Sunday Gossip

Thespence

NEWS OF THE WORLD

Real Madrid are locked in a battle to land Cristiano Ronaldo on the cheap.

Blackburn are ready to pay £3.5million for Fulham midfield ace Steven Davis.

Justin Hoyte could be the next British player to quit Arsenal.

Middlesbrough skipper Julio Arca is a target for Sunderland.

Newcastle want to land Aaron Lennon in a swap deal for Charles N'Zogbia.

Portsmouth's Sean Davis is a £2million target for Newcastle.

Sami Hyypia has agreed a new one-year deal at Liverpool.

Manchester United will find out this week if they can sign Klaas Jan Huntelaar in the summer.

Everton want Wolves striker Sylvain Ebanks-Blake.

Ian Harte is being chased by Ipswich, Leicester and Norwich.

Brazlian starlet Diego remains on Arsenal's wanted list while Arsene Wenger is also eyeing goalkeeper Chris Kirkland.

Rupert Lowe will try to tempt Glenn Hoddle back to Southampton if he re-takes control of the club.

Wolves face opposition from Everton in their battle to land Hearts defender Christophe Berra.

THE PEOPLE

Peter Crouch has agreed to return to Portsmouth in the summer in a deal which will be worth £8million.

Arsene Wenger is ready to snap-up Porto winger Ricardo Quaresma.

Manchester City are ready to make a £5million move for Wigan winger Luis Antonio Valencia.

Liverpool's FA Youth Cup-winning skipper Jay Spearing is wanted by Chesterfield.

Sunderland want goalkeeper Mark Oxley from Rotherham.

Middlesbrough are to make a £2.5million move for Fulham ace Jimmy Bullard.

Freddie Eastwood will finally join Coventry for £1mllion in the summer.

Former Celtic midfielder Stephen Pearson is wanted by Birmingham.

Everton are chasing £4million-rated Wolves striker Sylvain Ebanks-Blake.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is to move for Ghana international Anthony Annan.

Liverpool are set to land Lee Cattermole for £3million from Middlesbrough.  mackems.gif

Spurs are lining up a £1million bid for Molde FK defender Vegaard Forren.

West Ham are keeping tabs on Peterborough scoring sensation Aaron McLean.

Wigan are among several Premier League clubs keeping tabs on Ipswich star Owen Garvan.

Chelsea are on the trail of Serbia striker Miralem Sulejmani.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Tottenam have put a staggering £40million price tag on unsettled striker Dimitar Berbatov.

Liverpool have offered Peter Crouch a new long-term deal.

Kevin Keegan has warned Mike Ashley he must splash the cash if Newcastle are to win trophies again.

Kevin Blackwell could have the choice of managing Sheffield United or Leicester in the summer.

West Ham full-back George McCartney is on the AC Milan shortlist to replace Paolo Maldini. mackems.gif

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks hopes to have a package in place to buy out George Gillett inside 10 days.

West Ham are chasing Cagliari star Pasquale Foggia.

Mohammed Al Fayed is ready to keep his Fulham players on Premier League wages in an attempt to stop a mass exodus from Craven Cottage.

DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Arsenal are eyeing unsettled Newcastle pair Obafemi Martins and Charles N'Zogbia.

Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia has agreed a deal to keep him at Anfield until the summer of 2009.

Atletico Madrid have lined up a £5million move for El-Hadji Diouf who is heading for the exit door at Bolton.

Hull City defender Michael Turner has been offered a new three-year deal.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill will move for Jussi Jaaskelainen if he fails to land Scott Carson on a permanent basis.

Patrik Berger will quiit Aston Villa in the summer and could return home to Slavia Prague.

Portsmouth and West Ham are leading the chase for Ipswich's rising star Danny Haynes.

Chelsea are monitoring the progress of Heerenveen starlet Miralem Sulejmani.

Geoff Horsfield will quit Sheffield United in the summer and move to Southampton.

Barcelona are lining up a summer move for Manchester United defender Gerard Pique.

Tottenham will fight to keep Newcastle target Aaron Lennon.

SUNDAY EXPRESS

Spurs are determined to win the summer race to land Blackburn ace David Bentley.

