What's Ashley doing - lost 129Mill on the markets last week?

Tsunami

Guest toonlass

He was playing the spreads at £300,000 a point and has clearly done his balls. Not having a go at the bloke cause he can obviously afford to lose that sort of money, and I'm sure he has won similar amounts before when betting with such big stakes, but those trying to make excuses for him/disputing the story are missing the obvious, at the moment he has lost money on a bet and that loss might increase or decrease when the market moves again.

Based on a story from a newspaper that is famed for printing shite!

Guest Jawesome

So what if he has?  He'll not be the last person in the world to lose a bet.  It's not like he can't afford it.  Yet another non story from tabloid shite.

With two billion in the bank at a high interest rate of around 7-8%, ashley will still have between 11-31 million to fritter away as he likes without making an actual loss from his fortune...

Ooooh to be a rich man!

I'm not even sure he's worth £2 billion now anyway, I'm sure something like £1 billion was shares he still held in his company, a value that was put on the shares at floatation and they've dropped in value since. I think he received £900 million when he sold shares in his company.

He was playing the spreads at £300,000 a point and has clearly done his balls. Not having a go at the bloke cause he can obviously afford to lose that sort of money, and I'm sure he has won similar amounts before when betting with such big stakes, but those trying to make excuses for him/disputing the story are missing the obvious, at the moment he has lost money on a bet and that loss might increase or decrease when the market moves again.

Based on a story from a newspaper that is famed for printing s****!

I would wipe my arse with it but it would hurt and would not spend money on it anyway.

I'm puzzled why so many don't think it a tad worrying for the club that it's owner lost 129 Mill spread betting on the financial markets in a week where everyone else seemed to be running for cover. Some have said he'll just win it back - yeah it works like that.

I know Ashley has stuck a lot of money in buying the club & reducing the debt, but how much have we spent on transfers, not much & BS did say the money wasn't there. Yet he can go out and blow that kind of money on sperad betting?

Some may choose to disbelieve the story - but there's been no denying it.

I'm puzzled why so many don't think it a tad worrying for the club that it's owner lost 129 Mill spread betting on the financial markets in a week where everyone else seemed to be running for cover. Some have said he'll just win it back - yeah it works like that.

I know Ashley has stuck a lot of money in buying the club & reducing the debt, but how much have we spent on transfers, not much & BS did say the money wasn't there. Yet he can go out and blow that kind of money on sperad betting?

Some may choose to disbelieve the story - but there's been no denying it.

first off it's his money. secandly he was,as the story goes originally betting with £300,000 per point and probably never thought that the fall could be so much.

It's his money & his club - no question. I'm interested in what kind of person he really is - we just don't know. What he's done is a bit like me going out and buying a PS3 as a play thing, not getting many games & then going to the betting shop and blowing half as much again on the cartoon dogs. I'd wish I'd bought a few more games, I hope he wishes he'd invested in his toy.

It's his money & his club - no question. I'm interested in what kind of person he really is - we just don't know. What he's done is a bit like me going out and buying a PS3 as a play thing, not getting many games & then going to the betting shop and blowing half as much again on the cartoon dogs. I'd wish I'd bought a few more games, I hope he wishes he'd invested in his toy.

Its nothing like that ;)

HBOS up 14% today, perhaps the tabloids will run a story about how the cash laden Newcastle owner wants to buy Manu or Liverpool from the yanks and run them as a nursery club for Newcastle. Makes about as much sense as anything else they print.

This aint a big deal at all, nothing to do with the club and wouldnt affect his personal wealth at all. I think people are thinking that £129m has been removed from his bank account and therefore cant be spent which is rubbish. HBOS will near enough recover there share price.

For what it's worth, an extract from one broker predicting loads more horrible stuff still to come yet singling out HBOS for a positive note: "Strategically we like HBOS (Target price 1007p) which has a 44% average LTV on its predominantly prime mortgage book, the strongest liabilities franchise of any UK Bank and is being valued at just 1.1x book."

HBOS up 14% today, perhaps the tabloids will run a story about how the cash laden Newcastle owner wants to buy Manu or Liverpool from the yanks and run them as a nursery club for Newcastle. Makes about as much sense as anything else they print.

How long will it take people to get he did not invest in the shares, he placed a bet. The only way he made more money was if he put more money on the line and placed another bet.

How long will it take people to get he did not invest in the shares, he placed a bet. The only way he made more money was if he put more money on the line and placed another bet.

No idea, I'm assuming here that the bet has now run it's course & that he's pissed the money up the wall for good on that loss.

Let's make it clear again - he didn't buy any shares - he bet on how'd they'd do. Great business - he must be using Terry Mac as his financial advisor.

Any chance he blew this instead of having to pay it to the Taxman instead.

A lot of companies have parties and staff event days as a way of using profits and so as not to have to give it to the government (as capital gains tax? - dont ask me to explain, I am not that clued up about it)

No idea, I'm assuming here that the bet has now run it's course & that he's pissed the money up the wall for good on that loss.

Let's make it clear again - he didn't buy any shares - he bet on how'd they'd do. Great business - he must be using Terry Mac as his financial advisor.

Quick question.  How do you think he got to be as rich as he is?

The answer is by taking risks.  This one hasn't worked, but he wins more times than he loses.

Get a grip FFS

Any chance he blew this instead of having to pay it to the Taxman instead.

A lot of companies have parties and staff event days as a way of using profits and so as not to have to give it to the government (as capital gains tax? - dont ask me to explain, I am not that clued up about it)

Whilst its not that straightforward, having 100% of a football club will also give him an opportunity to create some losses to be utilised elsewhere.

The answer is by taking risks.  This one hasn't worked, but he wins more times than he loses.

Get a grip FFS

I'd take a bet that he didn't do it by spread betting on the financial markets in a week where panic was the order of the day.

He got rich by being astute - what he did last week was plain stupid. Whoever did advise him shouldn't be in a job today & if he did it off his own back then we have a potential crackerjack on our hands. Let's get naked & all drink in the Black Bull.

As a club we need stability - here's hoping he can bring it.

Get a grip FFS

I'd take a bet that he didn't do it by spread betting on the financial markets in a week where panic was the order of the day.

He got rich by being astute - what he did last week was plain stupid. Whoever did advise him shouldn't be in a job today & if he did it off his own back then we have a potential crackerjack on our hands. Let's get naked & all drink in the Black Bull.

This has nothing to do with his running of the football club though. 

To call what he did stupid is a fantastic piece of hindsight.  Good to know that you know more than him about the financial markets though O0

You need to spend less time reading the NOTW

Get a grip FFS

This has nothing to do with his running of the football club though. 

To call what he did stupid is a fantastic piece of hindsight.  Good to know that you know more than him about the financial markets though O0

You need to spend less time reading the NOTW

Well I didn't lose jack shit spread betting last week. If you'd been watching the news it wouldn't have taken a lot of thinking to decide against taking risks last week. We have to hope it doesn't affect the running of the club.

I never read the NOTW - I do sometimes look at the pictures :)

Well I didn't lose jack shit spread betting last week. If you'd been watching the news it wouldn't have taken a lot of thinking to decide against taking risks last week. We have to hope it doesn't affect the running of the club.

I never read the NOTW - I do sometimes look at the pictures :)

You're clearly more financially astute then.  He obviously has no idea what he's doing.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the running of the club.