Keegan hails improving Enrique

Willow

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3385878,00.html

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has praised young defender Jose Enrique and backed him to improve further next season.

The 22-year-old Spaniard joined The Magpies for £6.5million from Villarreal last summer but was used sparingly by former manager Sam Allardyce.

However, Enrique has played his part in a defence which has conceded two goals in the last three games.

Keegan believes the left-back is starting to settle into the English game but has outlined some of the difficulties he has faced in his first season at St James' Park.

"Jose is improving with every game. You have got to remember, he has to learn the language - we have got a back four where only Steven Taylor speaks English," said Keegan.

"Sometimes in front of him, Jose has had Charles N'Zogbia or Damien Duff, and he cannot understand Damien either.

"It has taken him a little while to adapt. We have had a couple of meetings with his brother about what he has to do to improve.

Vital

"His brother speaks good English, and when Jose was out of the team, he was more or less asking, 'What does he need to do to get back into the team?'

"Whatever you are seeing now, it will be another 50 per cent once he has got a pre-season with us under his belt and has not been interrupted like he was last year.

"Apparently, he did not have a full pre-season, and that is vitally important for players.

"Players who miss any part of pre-season usually suffer somewhere in a season, and Jose, like all of them, had probably had a little problem with that."

Keegan accepts that Enrique still has much to learn, but feels the future is definitely bright for the youngster.

"His focus is better. There is still improvement in him, but he has got a lot of qualities," Keegan added.

"He has a lovely left foot and he has a maturity about him at times that belies his age. He is still a very young player."

I've been pretty impressed with his form of late. Still young and the lad has a bright future ahead of him after getting through a difficult patch of settling in. I think the team has really benefitted from keeping the team lineup consistent and not changing the defence around every game like we've done in the past. The defence still needs work but I think Enrique has been improving with every game.

I can see Jose having a good 2nd season!

Keegan likes to big up players during week. Enrique will probably score today.

I have noticed this :D

It's nice though because you feel better about the players, and you know they're feeling better about themselves as well.

not sure if he big up smith then he could score :lol:

I really, really like the guy and going with the above comments by Keegan I am hopeful he can overcome his many flaws because he has the potential there for sure.

what are the many flaws ?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Think Enrique has the potential to be the best left back in the league. Strong, quick, composed and very rarely gets beat

Think Enrique has the potential to be the best left back in the league. Strong, quick, composed and very rarely gets beat

Agreed. And this is not overhyping him or basing it only the past couple of games - I've always thought this about him ever since his first couple of games for the club. Will turn out to be one of Allardyce's best signings.

His biggest problem is linking up with other players down the flank when attacking from what I've seen.  It's so dangerous to lose possesion when your midfield and left back are caught out high up the pitch.

i like him a lot, as already mentioned in here, i would like to see another left back come in, as we desperately need cover, but i would like to see enrque as first choice next year.

i think he has a big future ahead

I remember KK already mentioning that we need another LB but it read like (from the interview) KK was saying we just need more cover, not necessarily someone to relegate Enrique to the bench. I'd be really pleased if he did that i.e. sign someone pretty young and hungry to back up Enrique. Obviously the kid should be highly rated/quality, but that'd be the way to go imo since it'd be cheaper and wouldn't upset a player who's been in good form recently. It would also leave funds for him to sign players in the key areas of the park (central defence, center mid, striker).

i also love that one trick he does!

whats the trick? I've seen some neat little plays when he's been under pressure. Kevin said that he's after another leftback in the summer to backup and/or compete with Jose so expect to see some healthy competition at that position next season :)