Nicky Butt - an appreciation

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I don't rate him as a footballer these days, although he's been playing very well of late, but his character is unquestionable in my view and for me he has been a real plus point in Keegan's short reign and a driving force behind the recent upturn in performances and results. Something I feel needs mentioned as others get all the plaudits or limelight.

Michael Owen may be our skipper in name but I feel Butt is the real leader - both in stature and character. I remember a period against Fulham at home where we were failing to get on the ball and allowing Fulham all the possession and in his sheer frustration Butt chased down a 50 yard Fulham backpass from 60 yards despite no chance of running it down, before turning around and urging his team-mates to start pressing in a similar vein and to move up the pitch a few yards. They dully followed his lead.

It is that level of drive and self responsibility that makes him stand out as a character at this club, a club that doesn't have many albeit. Nonetheless I really appreciate it myself, especially when the chips are down or the player himself isn't playing particularly well which Butt hadn't been prior to KK's arrival.

I also feel he needs commended for the way in which he's turned his Toon career around which at one point seemed over before it even got started, especially considering his age and what he's achieved in his career already. The fact he has done so shows me he wants to be part of this club's fortunes and doesn't want to end his career on a sore point, but having contributed to the cause.

For me it's just a shame he's at the age he is because the Nicky Butt that starred in the 2002 World Cup would have been a real player in a typical Keegan side.

Anyway while others grab the headlines and rightly get attention and applause, I'd like to hold Butt up as a key figure for us recently and since joining, an example of what is required character wise to play for this club  :thup:

He was fantastic yesterday.

He's certainly turned it around, so well done to him.  O0

I remember when Souness was here, he moaned about his lack of starts, so Souness dropped Faye and started with him the next game. He put in a performance so woeful he should have been wearing a sandwich board saying "I really don't want to be here."

Quite a transformation.

Guest Knightrider

Agreed. Has a bit of a topsy turvy career up here but under Kevin, had he been a few years younger, could have been the

new David Batty (who I felt was class under Keegan)

Many people wrongly point to Batty's arrival as having had a negative impact on the balance of KK's side and with it affecting our ability to win the title, but he was class in the period when he signed all the way to the end of that season, displaying something he rarely got credited for - his passing abilities.

Guest float one in

I think he's been pretty good all season tbh, all things considered. Was good last season as well.

Agreed. Has a bit of a topsy turvy career up here but under Kevin, had he been a few years younger, could have been the

new David Batty (who I felt was class under Keegan)

Many people wrongly point to Batty's arrival as having had a negative impact on the balance of KK's side and with it affecting our ability to win the title, but he was class in the period when he signed all the way to the end of that season, displaying something he rarely got credited for - his passing abilities.

I really changed my opinion of Batty when he we signed him. His passing was excellent.

I think its a good point to highlight Butt's previous successes at Man U. He could easily just take his money and see out the rest of his career but he does show signs that he really wants to put every effort into being a success at Newcastle.

Yeah, credit where it's due to Butt. He was universally hated by the fans a few years back, and he couldn't have been enjoying life with Newcastle. But he stuck it out, showed a lot of character, and has been an important player in turning us around.

Great how he's got back on his game in the past three~four matches.

Still needs to be replaced in the summer though.

You've missed the point...we've started to win some games, so it doesn't matter what the players did before. He's been good for the past few games, so he's a legend. Didn't you get the memo?  ;D

For me, Butts performances have highlighted the importance of geting a new DM, thought for a while now that whever Butt has a good game so do we, unfortunately he's not getting any younger and isnt as effective as he once was. Still think his distribution is tosh at times though!!

Guest Knightrider

He's flitted between good and terrible this season, very inconsistent. Looked very good in out mini resurgence though.

You're describing the team there, coincidence?

He's flitted between good and terrible this season, very inconsistent. Looked very good in out mini resurgence though.

You're describing the team there, coincidence?

I'm inclined to think that when the team plays well, so does Butt, rather than the other way round. He's never struck me as one for rallying the troops and turning a poor performance round, although with his experience and in his role, he ought to be a leader.

Nicky Butt in TF - 'I'm a Manchester lad and I was at Man United for 16 years from 13. That's a long time so obviously I still have friends there, I know the manager very well but that said, yeah, I feel like a Mag'

Yeah, credit where it's due to Butt. He was universally hated by the fans a few years back, and he couldn't have been enjoying life with Newcastle. But he stuck it out, showed a lot of character, and has been an important player in turning us around.

:thup:

He has been great the last few games but I was very frustrated with him earlier in the season. His passing isn't the best and all the long passes he sent over the line all the time almost drove me mad.