How much do YOU think we will spend?

STM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dave is surely right. i don't see how statements like 'we need to spend 40m to keep up' hold water, tbh (that's a randomly pieced together sentence, not one someone uttered, but you get my point).

Surely what should happen is:

1. Manager plus scouts identify the players they need and believe they can get.

2. Manager tells owner he wants them and thinks he can get them.

3. Owner backs the manager's judgement with the money.

Anything other than the above, and the manager isn't being allowed to do his job properly.

A good manager will spot the players who will do a job for him without sapping the resources of the owner to any massive degree. If he doesn't, then any owner - regardless of how minted they are - is going to get very pissed off with writing what he sees as unecessarily enormous cheques.

Makes me chuckle people pointing out Sunderland. Look at how much they spent last season and look what utter fucking dross most of them turned out to be. That makes my other point - if you're not in the top four, it is actually difficiult to spent big money well these days.

The players who are worth it know it, and want to play in the CL. You end up doing what Sunderland did and spaffing money left right and centre in a desperate attempt to get some "cred'.

These days when everyone has money, it is about identifying the right players, not just throwing money at a problem.

Guest NUFC4

i'm banking on about 45 millionnnnns for keegan to bring in 4-5 established players and 2-3 youngsters.  either way i'm seeing stars and can't wait to kick off in august!

In my book will at least spend 20m. Even Sam got to spend that and they didn't back him. As well as this we didn't spend any in january so that's a few extra quid into the kitty.

I went for £60m-£100m even before the Modric talk. Ashleys' talked big and Keegan won't be shy of spending it given half a chance.

Will the top players want to come though?

I see us spending about £35m (net £30m) purely because some of the top players will not want to come (yet). If we have a good next season (top 8 say) then I can see another £35m being spent next summer and us probably pushing on for a champions league place. Best case scenario anyway.

I went for £60m-£100m even before the Modric talk. Ashleys' talked big and Keegan won't be shy of spending it given half a chance.

Will the top players want to come though?

I see us spending about £35m (net £30m) purely because some of the top players will not want to come (yet). If we have a good next season (top 8 say) then I can see another £35m being spent next summer and us probably pushing on for a champions league place. Best case scenario anyway.

I just have a lot of faith in Keegan's ability to sell the club, even though we aren't in Europe. If we can get in one signing like Modric it will put down a marker. I have a feeling that players will be excited at the prospect of joining a club set to take off again. Not all will, but some might.

Guest shearer_united

I have a feeling we wont be spending much during the summer transfer window. I hope i will be very wrong!

Guest Stephen927

I don't think we'll spend more than £40m. Though that could depend on who we are able to get through the door and sign on the dotted line.