Our Wayne Is Better Than Yours

Tooj

Man U Rooney for me, but only just.

It's a difficult one, 2 me its basically split into the Rooney of old ie England Euro 2004 or Rooney of knew Man U at present, both players have there merits. rooney at present is less effective as an indivudal but very very eefective as a team, but the old Rooney had the ability to grab the game by the balls.

Rooney is less fiery, and less selfish, but overall he's a better player. What ultimately counts is his contribution to the team as a whole.

His sending off in the last World Cup seemed to be a watershed for him. Although, rather bizarrely, Ronaldo got the blame, Rooney himself knew the magnitude of what he'd done - ie cost us our chance of winning the competition. His on-field behaviour is now very good, and he's able to put in a solid 90 minute contribution, rather than play in fits and starts.

Part of the problem is that he hasn't developed into the type of player that people thought he would. 

He's not turned into the Gascoigne / Ronaldinho player the media & fans had him down as, but he's exceptional at what he does.  His goalscoring record does let him down though, playing in the position he does.

Tipped to be a future England captain:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7349283.stm

Watched the Man U arsenal game and everytime there was a confrontation with the ref he was always there calming things down moving the players awway etc. Leader on the pitch, seems to of calmed down alot, i wouldnt be bothered if he was made captian in the future has the makings of a great one to be honest.

As long as he avoids serious injuries then he's the type of player that will still be absolutely top class well into his 30's, as he has so much to his game that makes him effective.

If one area of his game isn't quite clicking, it really won't be noticeable as he'll be doing so much else to still contribute immensely to the team.

Unthinkable as it may seem with the form he's in right now, you have to fancy there'll be times when Cristiano will hit a period where he's finding goals hard to come by. And when he does then odds are he'll be very frustrating for Man U as his all-round game isn't as well developed as Rooney's.

Also think we can expect a lot more in terms of goals from Rooney in years to come as his game develops more and more, which I firmly believe it will.

Guest shearer_united

Damn Right, Our Wayne is Better Than Yours !!

He Can Teach You (Owen) But He'll Have To Charge (Mike Ashley) ..

Guest diddimz

brilliant player, when he doesnt play well united arent as great, ronaldo may be the best player on the planet at the minute, but alot of that is thanks to wayne doing so much work to give ronaldo the space he needs, without

Still at the moment not in Shearer's class, imo.

And never will be.

Even the world's best forwards at the minute are streets ahead of Rooney.  Eto'o, Torres, Van Nistelrooy etc..

Rooney is very good, but he's definitely not great. 

And never will be.

Even the world's best forwards at the minute are streets ahead of Rooney.  Eto'o, Torres, Van Nistelrooy etc..

See, id disagree with that, look at the stats that Man U have with him in the team, also he has a goal scoring record of nearly 1 in 2 games (throughout his Man U career), thats generally accepted as being a top goal scoring ratio, to be fair to him he's not an out an out goal scoring strikers like the others as well so his build up play and influence on the game isnt highlighted as much as the others.

If i could have any striker in the world at nufc, he'd come very close to the top in my opinion.

Torres would probably be the only striker I'd have ahead of Rooney at the moment. Van Nistelrooy and Etoo might be better goalscorers, but Rooney is younger and offers a whole lot more than either of them in terms of work-rate and team-play.

Guest float one in

And never will be.

See, id disagree with that, look at the stats that Man U have with him in the team, also he has a goal scoring record of nearly 1 in 2 games (throughout his Man U career), thats generally accepted as being a top goal scoring ratio, to be fair to him he's not an out an out goal scoring strikers like the others as well so his build up play and influence on the game isnt highlighted as much as the others.

If i could have any striker in the world at nufc, he'd come very close to the top in my opinion.

Aye, the likes of Torres, Nistelroy and Eto aren't valid comparisons cos they do a different job for the team. They're primarliy finishers and Rooney isn't. Rooney has got a bit of everything - strength, power, good touch and passing and he gets his head up when he's on the ball. Finishing's not what it might be but he still scares defenders when he picks it up 20-30 yards out, as he can make things happen.

Must admit I preferred to watch the swashbuckling, raging bull Rooney of 2004 and before, but would probably agree that he's a better footballer these days.

Torres would probably be the only striker I'd have ahead of Rooney at the moment. Van Nistelrooy and Etoo might be better goalscorers, but Rooney is younger and offers a whole lot more than either of them in terms of work-rate and team-play.

Yeh, Torres has been the outstanding striker in Europe for me, has looked immense for Liverpool.