4-3-3 long term ?

madras

I think it can definitely work. Chelsea made it work for a couple of seasons until Abramovich started intervening whilst Barca have made theirs work for a few years as well so I don't see the need for the rigid 4-4-2 especially when it seems that many of our players complement each other in this attack-minded 4-3-3. I really hope he sticks with this because if the players are this comfortable with it after 2-3 games then surely there's more to come.

We won't play 433 long term.

What do you think Keegan will opt for then?

Martins and Owen are performing so well in this setup. Owen is now our captian and his attitude and his demeanour show a newfound level of committment from him that is exciting. He is going nowhere.

Ironically Owen is actually more of a goal threat in this setup as he has had so many more chances per game in his new position while being more of a complete player.

Martins is also getting better every game under Keegan and I don't think it will be possible to let him go as he is proving to be a very valuable commodity indeed.

I think we will still see a lot of this 4-3-3 again next season but we will also play a standard 4-4-2 I expect.

The 433 is a good system that covers a lot of inadequacies as you can 1 and sometimes 2 players hovering between the two stools. Ironically it is also a good system for a vastly intelligent side (well informed and pattern aware) with full backs who provide the intermittent width (Enrique and Beye have taken to it). However against sides with better players allround it puts you at a disadvantage.

Which is?

We definitely needed to get away from the bog standard traditional 4-4-2 that we were playing, with a target man, a finisher, two wingers and two in centre mid. It was predictable and easy to counter.

Whether you go for 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1, 4-4-1-1 or whatever, the important thing is to introduce that flexibility.

We definitely needed to get away from the bog standard traditional 4-4-2 that we were playing, with a target man, a finisher, two wingers and two in centre mid. It was predictable and easy to counter.

Whether you go for 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1, 4-4-1-1 or whatever, the important thing is to introduce that flexibility.

where we you 3 yerars ago when i was fighting this battle on my own ?

This 3 forwards malarkey brings back memories of '97 when Dalglish played Asprilla behind Ferdinand and Shearer. We had a fantastic run-in that year.  :)

...and then Dalglish bought his own players.

This 3 forwards malarkey brings back memories of '97 when Dalglish played Asprilla behind Ferdinand and Shearer. We had a fantastic run-in that year.  :)

...and then Dalglish bought his own players.

:lol:

Aye, there is that like.

I think 4-4-2 can still be effective given the right players, Arsenal looked great until just recently. I really like Man U's current system with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez running all over the shop. You need to buy the world's most talented and gifted players to make it work which could be considered a drawback though.

I think 4-4-2 can still be effective given the right players, Arsenal looked great until just recently. I really like Man U's current system with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez running all over the shop. You need to buy the world's most talented and gifted players to make it work which could be considered a drawback though.

Arsenal were mainly playing a 4-5-1 thing until recently though.

Yeah, when I've seen them recently, playing Bendtner up front with Adebayor, they've looked less effective. The switch to 4-4-2 hasn't helped them, but presumably Ade couldn't be expected to play an entire season up there on his own.

Guest teepee

Yeah, when I've seen them recently, playing Bendtner up front with Adebayor, they've looked less effective. The switch to 4-4-2 hasn't helped them, but presumably Ade couldn't be expected to play an entire season up there on his own.

bendtner and adebayor are too similar tbh - i also think that arsenal are better suited for a five man midfield with players roaming all over the place

we, however, probably have have a more "settled" system as we dont have the adebayors, ronaldos, rooneys etc..... and our current squad looks more suited for 4-3-3 than 4-4-2 tbh. it will be exiting to see whether keegan will stick with it or attempt to bring in players for a 4-4-2

whichever formation you end up with it must be populated with with dynamic fit individuals who can swarm all over the opposition when defending and get at and go past people when in possesion. Sadly this will rule out many of our current team, Viduka, Geremi and Butt in particular.

KK will know this and will have no qualms making wholesale changes to transform the squad in the close season.

We have seen how he can motivate and inspire what he has to work with.

We are about to see how ruthless and unsentimental he can be when he is given the opportunity to improve the squad.

Fasten your seatbelts for exciting times ahead.

Guest DONTOONER

I think we might stick to 4-3-3...after all depending on the players we might be able to buy in the summer.

I always felt that we are predictable based on 4-4-2...esp. Zog and milner's styles.......

Seeing us play 4-3-3 or whatever formation that it is,just gave me the old feeling of the keegan's team...Very unpredictable and refreshing.

Shame on me to have doubts ON KK, he still has the eye to maximize talents at his disposer.

IMO. we need more well rounded players like Barton and owen....that could pass and link up.

