England Squad Named Today

Skirge

Guest rebel_yell12

Anyone else expecting Owen and Walcott to be the two dropped, out of the 6 strikers?

Rooney -- undroppable

Agbonlahor -- Cappello will likely want to see him, at least in training, as he didn't have the opportunity last month

Defoe -- six goals in six matches, that's more than good enough form to get in the squad I'd think

Crouch -- shouldn't be in, on form or "match fitness" really, but is the only one of the six taller than 5'10".

Owen -- 40 in 88 for England, but only 3 in last 6 for Newcastle. 

Walcott -- can be dropped back to the U-21s under the current set-up, after being mentioned as he's in the manager's senior plans at some point in the future.

Agbonlahor and Walcott  are ridiculous choices. Bloody hell.

Agbonlahor hasn't scored in something like 16/17 matches and it's not even like he's made it through based  on proven quality in the past ala Owen. Walcott has had, what.. one good match this season? Two maybe.

Green should be there instead of Carson as well.

Anyone else expecting Owen and Walcott to be the two dropped, out of the 6 strikers?

Rooney -- undroppable

Agbonlahor -- Cappello will likely want to see him, at least in training, as he didn't have the opportunity last month

Defoe -- six goals in six matches, that's more than good enough form to get in the squad I'd think

Crouch -- shouldn't be in, on form or "match fitness" really, but is the only one of the six taller than 5'10".

Owen -- 40 in 88 for England, but only 3 in last 6 for Newcastle. 

Walcott -- can be dropped back to the U-21s under the current set-up, after being mentioned as he's in the manager's senior plans at some point in the future.

No.

Walcott & Agbonlahor if anyone.

Guest rebel_yell12

Well, according to some (even on this site) Owen is ridiculously off-form with 3 in 6...personally, I think he's doing fairly well, considering the opposition and the midfield issues at Newcastle. 

I don't AGREE with the choices I outlined, that was just my prediction. 

I can't see Defoe or Rooney dropped, for good reason (both on form).  Crouch is the only option over 5'10".  That leaves one spot for Agbonlahor, Owen, and Walcott.  Walcott will be dropped.  Agbonlahor or Owen -- who do you think Cappello will feel the need to see in an England squad?  He's already said he's familiar with Owen, and wants to see other players at this point. 

If I were choosing, I'd drop Walcott and Agbonlahor both back down to the U21s.  I don't care if it's a friendly, it's bloody France and I want England to have a convincing win (though I'm not expecting one) and that, in my opinion, means Owen must be on the pitch, even if it's only for the second half as he's the most proven international player England has.  But I'm not the one picking. 

Well, according to some (even on this site) Owen is ridiculously off-form with 3 in 6...personally, I think he's doing fairly well, considering the opposition and the midfield issues at Newcastle. 

I don't AGREE with the choices I outlined, that was just my prediction. 

I can't see Defoe or Rooney dropped, for good reason (both on form).  Crouch is the only option over 5'10".  That leaves one spot for Agbonlahor, Owen, and Walcott.  Walcott will be dropped.  Agbonlahor or Owen -- who do you think Cappello will feel the need to see in an England squad?  He's already said he's familiar with Owen, and wants to see other players at this point. 

If I were choosing, I'd drop Walcott and Agbonlahor both back down to the U21s.  I don't care if it's a friendly, it's bloody France and I want England to have a convincing win (though I'm not expecting one) and that, in my opinion, means Owen must be on the pitch, even if it's only for the second half as he's the most proven international player England has.  But I'm not the one picking. 

I think that's what he will do. Fair enough if Agbonlahor was on form then he'd have every right to keep him in the 23, but he isn't and he will be cut over Owen.

I'm not an Owen fan, but he is scoring in a poor team and needs to get back into the England setup, Agbonlahor has all the time in the world, and Capello will get enough time in training with him to see he's a bright prospect with bags of pace who isn't in any form to be playing for England full right now.

Fabio still needs to make a good impression, he's not going to hang himself making silly choices like that even over a friendly imo.

Calling up Beckham so he can get his 100th cap is ridiculous, we might aswell call up Bobby Charlton so he can get his 50th goal.

James, Green and Kirkland is definatley the best set of keepers we have.  :thup:

Kirkland is embarrassingly bad.

I really don't think it's a case of black and white specs to say that I'd have Harper ahead of Carson and Kirkland every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Personally, i would like to keep Walcott and Agbonalhor in the England squad to give them a chance, its a friendly, one we want to win. But i think Defoe? Rooney?

Do they have that much to show us this match?

Let them have a rest, and lets see what a strike partnership of Owen and Crouch can do, then bring Agbonlahor and Walcott on in the second half for a chance.

Guest Toepoke

Can't see Owen being dropped out of the strikers, Crouch and Walcott have to the most likely to be dropped IMO. They both only play bit part roles for their clubs, Crouch in particular, and don't deserve their places.

Guest kingdawson

Personally, i would like to keep Walcott and Agbonalhor in the England squad to give them a chance, its a friendly, one we want to win. But i think Defoe? Rooney?

Let them have a rest, and lets see what a strike partnership of Owen and Crouch can do, then bring Agbonlahor and Walcott on in the second half for a chance.

Neither deserve to be in the squad though (one dosent even get regular games for his club and the other is just comming back from an injury).

Shouldn't you want Rooney to play and get injured or something like that? :wnk:

Shouldn't you want Rooney to play and get injured or something like that? :wnk:

In an ideal, selfish, world yes.

But, i just think Green, i'd like to see be given a chance in goal, make a few adjustments in the second half, it is 6 subs allowed to be made isnt it?

Just to see what other players can give try other players in that formation see what they have to offer!

Theres no better way to find out than a friendly against a strong team!

Guest MaetihS

I have always said Wheater is a good defender and one that we hope Taylor will turn out. Hope that Taylor will pull up his stocks and stop living off his England's next CB overhyped  (I admit only in toon town) reputation and learn a leaf or two from Wheater who quietly does his job and rose to the senior squad despite being supposed less experienced than Taylor.  Btw, it is really becoming a real joke that both Milner and Taylor are fast clocking record U21 caps while their comrades have all been promoted to the senior squad after handful of U21 caps.

Guest MaetihS

Not that surprised about Wheater. The kind of defender an Italian would appreciate. Big, dirty and uncompromising if not pretty on the eye. England doesn't really have many defenderrs like this, other than Terry perhaps.

And to think everyone was anticipating Taylor being in the team  :lol:

I doubt Taylor would ever make into a Capello team. Other than the fact he can't actually defend, he is also surprisingly weak for someone his size and doesn't really put himself about.

On top of that Taylor is the worst CB in our team which explains a lot of his overhyped capability. In short, not good enough. He will never be an England player but maybe a bit part squad player at most if he continues his past three seasons or so (since he started in the first team) performance.

Is Jenas injured? Seems a strange exclusion given his recent good form and display in Capello's first game.

Not too bothered that Forrest Gump, sorry, Agbonlahor isn't there.