Muslim football fans

brummie

The 'funny' thing is, this is (I assume) a club initiative to get more people going, yet it's being portrayed as some sort of Islamic attack on English football. They'll be demanding public stonings at half-time next, etc. :razz:

Perhaps we could bring that in to  use against some of the shite we currently have at the club.

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

Wont be long until the Muslims will want all alcohol banned and only halal food served.

Aye, that's definitely the next step like...

:rolleyes:

mackems.gif They weren't even the ones who asked for it. It was a move by the villa board; a very sound financial one. They lose nothing by serving halal rather than haram meat and gain potentially a few more fans.

Yet, as Alex says, it is being portrayed as some sort of attack on British traditional culture and values by the muslims, who will obviously like nothing better than bringing it down. Looks like some have been reading too many tabloids.

What a ridiculous statement by jarralad.

whats aston like as an area, i was thinking of going there for uni. i always thought aston villa wsa the posh side of birminghma?

Its not a nice place.

Birmingham city centre and its ameneties and attractions have been completley revitalised in the last few years and make its centre as good as anywhere,  but the signs of urban decay and division of the communities in the suburbs including Aston make it  a horrible place imo.

Absolute joke of an idea to be honest.

So they get cheap tickets....because they are muslims. That's a disgrace to be fair.

Just letting them have there own part of the ground? Absolute joke as well. I've got nothig against them attending matches obviously, but  keeping them together in their own stand is a joke.

The food bit is ok, why not just have it in all areas of the ground though? As in you can have a burger if you want, or the muslims in that section can have halal or whatever it is. Although it is setting a precedent, should Italians coming to watch the game expect pasta and pizza? Should French people living in England demand frogs legs and the likes? Of course not. Although as you say there does seem to be a strong presence of muslim fans at the games, so maybe the food isnt a bad idea.

All in all it's a bit of a disgarce to be fair. And it's discrimanation against Villa fans like yourself. You pay full whack for ya ticket, but the nice little muslims can get in cheaper and have there own tier to be with each other. Absolutely terrible.

Allah wept.

To be fair

It is artificial segregation really.

I'm sure that there would be less race issues if people from different communities integrated with white British society rather than all being bunched together, talking to one another in their own languages etc.

The separate communities you see in many cities just leads to mistrust and lack of understanding.

Yeah but this is about integration, albeit slowly. They're not saying to the white male demographic 'nah, you're not coming to this one' and giving the tix to Muslims. They're selling tickets which wouldn't have been normally sold. It's a marketable ploy, which is obviously quite effective. Credit to Villa for being smart enough and also for not being afraid of the reaction that some of their more right-wing fans might have.

I honestly fear for the future of Britain if any significant portion of the population share's the perceptions of jarralad et al.

As far as immigration is concerned, I'm pretty conservative and assimilationist myself, but...

This = Islamic cultural invasion of Britain!?! How  ???

Why?  :frantic:

I don't get what's wrong about encouraging people who live around the ground to come and try a game that they probably haven't come to before? Or wouldn't think they were welcome to come to before, more like it.

TBF, you don't see many Asians at football full stop. At Watford, I see a few but considering the large Muslim/Pakistani community near Vicarage Road, you see none of them there. They all support big clubs, but don't attend. Why is this though?

TBF, you don't see many Asians at football full stop. At Watford, I see a few but considering the large Muslim/Pakistani community near Vicarage Road, you see none of them there. They all support big clubs, but don't attend. Why is this though?

Game really isn't very popular in India/Pakistan. Can't comment on how popular it is in the Middle East.

The lack of Halal food, the alcohol, and the rowdy atmosphere may also be contributing factors for those of them who are practicing Muslims.

Can they not go to the match and not drink anyway and sell Halal food next to the normal food at the match?

They'll never intergrate if they have their own areas.

Bit silly really.

Funny how all these Muslims working in and owning restaurants have no problem serving or selling alcohol. Crap idea. Like it or lump it.

That's unfair. I know quite a few Muslims who drink and I know others who won't touch the stuff. They're no different to Christians or football fans (hey, we have strong beliefs, too) in that they range from fundamentalist (women must be covered/no sex before marriage/go to every away game) to nominal believers (don't eat pork/go to church at Easter/watch the game if it's on telly and I'm not busy).

Sorry about my ignorance, but what do you mean by Muslim? Seems to be plenty of Muslim fans who have no problem attending matches throughout Africa and Asia. Why would they need special incentive to attend matches in England?

If the Muslims referred to are from Pakistan/India, why are they being specifically targeted? Do South Asians with Hindu or Sikh backgrounds attend the games?

A lot of it is cultural, I think. India, Bangladesh, Pakistan are cricketing countries and there's relatively little interest in footie. Like Hull or Wigan, I suppose.

I honestly fear for the future of Britain if any significant portion of the population share's the perceptions of jarralad et al.

As far as immigration is concerned, I'm pretty conservative and assimilationist myself, but...

This = Islamic cultural invasion of Britain!?! How  ???