Its not that zog and duff or milner isnt good enough...just that they are good at dribbling and MAYBE crossing But they cant pick up clever passes like Geremi or owen or barton or viduka...Because of that our play has not being fluid for a long time.

However i would not mind just playing one of them....

Another important point to all this is that Keegan keeps on saying we only need a couple of top players to add to this small squad over the summer.

I presume therefore that the majority of the players we currently have will still be here next season, certainly the strikers who have done so well for him.

Therefore, if next season we still have all these strikers here it is probably likely that we will be setup pretty much the same way.

I'm starting to think that Keegan has uncovered the solution to the 451/433 formation.

After all, the 451 was brought in to try to stifle those classically effective 442 teams, and our downfall certainly coincided with over half the league adopting that system.

Since the second half vs Birmingham, we have outplayed three teams that fielded systems involving a three man central midfield. In that area, it looks like our midfield three can dominate the opponent, whereas we got overrun when it was just two man.

Because we have two less midfielders in total, it invites their wingers forward onto us, but our full backs are better than most of the 451 teams. Should a cross come in, we have two centre backs, a full back, and two central midfielders against one striker, one winger, and two central midfielders at most. Should their full back come to offer support, our third central midfielder has them covered. Two of three strikers can come deep to pick up and hold up any clearances.

Therefore we have it covered defensively, and challenge the opponents to commit themselves forward. Then it is our turn on the ball. Faye can come up the pitch leaving Taylor against ther lone striker, allowing Faye to dominate any clearances from high up the pitch. The opposition wingers have to watch our full backs pushing forwards, taking them out of the midfield battle. Our midfield trio, with the help of strikers coming deep are able to play around the opponents midfield three. Two strikers remain pushed up against four defenders, and the third striker and our midfielders are able to exploit the space it creates.

So in short, our 433 could have all 451 teams stuffed for a little while. Perhaps Newcastle United can kill off the 451 for good?

Guest MagicNumber9

It won't be a permanent system, it will be one of a number we'll use.

How do you know that, are you bumming KK? :D

It won't be a permanent system, it will be one of a number we'll use.

I dont mean to stoke a fire here, or open up another can of worms, but by my reckoning only the very best managers in the present have been able to train there team to be able to adapt to quickly to new formations quickly and efficiently.

Its hard to find many teams without world class managers who have had any degree of success by changing there formations alot, they are simply not good enough to coach tere players to adapt to formations on a weekly basis.

Is Keegan really skilled enough to a) make sure players are tacticaly aware during formations changes on a weekly basis and b) get the right plyaers in who are adaptabe and equally successful in different positions.

The jurys out for me, i cant help but think he'll find a couple of fomrations and stick.

My hope is that eventually we will go with the attacing 433 (not 433/451) but i can't see Keegan being able to get the quality of player to make that truly effective,so i can see him reverting back to 442  for the time being which is easier to buy for and familiar with the eventual quality gradually building up to be able to make the 433 truly effective.

It's been a few things that have initiated the change, if you ask me. First they lost Rosicky, then Eduardo, both two big players for them this season and they simply do not have adequate replacements. Van Persie looks off form/struggling for sharpness and Bendtner looks well out of his depth whenever I see him play, he's miles behind the rest of their first team technically, but I suppose that is to be expected with his style of play and his age. He'll probably catch on quick. Frustrating as hell to watch though, causes loads of their moves to break down when he's on the park.

Arsenal have been at their best with Adebayor leading the line with Eduardo/Hleb off him and Rosicky/Fabregas bombing on.

Speaking of the little Czech fella, they've missed him terribly since he got crocked against us in the FA Cup. Looking into that a bit more, they've only lost 2 of the 19 games he's played this season. Due back soon as well for them apparently. Fantastic footballer.

I think it can definitely work. Chelsea made it work for a couple of seasons until Abramovich started intervening whilst Barca have made theirs work for a few years as well so I don't see the need for the rigid 4-4-2 especially when it seems that many of our players complement each other in this attack-minded 4-3-3. I really hope he sticks with this because if the players are this comfortable with it after 2-3 games then surely there's more to come.

So why didn't it work when Sam tried to play 4-3-3 with our players?

Because he was playing 4-5-1? And that's just scratching the surface.

It's a completely different formation with completely different team selections to what Allardyce was playing. Not to mention all of the other stuff like motivation, psychology, etc.

Because he was playing 4-5-1? And that's just scratching the surface.

It's a completely different formation with completely different team selections to what Allardyce was playing. Not to mention all of the other stuff like motivation, psychology, etc.

Ah right! I thought he tried playing 4-3-3 then a few times, my mistake.