach' types from the 2nd division and lower leagues as i can't see Championship clubs parting with their best youngsters cheaply, and similar types from the continent?

'Yo-Yo' club status beckons in that case. That is being a team who will rack-up frequent flyer points between the top flight and the Fizzy Pop League in conjuction with relegation & promotion later down the track, ala Sunderland.

Apart from that it will take us years to get back up imo. I've said before it'll be a tough ask to get rival championship clubs to offload their best players straight on our doorstep, and for our youngsters already coming through and those who could possibly form part of the team's spine - ie. especially those from the continent in the form of Baheng - a traditionally tough & physical 'blue-collar' league is a big step-up from the Reserves and the relevant youth leagues.

Leeds and Forest have both struggled to deal with the cut-throat 1st Div, the latter in rect years had their best crack at promotion at the time when Hart was manager - when they were blessed with a set of up & comers like Harewood, Reid & Dawson for starters, and of course they also had Collins there as a mentor/leadership figure. They still blew it, despite being a very good football-playing side - arguably the best in the play-offs that year imo. The pressure was too much for their much praised youngsters, and i rate their talent coming through at the time a damn sight more highly than our current crop.

Life in the Fizzy Pop League will present a massive culture-shock for the players involved, both for those who come through the reserve ranks and those who survive the end-of-season cull/sell-off. The current batch of players - ie. 1st teamers & reserve teamers alike - right now are just two teams making up the numbers in their respective leagues. As teams go, result-driven reputations that is, they currently don't have a set of crosshairs drawn on their backs.

Status-wise, for us being a traditionally big-club that is, it's a different kettle of fish in the Championship. We'll become the only significant brand name within it, even though we'll be something of a laughing stock, especially amongst fellow champioship supporters in particular, we'll effectively be the flagship club within the Championship. And with this Tall Poppy-like Syndrome in effect, every other team will raise their respective effort levels just a little bit more when they meet us come matchday. We'll go from just being 'another struggling mid-low table team struggling to realising it potential within our current division' to becoming in effect 'The Hunted - the club which every other Championship side will seek to take down on a weekly basis'.

For this reason FA-Cup fuelled intensity looms for us, and that's on a weekly basis. With this is mind a tough slog back to the top flight waits in the wings imo. A quick hiatus within the realms of The Championship is far from a foregone conclusion, or as you partly see it relegation will act as something of a unique opportunity which to build a new & exciting team brimming up and coming talent.

The loss of revenue alone would be bad enough, I hardly see Ashely being the cash cow everybody seems to think he will be, first and foremost he's a businessman if he sees us going down the drain even more he'll drop us like a hotcake!, most likely sell the club and fuck knows who will we get next, somebody even worse most more than likely.

It's quite arrogant to assume instant promotion; West Ham went down a few seasons back with a better team than the current Newcastle one and perhaps assumed they would win instant promotion - they didn't.

Get rid of the deadwood, that's fine (I believe it's possible), Tottenham have shipped out much of their own fringe players on loan when they assumed no-one would want them, but what's the chances of keeping the better players?!  The new players coming in will be of Championship standard; the revenue generated by life down there won't stretch to anything else and any decent youngsters who emerge may be poached by Premier League sides.

No positives for me.  We underestimate the standard of the Championship, anything is possible, I truly believe that, and do not seem to fully comprehend what the huge drop of revenue will mean.  It will cause shockwaves which are very difficult to recover from even after a return to the Premier League.

Couldn't agree more, especially with the sections placed in bold.

I can't think of a single example of a side benefitting from relegation.

Oh I dunno like. Newcastle fans have benefitted from Sunderland's relegation a few times, if only to take the edge off otherwise mediocre seasons of underachievement by ourselves.

Guest icemanblue

This.

Nor will there ever be one.

I think I understand the 'shite on messageboards' comment a bit better now.

Current events at NUFC have changed my perception of life in the Premiership. I think I've always taken it for granted that NUFC would ALWAYS be in it and challenging for major honours.  Now that were are fighting with the rest at the bottom, it's really made me realise just how f*cked up the entire club and region would be if we went down.  I've seen the word to describe this used once and there is no better word for it. Catastophic. It's knocked me a little with regard to what I think we should be achieving if we do stay up.  All those people who predicted a finish this season of say 8th-12th. I apologise because initially I though we should be far higher than this. If we survive this season and and finish 8-12th next season without cause for concern then I'll be eternally grateful.  That's how much shite we are in right now so I'd take that kind of finsih as real progress. It's unthinkable to even consider rebuilding in the Championship.  It MUST be in the Premier League.

The title of the thread is what's getting everyone's back up. I'm sure the OP's is not suggesting that he would be happy to see us go down more that there may be some long term benefits in dropping a league. The biggest benefit I see is getting rid of the dead wood, which is an absolute huge job. I for one hope that this brush with relegation ends on the positive side of staying in the divsion but at the same time is enough of a shock to those in power that big changes in playing personell are needed.

Perhaps most importantly, relegation would mean that all of us international Toon fans won't be able to watch them on a regular basis anymore.

But even aside from that catastrophe, relegation would be an unmitigated disaster for our club. Most likely we would stick with most of the dead wood in hopes of getting us back into the Premiership, and we would only lose our good players like Milner, N'Zogbia, and Martins.

Even if we got promoted the following year, we would be in a worse spot than we are in now because we would have to switch the bad players we still have and replace the good players that we lost.

If you want a really good example, Man United's 1974 relegation turned the club around. From my point of view, 1987's relegation benefitted Villa massively.

Relegation can be a good thing. That's not to say it is something one should want, mind.

It's a bloody sight easier to slug it out in the PL basement  than ty and get promoted - it's a nightmare down there

We'd lose our TV coverage, no decent player would come - set us back 20 years

If you want a really good example, Man United's 1974 relegation turned the club around. From my point of view, 1987's relegation benefitted Villa massively.

Relegation can be a good thing. That's not to say it is something one should want, mind.

Man Utd's revival only really started with the signing of Cantona.  Before that Ferguson was on very thin ice.

There may a couple of instances in the past 20 years or so where relegation has been a benefit, but there are probably a dozen clubs in the lower leagues right now who would strongly dispute your reasoning.

Guest teepee

i dont think relegation would be a good thing - but it certainly would help us get rid of certain unwelcome elements, but unfortunately also a lot of welcome ones like zoggy, oba, taylor, given, beye and milner....

No side benefits from relegation - Derby might have a chance of winning a game next season, but that's about it.

If we want to get rid of players we can do it in the premiership like everyone else - the amount we need to sell is overstated anyway. Who we add is much more important.