Silly Season and the Rumour Mill

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie

April is drawing to a close and already the media snipers are out sh*t stirring and dreaming up ways to sell newspapers (not that that hasn't always been the case). This time of year more than ever the media frenzy about who will be playing for who next year gets into full swing and some of the absolute sh*te that is written is astounding. If we believed the hacks, this week alone we would be close to agreeing deals with Lka Modric and considering Thierry Henry? Shall we wake up?

I would love this to be the case, but unfortunately we are Newcastle not Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Ac Milan etc. Yes Keegan is back, yes his dreams are unlimited but unless we wish to be extremely dissappointed I suggest we all keep our feet planted firmly on the ground. Just using April's rumours of signings for us alone (from nufc.com) this would be a starting team for next season:

---------------------------------------------------A.Boruc--------------------------------------------------

H.Beye---------------C.Metzelder------------------------C.Ceullar---------------------J.A.Riise

------------------------------------------------M.Veloso-------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Deco------------------------------------L.Modric---------------------------------

L.Fabiano----------------------------------P.Crouch---------------------------------------T.Henry

Not that I would be complaining with that team (note: Habib Beye is included as amazingly we haven't been linked with a new right back).

April is drawing to a close and already the media snipers are out sh*t stirring and dreaming up ways to sell newspapers (not that that hasn't always been the case). This time of year more than ever the media frenzy about who will be playing for who next year gets into full swing and some of the absolute sh*te that is written is astounding. If we believed the hacks, this week alone we would be close to agreeing deals with Lka Modric and considering Thierry Henry? Shall we wake up?

I would love this to be the case, but unfortunately we are Newcastle not Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Ac Milan etc. Yes Keegan is back, yes his dreams are unlimited but unless we wish to be extremely dissappointed I suggest we all keep our feet planted firmly on the ground. Just using April's rumours of signings for us alone (from nufc.com) this would be a starting team for next season:

---------------------------------------------------A.Boruc--------------------------------------------------

H.Beye---------------C.Metzelder------------------------C.Ceullar---------------------J.A.Riise

------------------------------------------------M.Veloso-------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Deco------------------------------------L.Modric---------------------------------

L.Fabiano----------------------------------P.Crouch---------------------------------------T.Henry

Not that I would be complaining with that team (note: Habib Beye is included as amazingly we haven't been linked with a new right back).

I wonder if the "he'll never come here brigade" with their automatic certainty of our inferiority, will ever change?

As my Dad used to say - "like the poor, they are always with us".

As change happens here (from the immediate past) under Mike Ashley and Kevin Keegan - will their perceptions and comments (clothed in a blanket of "realism" . . . ) ever change.

I doubt it!

It is going to be hard work  -  but you need 'vision' to succeed in life (and football is life) but this club is the PERFECT club (with all the ingredients) to be a big, big, success.

Small thinking (even if stating 'current' obvious fact) such as 'we are Newcastle United not Real Madrid' is a useless, pointless way of thinking and acting.

Realism - yes, but let's MOVE ON from the strange 'immediate past' that we have had. Lets get moving in our minds (I'm sure Ashley is). The objective has to be - as soon as possible - to be alongside the biggest clubs, as equals - AND YOU DON'T GET THAT BY CONSTANTLY THINKING "HE'LL NEVER COME HERE"  . . ..

I cant believe how much trash has already started coming out either, its going to be a long hard summer.

Hopefully a bit like Jet lag, the usual mong like devotion to checking the bbc rumours section daily, refreshing news-now insessantly and copious postings of new threads for every strenous link of a player to the club should'nt kick in until mid May.

That said, there might be a new artical online about KK or Denis Wise's new target, void of any quotes or facts online so I best go find it and get it posted before anyone else does.

Guest nufc_geordie

I wonder if the "he'll never come here brigade" with their automatic certainty of our inferiority, will ever change?

As change happens here (from the immediate past) under Mike Ashley and Kevin Keegan - will their perceptions and comments (clothed in a blanket of "realism" . . . ) ever change.

I doubt it!

It is going to be hard work  -  but you need 'vision' to succeed in life (and football is life) but this club is the PERFECT club (with all the ingredients) to be a big, big, success.

Small thinking (even if stating 'current' obvious fact) such as 'we are Newcastle United not Real Madrid' is a useless, pointless way of thinking and acting.

Realism - yes, but let's MOVE ON from the strange 'immediate past' that we have had. Lets get moving in our minds (I'm sure Ashley is). The objective has to be - as soon as possible - to be alongside the biggest clubs, as equals - AND YOU DON'T GET THAT BY CONSTANTLY THINKING "HE'LL NEVER COME HERE"  . . ..

