Newcastle United 2 - 0 Mackems - 20/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 13

James

Harper - 7 - good point blank save from Jones. was almost straight at him but still had to make the save

Beye - 8 - started very well, mackems couldnt cope with his marauding runs, but then quietened down a bit. kept whoever they had playing wide quiet.

Faye - 6 - decent game, dealt with Jones pretty well. not sure if he lost him for the chance. often struggled to make a pass in the 2nd.

Taylor - 7 - likewise, could take a few more risks because he had no-one to mark and when he did he made some crucial interceptions and blocks. did very well when Jones drifted too and was first to loose balls.

Enrique - 8 - excellent as usual. Edwards never in it. went on a few good runs and dribbles upfield. playign it straight to sunderland player in tricky position his only blot.

Geremi - 7 - blew hot and cold, but put in about 4 class deliveries to atone for it, if not for that he'd be on a 5. legs of a 40 year old in evidence and pretty shit in general play tbh.

Butt - 7 - excellent reading of the game and established control of midfield early on. couldve been better in possession.

Barton - 5 - poor game, did a lot of running and helped give them no time on the ball, but did nothing on it, in fact losing the ball more often than not, and made a few rash challenges.

Martins - 7 - gave McShane a torrid time in wide position, couldve had a pen, spearheaded the attack really well in first half, pushed them back, decision making let him down when it came to final ball. created a lovely chance with owen just before being subbed.

Viduka - 6 - Never got in the game too much, did nothing for 45 mins until a great backheel for the Owen pen. suprised he lasted as long as he did.

Owen - 8 - excellent movement and anticipation for the headed goal. continually a threat, mackems couldnt pick him up as he was drifting and dropping everywhere. tricked them into making half a dozen fouls. pen was a bit dodgy but they all count. MOTM.

Great result obviously.

Was disappointed with our passing and distribution in the 2nd half.

Some of the pass selection at times was disasterous.

Good times if we dont get any where near out top performance levels and still win 2-0

We have to keep Michael Owen.We are never gonna replace him with better at the present time.The guy was head and shoulders above any else on the pitch.Also thank allydunce for BEYE the best full back  we've had for twenty years.Onwards on upwards.

We have to keep Michael Owen.We are never gonna replace him with better at the present time.The guy was head and shoulders above any else on the pitch.Also thank allydunce for BEYE the best full back  we've had for twenty years.Onwards on upwards.

Best RB in the league 

Immense

Guest thebigfella

great game yet again gk warm up proved funny as f*ck again not only did paul barron nearly knockout 1 of the stewards but harper punched a ball and it clocked keegan in the shoulder brilliant:)

game was great 1st half we were better team second fizzled out a bit, geremi was terrible again to day he cant pass or take a dead ball to save his life!!!!

i sit in the gallowgate corner and the end of the game was great,steven taylor an habib beye coming over to the fans was awesome two brilliant players who know what it means to the fans just a pity taylor couldnt get his shirt on the end of the corner flag would have been a mint photo!!!!

We were poor they were worse, that's the worst we have played for 4 or 5 games and they still didn't look dangerous!

Extremely happy but didn't think the 433 worked today, gave the ball away so much but Sunderland have a buch of carthorses so got away with it! Hurrah!

Spot on, just as well they didn't have a decent final ball in them.

Not a great performance by us - but it didn't have to be. Great first goal from Owen (quality ball in) although Owen was also a bit fortunate with the pen. Gordon would have saved it on another day.

All in all - Beye, Butt and Owen were great today. Some of Barton's and Geremi's passing was a bit off, but meh - we won!  :coolsmiley: Sunderland were gash despite them pushing on a bit in the 2nd half.

Best bit of the day was being sat in the car on Stamfordham Road (on the way to my old man's to watch on TV) - seeing the coaches go by and given the mackems the finger as the drove past. All of the cars that had had to stop joined in. Top stuff.  ;D  :thup:

We didn't have to play today, the mackems were shite. 

I thought Owen was outstanding and closely followed by Beye who had another great game.  The defence played well when required, Taylor did nothing wrong for a change and Harper had a good game although he had very little to do but he did something Given doesn't do, he came to the edge of his box to take the ball in the air.  Enrique played well but needs to work on his forward play, he's got the important part of his game right but just needs to do a little bit of work over the summer.

Our midfielders were not too bad but not too good when creating.  Butt won plenty of the ball but his distribution was as shite as ever, his passing is a joke.  Barton wasn't too bad, I thought he had quite a good game.  Geremi was probably the worst of our 3 midfielders, I can't remember much going right for him. 

Up front Owen was class and I mean class, Viduka did very little and watching him try to turn is like watching an Aircraft Carrier trying to turn at sea.  Martins had a good game and we missed him for 10 or 15 minutes when he went off as we had nobody to put the mackems under pressure for a while.

The atmosphere was excellent from the home fans, the mackem fans were as bad as the team, they were shite and the wankers throwing coins want shot with shit, especially the mouthy bastard at the front of them.  I hope he was caught on camera as he must have thrown a dozen after the final whistle, they were probably not coins anyway, they were probably metal washers.

http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_3450951,00.html

KK interview

I was saying to the owner, "what a club to buy", because you can't buy it, you can't buy an atmosphere like that.

:lol:

Best bit was that he admitted we were not great and passing was poor at times means he will certainly still be looking to improve

Yeah, fuck, was thinking the same thing. It's a change from having Souey, Roeder and Allardyce in charge who milked any sort of wins to pull the wool over our and their eyes. KK has greater ambitions and has his own style of play that he prefers, and tells it as it is.

Also, what is this obsession with the media and asking KK about Owen any chance they get? Every interview I've read or seen since KK took over has included Owen somehow in the topics. We have other players, you know. Fuckin' hell.

We didn't play very well today, the lack of movement in midfield was exposed a bit for the first time in a while. The best eprformances Michael Owen apart were from the back four, all of whom hardly put a foot wrong all afternoon. Can't argue with a 2-0 derby win against the cunts so fair play to the lads, job done.

Just back, feel much better for that.

Crowd was amazing, we were as good as we needed to be, couldn't hear a peep from the mackems in the Gallowgate and their team were absolute dogshit :)

???

The Mackems were strangely quiet, and none of the players seem fired up for it, much to our advantage.

Edit: I see what you mean now.

Couldn't hear them in the Leazes. When they did pipe up - which was rare - they got sarcastic clapping.

How many times did they blatantly handball in front of the ref and get away with it?

Crowd was amazing, we were as good as we needed to be, couldn't hear a peep from the mackems in the Gallowgate and their team were absolute dogshit :)

???

*from, methinks. ;)

God. I can't believe we've only conceded two goals in six games.

???

The Mackems were strangely quiet, and none of the players seem fired up for it, much to our advantage.

I thought they were fired up for it, unfortunately they are just shit.

now that owen is playing so well I'm starting to fear that he's off in the summer

Mark of a true toon supporter: always be ready for the worst

His fitness is still in question. I can't see the top four coming after him yet, and if they don't, he's got no other club to go really. I'm confident that he'll stay here.