SUNDAY MAIL

Blackburn are lining up a £3.5million summer move for Rangers' loan star Steve Davis

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3390988,00.html

Kevin Keegan has warned Newcastle owner Mike Ashley he must splash out to end the Magpies' woeful 53-year run without a major domestic trophy.

And Keegan, who almost pipped Manchester United in the Premiership in 1996, pulled no punches by telling Britain's 25th richest man that the days of the Toon threatening any of the big four for the title are a distant memory.

A cup success is as much Keegan dares to hope for now as he concedes Newcastle have gone backwards since the exciting era he masterminded in the mid-1990s.

In a week when rival boss Roy Keane estimated he would need £50million to take Sunderland to the next level, Keegan challenged Ashley to match his ambition by dipping into his fortune to buy "four or five" quality players.

Keegan said: "Mr Ashley said he wanted to win something in three-and-a-half years. When we sit down in the next few weeks we will see how desperate he is to win something in that time.

"That will become clear when we see the players this club will go after in the summer. We haven't had that conversation yet."

But Keegan admits the days of battling for the title or beating Manchester United to big signings are light years away.

Keegan added: "It's a different world now compared to when I first came here as a manager.

"Without showing any disrespect to my players I think you could take any one of the players on the benches of the top four and they would be five of the first six names on the team sheet at most other clubs.

"You look at Manchester United and their bench is £60-70m worth of players. You've got a Nani or a Hargreaves on the bench.

"It's not practical or feasible for a manager of Newcastle United to say what I said before, 'Watch out Sir Alex, we are after your title'.

"They have gone on and in many respects we have gone backwards.

"You hope you could appeal to some of the players who go to the top four clubs and don't play every week. We need four or five players but if you are clever that doesn't need to cost a lot of money. You can get Bosmans worth £10m so we will see what we can do there too.

"We can go for the top players but we can't offer them European football - and we can't offer them a top-four finish next season."

While ruling out a top-four challenge, Keegan believes Newcastle must finish in the top eight.

He added: "Outside of the top eight would be unacceptable. We've got a group of teams such as Spurs, Villa and Everton we can challenge but not the top four.

"If you forget ability and look at the size of the club, the turnover, the fan base and take everything into consideration we should finish fifth to eighth."

Arsenal are eyeing unsettled Newcastle pair Obafemi Martins and Charles N'Zogbia

Looks really unsettled atm, *sigh* you know its a sign we're doing well again when the media start spreading rumours of our best players being unhappy.

Just yawn and move on lads

Sean Davis. Do me a f****** favour.

He's pretty average but I'd rather have him in my team than a geriatric Nicky Butt any day. Good squad player for anyone outside the top 4 I reckon.

He's pretty average but I'd rather have him in my team than a geriatric Nicky Butt any day. Good squad player for anyone outside the top 4 I reckon.

The difference being that Davies will never have the class of Butt.

Butt is getting on but, very occasionally, he can make a major difference to a game. He probably does this 5 times a season imo. The rest of the time he's a Davies like journeyman.

I don't think Davies would have that influence over enough games a season to justify signing him personally.

Diarra or similar is where we should be aiming.

Butt is getting on but, very occasionally, he can make a major difference to a game. He probably does this 5 times a season imo. The rest of the time he's a Davies like journeyman.

I don't think Davies would have that influence over enough games a season to justify signing him personally.

Granted I only saw the first half & granted it was only one game, but did you see Diarra yesterday?

Granted I only saw the first half & granted it was only one game, but did you see Diarra yesterday?

I didn't mate. From what I've seen of him so far though, he looks like he could improve our midfield with his distribution, tackling and pace.

I would like to see him sitting behind an attacking midfielder in the way that Mascherano does for Gerrard.

What I have seen of him has been enough to make me think he'd make an instant impact/immediate improvement.

Sean Davis aint' that bad, could be a decent squad player for us (and we need a bigger squad!).

Please, lets just not even entertain the idea of davis playing for us, I'm sick of settling for average players. We need some exceptional buys plus youngsters. Ignore this rumour as its obviously pure fabricated shite.

When Oba was somersaulting and dancing yesterday, my first reaction was that he clearly wants to be away.

Smokescreen tbh. Same as Ashley singing at Spurs. They obviously hate the club.