Harper or Given?

Rocker
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's bad management if he puts Given back in imo. Harper is playing well, keep him in.

I agree with this but would like to see him re-evaluate the situation again come preseason. I think Harper's been alright - better than I expected - but obviously not even close to Given at his best. I also still believe that in time, Given will recover his form if he can regain his confidence regarding his injuries, especially the niggling groin injury which has seemingly shortened his reach (when jumping) as well as his reaction time. But, quite pertinently, I'm pretty sure that an optimistic manager like Keegan will know what to say to help Given recover, unlike the dreary Roeder and Allardyce.

Guest Stephen927

When their both at their best, Shay is the better keeper.

Harpers form has been very good, he doesn't deserve to be dropped. It would be harsh if Given were to take his place in between the sticks straight away.

People on this forum are so fickle. One minute, "we are doomed to relegation", "TBH, Given is one of the top 3 in the country", "Keegan was the wrong choice imo", "Allardyce is the way up" to "the glory days are back", "Harper is much better than Given", "Keegan will bring back the glory days", "Allardyce is piss poor".

On topic though, Given he will soon rediscover his form providing we get behind him. 

Obviously there are few kneejerkers who that would suit but I prefer people who have a fluid mindset & can change how they think or feel about player ,manager, board or whatever. On a par, if not not worse than the "FICKLE" crew are people who defend a certain viewpoint or player regardless.

Guest JamesyJazz

Harper is simply hitting a great streak of form of late,the lad deserves his place,the commitment and dedication that he has shown to the shirt and team should never be taken lightly by any fan.The guy could have went to a number of Premiership clubs as first choice keeper the past few years but he chose to stick by the toon.

1st choice for me everytime!

My ideal scenario would see them both replaced by a better keeper.

But of the two I'd choose Harper.

this.

if given was a liner before, he's even more so now he's lost his bottle.

would rather see the back of them both though

Can't believe this opinion...since I was a kid we have had some really poor keepers. Given and Harper are among the best keepers we've ever had, and although Given may not be as good as he was pre-Harewood, we still have a pair of keepers most in the premiership would swap with. Personally I think that Harper is showing some decent form having had a run in the team, and it should act as a challenge to Given to try and get his place back.

My ideal scenario would see them both replaced by a better keeper.

But of the two I'd choose Harper.

this.

if given was a liner before, he's even more so now he's lost his bottle.

would rather see the back of them both though

Can't believe this opinion...since I was a kid we have had some really poor keepers. Given and Harper are among the best keepers we've ever had, and although Given may not be as good as he was pre-Harewood, we still have a pair of keepers most in the premiership would swap with. Personally I think that Harper is showing some decent form having had a run in the team, and it should act as a challenge to Given to try and get his place back.

Come to expect the majority to either underrate all our players or think we are better than we are (maybe a mixture of both).

Shay and Harper are both still good enough for us.

I'm not sure it is just a form thing with Harper. He's always been the steady and reliable keeper he has shown over the last few weeks. He's very underated ImO especially by his own fans. A keeper you can rely on, who's not prone to rushes of blood is priceless.

Guest sombrero

With all due respect and admiration for Givens service in the past I feel a lot safer right now with Harper in net.

aye i agree, i always felt given was the ebtter keeper and felt safer with him around, maybe its his influence on the pitch?, but you cant deny that given is poorer this season then previous seasons however dont forget, givens blunders may not completely be his own fault. what happens now if we get on a good run till the end of the season, with a team finally gelling, and stick given back in? perhaps the way he plays will change if the defense is better sorted as it seems to be these last two weeks?

Honestly I just don't feel as we are going to loose when I see Harper as number 1. I've always said that both keepers are great and that Harper deserved more than what he got during his 14 years or so with the club...Harper just deserves the hard work he has put on and anyone else with half his abilities would have left NUFC long time ago...

Guest Flair

Wow. Fickleness. That's almost as bad as being a paedo and a racist.

:rolleyes: Get f*****. I don't care.

Is that a dig at me?

I read about your "no fixture lists here" and then you posted a fixture list in the space of 10minutes. That I may add was fickle.

Don't normally get into stats but here's their respective Records for Premiership games started this season. (I think)

P    W  D    L    F    A    Pts

Harper        15  6  4    5    22  21  22

Given          18  4  4    10  18  29  16

Another decent peformance from Harper yesterday. Couple of decent saves (good hands instead of just parrying it out), good distribution, and the thing that impressed me most was on one or two occasions the last defender obviously got a clear shout to leave it (one with Faye in particular) for him to pick up.

It really is his shirt for now.

Guest optimistic nit

I'm not sure it is just a form thing with Harper. He's always been the steady and reliable keeper he has shown over the last few weeks. He's very underated ImO especially by his own fans. A keeper you can rely on, who's not prone to rushes of blood is priceless.

how shaky was he when given first started getting injured? i'm not against harper keeping his shirt if he keeps performing, even though i voted given, but given is the better keeper, and the best one we can realistically have in goal for us next season. were we not linked with that bolton keeper? he looked garbage yesterday.

how shaky was he when given first started getting injured? i'm not against harper keeping his shirt if he keeps performing, even though i voted given, but given is the better keeper, and the best one we can realistically have in goal for us next season. were we not linked with that bolton keeper? he looked garbage yesterday.

If you mean Jaaskelienen, he's out for the season. The keeper for Bolton yesterday was Ali Al-Habsi.

Don't normally get into stats but here's their respective Records for Premiership games started this season. (I think)

P    W   D    L    F     A    Pts

Harper         15   6   4    5    22   21   22

Given           18   4   4    10  18   29   16

That settles it then ;)

People on this forum are so fickle. One minute, "we are doomed to relegation", "TBH, Given is one of the top 3 in the country", "Keegan was the wrong choice imo", "Allardyce is the way up" to "the glory days are back", "Harper is much better than Given", "Keegan will bring back the glory days", "Allardyce is piss poor".

On topic though, Given he will soon rediscover his form providing we get behind him. 

in other news, a man has invented a wheel

in other news, a man has invented a wheel

:lol: