Portsmouth 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 12/04/08 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

gutted we didn't pick up the three points in the end, but as has been said many times, a draw down at Fratton Park is not a bad result. This will be another game of special interest for me next season though, after the 4-1 at SJP and all Redknapp's mouthing off, we really owe these guys a stuffing... here's hoping it comes next season.

Particularly enjoyed the round of 'You only stayed for the Sandbanks', I even got the feeling Setanta had to keep changing their live mics as our fans were too loud, certainly near the beginning.

Guest MrShens

Good result considering the opposition's run of late.  Never gave up either and still pressed them with shots right to the end.  Good work.

Martins was great again today. Really put himself about.

Worked hard, but his decision-making at crucial times let him down.

He should have pulled it back at that instant where James saved at his near post, granted.

Nonetheless played well I thought.

Barton was MOTM for me. Tireless.

Did nothing noteworthy though. None of our players did.

Doesnt happen often, but this is one of those games where noone should get MOTM.

Fair enough.

Happy with the overal situation. A few games ago if you had told me we could go to Portsmouth and look very comfortable i would have laughed in your face. Now i'm coming away feeling disapointed that we haven't won it. Pompey had TWO shots on goal, which suggests our defence is much improved.

Harper- 7 Fairly comfortable afternoon

Beye- 6 Solid in defence but could have got forward more

Taylor- 7 Good performance. Dealt with Kanu all game long

Faye- 6 Couple of sloppy moments against an in form Defoe but ok overall

Enrique- 7 Good defensively, mixed passing

Geremi, Butt and Barton 7- All work extremely hard, Geremi looking our biggest threat

Owen- 7 Industrious but should have scored

Viduka- 6 Fairly quiet day. Distin kept him quiet

Martins- 8 Best player on the park by a mile.

MOTM is between Butt and Barton, but I think I'll plump for Barton as he passed the ball around better.

Would do a list of player ratings, but they all scored 7 for me, so not much point.

Guest nufc222

Reduced them to long ball, though Geremi still hasn't sorted his '1st man' problem at corners. How much longer will he be entrusted with this job?

Still, well happy with the 0-0 in a game we definitely had the better of.

Agree with all that. Why do they keep going with that faye front post plan, mix it up for gods sake.

Agree with Barton for MOM worked hard and very tidy.

Delivery from set-pieces where very poor and that was the worst thing you could say about the performance. Not 1 decent corner from what I saw (the second half). Geremi should aim for the opposite corner flag, he rarely beat Kanu and whatshisface at the near post.

Faye & Taylor weren't convincing either but a good result in the end. Very difficult team to break down.

Still on track for an undefeated run to the end, and still within reach of 10th...

We just didn't have that special spark in the final 3rd today, but it was still a good performance. Decent pressure up front, and not that many defensive errors. Clean sheets are always welcome, given our track record on conceded goals this season. Our first test of the new formation against a top-half side, and I think we held our own fairly well. James made a couple very good saves, and on another day, we may have squeezed one past him.

Overall, I'd call a draw a fair result for the day.

Viduka was fucking shite today like, not in the game at all.

He definitely didn't have it going. Thought he should have come off 10-15 minutes before he did. Not for Smith though.

This game has shown that we must bring in younger replacements for Viduka, Butt and Geremi.

Butt and Geremi were good. Butt's movement on the break was top notch, and he was defensively sound as well. Geremi's set pieces were poor, but all high balls were poor, from everyone, if you didn't notice. It looked fairly windy. Not that I would mind younger versions of the same class.