Beye today...

Willow

Hard to believe Sam Allardyce bought him.

Not really, he signed some canny players for us and for Bolton. He just seemed incapable of getting the most out of them, especially here.

Hard to believe Sam Allardyce bought him.

Not really, he signed some canny players for us and for Bolton. He just seemed incapable of getting the most out of them, especially here.

seems to me.... one good thing from sam is.... he get us proper defenders... which we must thank him for that

Note sure if this has been posted before, but it seems to be a blog type post from a Marseille fan when we signed Beye:

http://marseille.theoffside.com/french-ligue-1/marseille-loses-the-derbyand-its-captain.html

The other thing I’m pretty f****** pissed about is the HABIB BEYE CASE. Screw anybody who’s responsible for this fiasco. How do we treat one of our most loyal players, one who’s been playing here since 2003, who’s been the captain for two years and a leader since he arrived in this team. You make him the scapegoat for a collective disaster and just kick him out of the group to give the armband to sometone else. Habib Beye was player of the year in 2006 according to the fans and has always been able to help the team get to the next level. And because he’s so-so for the first two games you kick him out? Thank you very much Albert Emon and José Anigo! You have just lost the soul of the team trying to prove that “nobody is irreplaceable” bullshit. This is just as dumb as when Rolland Courbis benched Laurent Blanc in 1999 because he was “finished”. For memeory, Laurent Blanc was our captain and played two more years for Inter Milan and two additionnal years in Manchester. Habib Beye was the link between the coach and the players, he was the glue that held this team together. While everybody was mesmerized by Samir nasri and Ribery’s skills, by Lorik Cana messy haircut, nobody talked about Beye but everyone aknowledged the most important pice of our puzzle. If not for him, we wouldn’t be in the Champions League and that’s a fact.

Everybody was aware he was playing hurt last year, that didn’t prevent him from being excellent for thirty games or more. Everybody was aware he needed to rest more than the others but as his personnality dictated him, he never complained and he even went to the extra effort of coming back to Marseille earlier than most africans (who were playing the African Cup of Nations qualifiers) to be able to show the newbies the ways of the club. He only took a week of vacation and came back to start the championnat. Getting hurt very early on, he only played three friendlies and his first entire game was the season opener against Strasbourg.

Our whole organization dropped the ball by hurting such an amazing player in his pride when we needed the locker room to be united the most. So of course Habib Beye asked to be traded immediatly. Of course he’s already done with the club and of course his mind is already at Newcastle. We treated him like dirt for being subpar when we know nobody’s as good as him in this team. He was supposed to be a fixture and we humiliated him. I just hope we realize we’re messing up tommorrow and stall until friday night.

Seems like we signed Marseille's Rob Lee from all accounts.

Note sure if this has been posted before, but it seems to be a blog type post from a Marseille fan when we signed Beye:

http://marseille.theoffside.com/french-ligue-1/marseille-loses-the-derbyand-its-captain.html

The other thing I’m pretty f****** pissed about is the HABIB BEYE CASE. Screw anybody who’s responsible for this fiasco. How do we treat one of our most loyal players, one who’s been playing here since 2003, who’s been the captain for two years and a leader since he arrived in this team. You make him the scapegoat for a collective disaster and just kick him out of the group to give the armband to sometone else. Habib Beye was player of the year in 2006 according to the fans and has always been able to help the team get to the next level. And because he’s so-so for the first two games you kick him out? Thank you very much Albert Emon and José Anigo! You have just lost the soul of the team trying to prove that “nobody is irreplaceable” bullshit. This is just as dumb as when Rolland Courbis benched Laurent Blanc in 1999 because he was “finished”. For memeory, Laurent Blanc was our captain and played two more years for Inter Milan and two additionnal years in Manchester. Habib Beye was the link between the coach and the players, he was the glue that held this team together. While everybody was mesmerized by Samir nasri and Ribery’s skills, by Lorik Cana messy haircut, nobody talked about Beye but everyone aknowledged the most important pice of our puzzle. If not for him, we wouldn’t be in the Champions League and that’s a fact.