If  we have constantly progressed over the next three-five years then I would say that it would be possible to bring in some of these names. The main point here being we are so far behind the bigger clubs now that we have to build ala Villa, Everton before we can consider signing bigger players. In the real world that we live in why would such players sign for Newcastle? They want to be successful and win trophies, they have more opportunities to do that elsewhere AT THE MOMENT.

Personally I thinkyou are dellusional to expect players of that calibre to sign for Newcastle. Some might point out that Michael Owen signed, well I will argue that he panicked, realised by not playing he would lose his England place, and couldn't get a better offer.

If, and it's a big if, we develop and improve over the next few seasons to come, I can maybe then accept that we would expect to be signing players of world class quality. At the moment I prefer to live in the "real" world and I for one certainly won't be getting my hopes up. I expect players of the Crouch, Ashton mould and quality to be signing, not Henry and Modric.

I stand to be proven wrong, and will gladly put my hands up if I am pleasently suprised, but I doubt I will be!

I doubt it!

If  we have constantly progressed over the next three-five years then I would say that it would be possible to bring in some of these names. The main point here being we are so far behind the bigger clubs now that we have to build ala Villa, Everton before we can consider signing bigger players. In the real world that we live in why would such players sign for Newcastle? They want to be successful and win trophies, they have more opportunities to do that elsewhere AT THE MOMENT.

Personally I thinkyou are dellusional to expect players of that calibre to sign for Newcastle. Some might point out that Michael Owen signed, well I will argue that he panicked, realised by not playing he would lose his England place, and couldn't get a better offer.

If, and it's a big if, we develop and improve over the next few seasons to come, I can maybe then accept that we would expect to be signing players of world class quality. At the moment I prefer to live in the "real" world and I for one certainly won't be getting my hopes up. I expect players of the Crouch, Ashton mould and quality to be signing, not Henry and Modric.

I stand to be proven wrong, and will gladly put my hands up if I am pleasently suprised, but I doubt I will be!

I agree with much of what you say.

I do have a strong dislike for the "he won't come here" brigade, which you are not one of.

But, it is an 'attitudinal" thing (not sure if I can even spell it!!) that often 'stinks' for me, from some people.  It is implicit in everything they say and do that we are INFERIOR (for whatever reason) and they could not be more wrong!

As I say, there is much work to do, but it IS going to get done. The new 'Sunday Times Rich List' confirms Ashley's approach to life.  We already know Keegans. LETS (JUST) JOIN IN !!!!!! (AND ENJOY . . . )

I cant believe how much trash has already started coming out either,0 its going to be a long hard summer.

Hopefully a bit like Jet lag, the usual mong like devotion to checking the bbc rumours section daily, refreshing news-now insessantly and copious postings of new threads for every strenous link of a player to the club should'nt kick in until mid May.

That said, there might be a new artical online about KK or Denis Wise's new target, void of any quotes or facts online so I best go find it and get it posted before anyone else does.

What's hard about it?

I cant believe how much trash has already started coming out either,0 its going to be a long hard summer.

What's hard about it?

His penis.

I doubt it!

Completely disagree with you. Newcastle, whether you believe it or not, ARE a big name club and how we have done over a couple of seasons won't change this. Look at La Liga right now, if you were a decent young footballer from an obscure country in europe and you had to choose between Racing santander and Valencia, who would you choose?

Correct, we would all choose Valencia. Yet if you looked at the spainsh league table you would see that Valencia are in 16th where as Racing are in 5th. What does this mean... reputation counts for something.

When we signed Owen we had just finished 14th iirc. Just because we are "off the pace", doesn't mean we are less likley to sign the top players. With that said for obvious reasons we will find it difficult to compete with the top four, because of the champions league. However against every other team in the league we are still an top player attraction.

We're going to be linked with every man and his dog, just like last year, the year before that, etc.

To be honest, I've come to expect it from the media now. At least this time round, the vast majority of players we are being linked with are quality, which is at least one promising thing and leaves me optimistic.

Guest skindogg1234

surely the fact modric and his advisors visited the training ground in Newcastle gives us a little bit of hope, and lets be honest, when we signed Owen, we had Souness in charge and no1 can deny keegan is a more attractive proposition then souness!!

The fact we have owen here shows we are still a big club and if we can tie hom to a new contract i think others might folow!

How much would that team cost????

^ 80 million i think

thought it would be more tbh

if freddie spendy stone was still our chairman.... he wud snap your hand off for 80million

He'd have spent the lot on Riise and Crouch.

Riise??  Why the f*** would we want Riise?  ???

To constantly test our keepers mental alertness with glancing headers towards our goal?

wasnt he arrested on the motorway the other day, for heading the wrong way?