How much do YOU think we will spend?

STM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Besides being a poor financial decision, if we end up spending 40, 50, 60 million or more then I'll seriously wonder what the Wise, Vetere & Jimenez team were brought in to do.  If we are spending anywhere near the amount some people think then it will inevitably mean that we are buying FM style from established talent and not rising stars.

Well, even the mackems managed to spend 45 mil this season (albeit on absolute pish), so I'll be surprised if we don't match them at least. Whats stopping wise et al from doing their jobs even if we did buy a few established players anyway?

We will be looking at spending 30 to 40m imo, whether or not we get the people we want who knows. if people think we will get 4 to 5 top class players and a couple of first team ready youngsters for any less they are having a laugh. thats without counting the plethera of youngsters we will be bringing into different levels of the club.

£10-20m, think some people will be in for disappointment.

I think net it will be this as well. Unfortunately. I think we need to spend about 35 though.

I reckon it will be a very quiet summer for everyone in the league actually.  Even the billionaires that own most Premiership clubs will be more reluctant to spend if the economy keeps slowing.

Besides being a poor financial decision, if we end up spending 40, 50, 60 million or more then I'll seriously wonder what the Wise, Vetere & Jimenez team were brought in to do.  If we are spending anywhere near the amount some people think then it will inevitably mean that we are buying FM style from established talent and not rising stars. 

You're expecting Wise, Vetere and Jimenez to have established a complex, deep and all round top class scouting system in the space of 6 months?

We need a pretty solid outlay and some proven quality to give us the standard of players we need to compete in the top half of the table. Expecting some promising youngsters to come in an solve our problems is asking for trouble.

I'll be disappointed if there isn't a pretty hefty investment in players this summer, I'd expect something in the 30-50m range, anything less than 30 and I'll be seriously questioning the new owners ambitions, quite frankly. Should allow us to bring in 4-6 good players with hopefully 1 or 2 of them being really top ones that can make the difference.

A bit more than 50 seems likely to me. That's not even that much money, considering that even Sunderland spent 45 million pound last season.

50m doesn't go as far as a lot of people seem to think. Two~three class players along with another two or three squad members and the way prices are these days, it's gone.

We barely touched our TV windfall last season, and I know KK is going to be pushing furiously for as much money as he can get. I think this is a big window for us.

Guest teepee

no more than 30 net imo - we'll probably spend a bit more, but then also recoup a bit by selling roz, emre and charlie.

I think we have to spend 50-70M, that covers youngsters, 2 strong players and 2 exceptional players.  We can also claw some money in from sales.

As others have said, this amount will not necessarily push us to where we need to be.  I think Ashley will provide the funds.  More than most Chairman he has been really involved with the fans and I think he knows we need to invest.

That said, I also think he will not be held to ransom on signings unlike Fat Fred.

Bring it on I say, I think it will be an exciting summer.  Keegan will want the players in the bag as soon as possible so he can have them in for a solid pre-season.

Lets hope Euro08 does not get in the way of players coming in.

10-20million. I don't know why, but I just get the impression that they're going to be really tight with their money to spend on players. :(

How much I think they will spend and how much I think they need to spend is different, hopefully they can get great players at good prices. We'll see I guess. :)

Everything Mort has said, in relation to transfer policy/spending, thus far borders on a pretty cautious line.

Approx 20m will be Keegan's outlay imo, and this had better not be the case........ if Mort & Ashley hope to retain a proven club manager.

The question is however will this type of figure/outlay be enough to keep Keegan around for the long haul, if Mort & Ashley provide Keegan with enough evidence over the Summer which paints them out to be a pair of 'Johnny 'Come Latelys' who have come to the table expecting success minus supplying the neccessary outlay in order to achieve that goal ie. backing the manager, especially the manager of their own choosing, something which Keegan is.

Keegan got a read on SJH amidst the PLC stuff/goings-on and he's been let down before, when Hall broke promises made to Keegan during his final season in the manger's hotseat, and he'll quickly sniff a rat if things go astray - ie. hitting too many brick walls in the form the club/Mort's price evaluations of our transfer targets being vastly different to the going rate in the market - over the Summer.

If Mort & Ashley don't live up to Keegan's expectations of them, or his own level of ambition and HTT has used the term 'to finsh off what he started', i'd empathise with Keegan if he decided to walk at a later time in the event of him being disappointed again..

Guest panz1983

20-30m is enough. some good player costs not so much

Santa Cruz of Blackburn Rovers. 350M. goal more than Owen.

Zheng Zhi of Charlton. about 250M. is a good choice.

20-30£ net should be around right, dont see us spending much more... although it all depends on who leaves, if say someone like smith leaves im sure kk would bring in quality instead, and thus upping the anty! :)

Seriously though, I don't give a shit how much we spend if we bring in the players Keegan wants. Obviously it follows that the better the target the more they will cost, but I trust Keegan and if he can do things without going silly on fees then that's all the better for the club.

The other thing to remember is that there's no way Keegan would have come back without specific assurances about suitable financial backing iyam. No way at all.

Ashley and Mort have to live up to these promises and they'll know it.

Find myself agreeing with Dave on this I dont care how much we spend although at times it feels like a competition with other clubs to see who can spend the most, spending wisely is more important no point slapping bids in here there and everywhere if we have to spend 80m to get what keegan wants then fine if we spend 30 to get what he wants then fine all that matters is the team improves because of the changes.

What a bizarre thing to say..  The staff you mention are here to build for the future, but we also need to spend big in the summer to build a team now.  You're talking as if you can only do one or the other...  As if buying now makes building a structure for the future pointless, when in fact you have to do both to be successful.

we all seem to agree that although the squad is playing well we need to add to the squad spending may come down to what positions we need to fill in the managers opinion and if we are going to do our buying before or after the euro's as some players we may like but wait on could have one hell of a tornament.

Loads of different factors make it difficult to tell how much we are going to spend. If we spend big and they dont work out we will all be saying we should have bought wisely after all there are only so many gems out there and every team cant get them. As usual the big teams will need only add one or two true quality players to their ranks to keep the positions in the league relatively safe.

With our team we still need to push on to challange for europe so unfortunately you can see us having to spend big to not only keep up with teams more settled than us that will be throwing cash around but to make a "more comfortable gap" between ourselves and some of the teams we are in front of but not by much.

Seriously though, I don't give a s*** how much we spend if we bring in the players Keegan wants. Obviously it follows that the better the target the more they will cost, but I trust Keegan and if he can do things without going silly on fees then that's all the better for the club.

The other thing to remember is that there's no way Keegan would have come back without specific assurances about suitable financial backing iyam. No way at all.

Ashley and Mort have to live up to these promises and they'll know it.

This is the main point - I agree.

Guest float one in

A few weeks ago I said 30-40 million on 4 players. For me, that sort of investment should put to bed any doubts anyone might have about Ashley's willingness to back KK (I haven't got any doubts btw), and I have confidence that KK will significantly improve our first team with that sort of outlay.

Listening to Kev after the match yesterday I started to get very excited at the prospect of what might happen in the summer - he's got the current players playing very well, he's excited at what could happen here in the next few years and I'm sure he's thinking BIG! And one things for sure, he'll be pushing Ashley and Mort to match his expectations.