Everybody was aware he was playing hurt last year, that didn’t prevent him from being excellent for thirty games or more. Everybody was aware he needed to rest more than the others but as his personnality dictated him, he never complained and he even went to the extra effort of coming back to Marseille earlier than most africans (who were playing the African Cup of Nations qualifiers) to be able to show the newbies the ways of the club. He only took a week of vacation and came back to start the championnat. Getting hurt very early on, he only played three friendlies and his first entire game was the season opener against Strasbourg.

Our whole organization dropped the ball by hurting such an amazing player in his pride when we needed the locker room to be united the most. So of course Habib Beye asked to be traded immediatly. Of course he’s already done with the club and of course his mind is already at Newcastle. We treated him like dirt for being subpar when we know nobody’s as good as him in this team. He was supposed to be a fixture and we humiliated him. I just hope we realize we’re messing up tommorrow and stall until friday night.

Seems like we signed Marseille's Rob Lee from all accounts.

Doesn't that quote just sum up everything that's good about Habib Beye? A leader and a Champ and it's that never-say-die attitude that people here have really taken to IMO.

Beye has arguably been our player of the season and would have walked it if he'd played more games.

Seems a genuine "proper player", doesn't he?

Doesn't do anything spectacular, isn't just a grafter, he's just got an air of class about him and his attitude seems spot-on as well. He's been massively impressive considering the state we've been in at times this season, easily the best signing and best player for 07/08.

I genuinely don't think he'd look out of place at a top four club, he'd probably look even better to be honest.

Doesn't do anything spectacular, isn't just a grafter, he's just got an air of class about him and his attitude seems spot-on as well. He's been massively impressive considering the state we've been in at times this season, easily the best signing and best player for 07/08.

I genuinely don't think he'd look out of place at a top four club, he'd probably look even better to be honest.

Beye looks calm and assured, he just looks like a top class defender, if all of the Allardyce signings were as good as him we'd have had a very good season.  We give Allardyce stick for the way he (Allardyce) turned out but he's got to be given credit for Beye, he's come to a new country and fit straight in.

Beye looks calm and assured, he just looks like a top class defender, if all of the Allardyce signings were as good as him we'd have had a very good season.  We give Allardyce stick for the way he (Allardyce) turned out but he's got to be given credit for Beye, he's come to a new country and fit straight in.

i'd say the same about enrique and (just about) faye aswell. but his team set up's were awful. best example i can give is swindon. many said the team was built by macari but only played under hoddle.

i'd say the same about enrique and (just about) faye aswell. but his team set up's were awful. best example i can give is swindon. many said the team was built by macari but only played under hoddle.

I agree about the other two, I just think Beye has been the best of the lot.  I'm pinching myself just thinking about talking about us having 3 good defenders.

Roll on the summer and the possibility of us sorting the midfield and bringing them up to the level of those in front and behind them.

I could be wrong but didn't they play best under Ardiles where the diamond formation was first invented?

I could be wrong but didn't they play best under Ardiles where the diamond formation was first invented?

youre right...i mixed up my spiritual nut case with my argentine lawyer (macari built the team though)

Saw an article today about there being a lack of quality right backs these days, a few good players got mentions (Corluka, Hutton, Chimbonda) but was no shock to see Beye didn't get a single mention.

Saw an article today about there being a lack of quality right backs these days, a few good players got mentions (Corluka, Hutton, Chimbonda) but was no shock to see Beye didn't get a single mention.

Good. Keep him here.

The football lads down at uni have started to notice him, without any prompting from me, and a few of the coaches and whatnot have mentioned him as well as being amongst the best right-backs in the league when there's been discussions of that nature.

I'd be glad if he keeps under the radar though, as I hope he can maintain his level of performance and hopefully see out his career here. He looks a fit bloke and he seems fairly resilient as well, even though he's 30 he may still have a good few years left in him.

The point I tried to prove exactly.

He's been good, but not one of the best right-backs in the league. We see him as better than he actually has been because he is one of the few positives we can draw from this season.

I just hope he still has it in him.