Why?  :frantic:

It can be seen as pandering to a minority. First step on a slippery slope, give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile etc. etc. If it were any group but Muslims, I doubt anyone would have batted an eyelid.

Game really isn't very popular in India/Pakistan. Can't comment on how popular it is in the Middle East.

The lack of Halal food, the alcohol, and the rowdy atmosphere may also be contributing factors for those of them who are practicing Muslims.

Speaking as someone of Indian origin I would refute that, it's not hugely popular (in comparison to Cricket) but there are lots of games shown on TV and if like me were born and raised in this country (as with many of the younger Muslims/Pakistanis/Asians) I naturally developed an interest in football and look forward to attending games, why don't that many of them too? You'd have thought more would, really.

Speaking as someone of Indian origin I would refute that, it's not hugely popular (in comparison to Cricket) but there are lots of games shown on TV and if like me were born and raised in this country (as with many of the younger Muslims/Pakistanis/Asians) I naturally developed an interest in football and look forward to attending games, why don't that many of them too? You'd have thought more would, really.

I was mistaken, fair enough. Always assumed Cricket was king and nobody watched football in India/Pakistan.

As far as growing up here negating cultural influence, I'd say that the generational influence is pretty huge.  A lot of Britons get attatched to thier local clubs through their parents, and for immigrant children who may or may not have parents that watch football, I assume there's some negative correlation there.

I was mistaken, fair enough. Always assumed Cricket was king and nobody watched football in India/Pakistan.

As far as growing up here negating cultural influence, I'd say that the generational influence is pretty huge.  A lot of Britons get attatched to thier local clubs through their parents, and for immigrant children who may or may not have parents that watch football, I assume there's some negative correlation there.

Ah, fair point and the upbringing does probably apply to me. My uncle and cousins support Southampton and when I was 4/5 followed them, before my cousin came to Uni and lived nearby and took me to Watford matches, so since them there's only been one team for me. :)

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

I reckon there's quite a few reasons. There seems to be quite a lot of sikhs and hindus who support man utd; you always see them at OT. But I reckon quite a lot of ethnic minorities might be quite 'intimidated' if you will. I personally, despite being a black muslim, have never been intimidated by football and have had a season ticket for the last few seasons. I don't drink the alcohol, don't go into the pubs, don't wat the food inside whl etc. But I make it work and I love it.

However, I remember watching a show a few years ago; one of those appalling day time shows you watch when you are home sick. They found 2 fans, one black/indian ( can't remember) and one white who both had a season ticket at the same club. They did them over, changed their skin colours for the day and both noticed marked differences in the way they are treated at the match. Make of that what you will.

Because they don't develop an attachment to wherever they grew up? It might be hard for Asians in England to develop an attachment to their birthplace if their culture (parents, religion etc.) is entirely different to what you'd normally class as 'British' culture. Maybe that's why Asians tend to stick together seeing as they have more in common as well? And since this culture doesn't include football, you'd have to be pretty 'against the grain' to go to football matches.

I don't know how to explain the liking big clubs thing but maybe it's similar to foreigners like myself in that there's no geographical attachment and therefore there was actually a choice, and who'd want to support Wigan when you can support Man Utd?

I reckon there's quite a few reasons. There seems to be quite a lot of sikhs and hindus who support man utd; you always see them at OT. But I reckon quite a lot of ethnic minorities might be quite 'intimidated' if you will. I personally, despite being a black muslim, have never been intimidated by football and have had a season ticket for the last few seasons. I don't drink the alcohol, don't go into the pubs, don't wat the food inside whl etc. But I make it work and I love it.

However, I remember watching a show a few years ago; one of those appalling day time shows you watch when you are home sick. They found 2 fans, one black/indian ( can't remember) and one white who both had a season ticket at the same club. They did them over, changed their skin colours for the day and both noticed marked differences in the way they are treated at the match. Make of that what you will.

The intimidation thing isn't completely farfetched. I'm East Asian and I often feel that people at pubs and the match are just a bit off in the way they react to me, although I'm sure most of it isn't intentional.

Probably just wondering why I'm at SJP and not Old Trafford.  :razz:

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

The intimidation thing isn't completely farfetched. I'm East Asian and I often feel that people at pubs and the match are just a bit off in the way they react to me, although I'm sure most of it isn't intentional.

Probably just wondering why I'm at SJP and not Old Trafford.  :razz:

Most of it definantly isn't intentional. However, I'm quite lucky you could say in that, apart from being black, I'm not outwardly different from anyone else going. Some find it strange I don't drink and they probably assume I am a recovering alcoholic  :lol: but I've been through far worse in my life to be bothered by such things. For others though, it is different. I know muslim women who wear the hijab, Indians that wear turbans, a few Nigerians who always wear the full traditional clothes of their tribes ( wouldn't mind wearing it myself actually). For them, it is surely a lot harder to go to football matches.

Why are we being treated like some mythical creatures from a plant far far away ???

I'm a Muslim and i've attened a few matchs  at SJP and other stadiums, i just do what everyone else does, buy my own ticket just like everyone else and support my team..