Portsmouth 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 12/04/08 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Enrique  O0, best full back on display today

Never got round him, matched johnson for pace and is getting far more confident in possession!

Apart from the three times he kicked the ball straight off the pitch he was very good. Had a better game than Beye.

Enrique  O0, best full back on display today

Never got round him, matched johnson for pace and is getting far more confident in possession!

Agree with that! he's certainly getting better with every game can't wait until next season with him playing.

Pleasing that the inevitable dip in performance didn't led to defeat.

Overall i thought Owen was a little too deep, Enrique wasteful in possession and Beye nonexistent going forward. Those three need to perform for this formation to work.

We've played shite sides so far, this was our first real test and IMO we passed it. It was by no means a dip in performance, we were just playing a better side. In some respects there are more positives from this game than there were against Reading.

The team, the formation may have passed the test but i didn't think the individuals were as sharp in possession.

Overall i thought Owen was a little too deep, Enrique wasteful in possession and Beye nonexistent going forward. Those three need to perform for this formation to work.

We've played shite sides so far, this was our first real test and IMO we passed it. It was by no means a dip in performance, we were just playing a better side. In some respects there are more positives from this game than there were against Reading.

The team, the formation may have passed the test but i didn't think the individuals were as sharp in possession.

Maybe so but i think thats super critical. Like Dave says Pompey are very physical and all things considered it was definately a more  positive performance than a negative one.

Harper - 7 - made a couple of awkward catches

Beye - 6 - wasn't good enough going forward, portsmouth doubled up on him often and he didnt have the skill to get past them, but defended his flank well.

Taylor - 6 - did his job well, had a couple of shaky moments where he had to play it back to harper but dealt with it well. couldve given away a pen

Faye - 6 - similar to taylor, did well on the few tricky challenges he faced, but also had one or two errors, one almost led to a defoe goal

Enrique - 6 - uncharacteristically poor in possession, some bad passing, let johnson have too much of the ball

Butt - 8 - broke up pompey's attacks brilliantly on numerous occasions, played it simply rather than wasting it with long balls, MOTM

Barton - 7 - drove forward well a few times, bit dodgy off the ball for me, tho the yellow was a needed, if cynical, hack

Geremi - 6 - looked our best bet for creating a chance but poor delivery/control let him down too often

Martins - 7 - always a threat away from home, very tricky, had a couple of strong shots, best forward by a mile

Viduka - 5 - never looked in the game, movement always lets him down

Owen - 6 - neat and tidy, but never looked like creating anything in his deep position, wasted a good chance

Guest Coubury

Enrique really needs to work on his passing

so many times this season he kicks it straight out of play fs

Guest Knightrider

KK being too kind to Pompey there, but very diplomatic of him. Tellingly, he's very happy and you get the impression he was dying to wax lyrical. Good stuff though, keeping a check on it all. I thought we were very strong myself and saw many many good things. The transformation in our play has been nothing short of amazing.

If we beat the mackems we'll have more points than last season, who would have thought that a few weeks ago?  We've had quite a good day today, a draw isn't a bad result, I'm happy enough to come away with a point.

Disagree, his passing this season has been excellent just today he was a bit off.

no he hasen´t. the whole squed needs to pratic this.

Guest Knightrider

Disagree, his passing this season has been excellent just today he was a bit off.

I can live with the odd miss-hit pass, what pleases me is the intent to play the ball, or the ideas behind the passes. Enrique was trying to set Martins away with a curved channel ball in between the full-back and centre-half, while playing on the touchline himself, one of the hardest passes to pull off. With such passes, you're going to send a few astray, but it only takes one killer ball....

I can live with the odd miss-hit pass, what pleases me is the intent to play the ball, or the ideas behind the passes. Enrique was trying to set Martins away with a curved channel ball in between the full-back and centre-half, while playing on the touchline himself, one of the hardest passes to pull off. With such passes, you're going to send a few astray, but it only takes one killer ball....

I agree, some of his passes this season have been brilliant, and he seems to consistently pull them off. Him and Martins are an extremely dangerous combination down that left flank.

An even game, but I thought we had the edge and were going to nick it.

Viduka struggled to get involved. With the new system, he seemed to have to drop deeper, but really he does all his best work around the penalty area.

The three midfield players all did well. They seem to find a lot more time and space in the 4-3-3.

Glen Johnson caused us quite a few problems. I'd really like to have seen him come here, because he's a talent that was always going to come good at some stage.

We've played s**** sides so far, this was our first real test and IMO we passed it. It was by no means a dip in performance, we were just playing a better side. In some respects there are more positives from this game than there were against Reading.

We've played away against two sides who we will hopefully be competing with for a European spot next season and played very well both times.