The NUFC section "own up" thread...........

madras

I was 100% convinced Allardyce would do the business given time and, even after the Keegan appointment, said to the boys at work that I thought Allardyce would have the club 'in a better place' if he had the 3.5 years that Keegan will get.

I thought Smith would prove to be effective, if not amazing. Wrong by the looks of it.

I thought Allardyce's buys in the summer would make us a top 6 side.

I argued that Souness, Roeder, and Allardyce needed to be given time.

Some people never learn.

P.S. Keegan needs to be given  time.

At least you got one right.   :lol:

Guest Stephen927

I also thought that we would do really well in the league this season, on the basis of the pre-season friendlies.  :blush:

I'd be the first one to admit if I was wrong but I have never ever been wrong...................

Apart from a couple of failed marriages

Smith was a good signing.

Butt was finished

Owen was knackered

Oba had no composure

Viduka was crap

Gerami was finished

Sam would tiurn this club around........etc..etc..etc

After following this club for 50 years you'd think I might learn something

For my own, I thought Allardyce was the right manager to take over from Roeder although I changed my mind early even though I didn't call for his head.  I also thought Gullit would do a good job taking over from Dalglish, the others I've been spot on with.

As for other things, everybody gets loads wrong; I rarely if ever predict the correct score although I don't do too badly with the actual results points wise.

As far as players go, I thought Sibierski would be the pits but was proven wrong, he was a lot better than I thought and scored more than I thought.  I was not keen on Smith but thought if he could go back to the player that played for Leeds then he'd do OK, I couldn't have predicted just how bad he's been.  I didn't think Luque would turn out as bad as he did, I thought he was a players who would do OK with the right management, Keegan would have made a player out of him.

I could probably add a lot more but don't have the time.

I'd be the first one to admit if I was wrong but I have never ever been wrong...................

Apart from a couple of failed marriages

Smith was a good signing.

Butt was finished

Owen was knackered

Oba had no composure

Viduka was crap

Gerami was finished

Sam would tiurn this club around........etc..etc..etc

After following this club for 50 years you'd think I might learn something

You've got a couple of those right though...

Guest Stephen927

Only this morning did I realise what 'Hot dog, jumping frog' was all about.

I still don't know  :doh:

Hmmm ok let's see:

I thought Joey Barton was a great signing at the time.

I thought Roeder was a good idea off the back of his caretaker run.

I thought Viana was a quality player and would go on to good things after he left (but I'm sure everyone remembers that anyway ;))

I thought signing Bellamy was a bad idea.

I thought Allardyce was a good choice for manager.

I thought we were fucked when we sold Andy Cole.

Can't think of anything else.

I thought Leazes/NE5 might post in this thread. How stupid am I!

He should at least have the decency to own up to thinking that world class continental managers and their agents would ring up Alan Oliver for Morts phone number. 

As for myself ... I thought Roz would turn out to be  our best defender.

Doesn't this thread just go to show what football is all about though?

It's a fucking love affair. Everything is emotive.

"He's gonna be the best, he's fucking awful, he's gonna be a great signing, he's the worst player I've seen in a toon shirt, why would we want him etc"

It about highs and lows, reputations, reprieves, hope, glory, expectation, disappointment, opinions, love, hatred, heart, skill, quality, endeavour.

It's our passion, our game and we love it.

You don't make cock ups like we've all admitted to here by sane logical judgements or careful analysis we make them because Newcastle United's not our monthly savings, our pension fund or our tax return - it's our lives, it's our love and that's what makes this whole rollercoaster brilliant.

Isn't it?

embaressingly, a couple of seasons back, i got "bramble 19" on the back of my shirt. i thought it would be funny as im a shite central defender and often used to get " titus bramble would be proud of that" by my glory hunting chelsea supporting mates. it was funny at first, novelty wore off, now hes at wigan and id look like an absolute tit if i wore it at a game

Guest Knightrider

Being right or wrong is irrelevant as it means nothing, outside of an internet forum anyway.

Jesus I'm almost always wrong but so fucking what. And when I get it right? Again so fucking what.

Being right or wrong is irrelevant as it means nothing, outside of an internet forum anyway.

Jesus I'm almost always wrong but so fucking what. And when I get it right? Again so fucking what.

Why would you say what you thought was going to happen if you didn't care whether or not you could accurately predict the future?

I plead guilty on charges of unrealistic optimism.

While I didn't want him, I argued on here Souness needed a bit more time, even if he was shit,

I thought Roeder deserved a shot (I know, I know!), after his decent caretaker stint,

I thought Big Sam was just the right kind of manager we needed and would turn us into a force given time,

I also thought we sacked him far too soon.

As for players, I've often defended Shola on here.

Thought Bramble, Maric, Kluivert, Duff and Smith would come good.

Thought Chopra should hav been given more of a chance.

A bit glass-half-full, but with NUFC I can't seem to help it, I want the players to be better than they are and usually fool myself that they are, and that we'll play better than we do, and success is just around the corner.

And like a lot of people on here, I always believe we'll do better than we do at the start of every season.