Milner next season

Guest float one in

Guest float one in

Somebody mentioned elsewhere that Milner has been linked to Villa again. While this smacks of lazy journalists digging out an old 'story', with most people agreeing that Geremi is one of the first teamers we'd most like to replace, and it also looking likely that KK might stick with the 433 and Owen behind a front two, will Milner get a look in? Could he play instead of Geremi?

I've not seen anything in his range or quality of passing to suggest he'd be a good option as one of the 2 attacking midfielders (assuming we have Butt-or his replacement-as an anchorman), but his  phenomenal work rate and great attitude would certainly be assets in a 3 man midfield. Does anyone think there might be a good enough footballer in there to play in the middle, in a hardworking, attacking role? Movement off the ball would be streets ahead of what we currently have, as would tracking back, but has he got the quality on the ball to make killer passes? He's always seemed a bit of a heed doon merchant to me - is there more to him than that? If I'm honest I'd rather see us get in a real classy passer to fit straight into the first team and move our attacking on a level, but it would be nice to think KK might find the role in which Milner can excel for us. I must admit that when KK came back one of my first thoughts was that I hoped he might see a bit of Rob Lee in Milner and move him inside in the same way.

I've always thought that most of his best play has come from a central area BUT normally when he's been played out wide.

Personally, i think he's too lightweight for central midfield role. Even if he isn't, i doubt he has enough quality (and we should be aiming high) to get into our starting 11 next season.

On the other hand, it makes absolutley no sense in selling Milner, unless we have someone like Barnes lined up. We can't be letting go young, highley rated, versitile, squad players, it's just not good sense (unless of course they want to leave).

If Villa come in with 6+ and we can line up Barnes or that anderlect lad, then i'd let him leave. Otherwise we can't afford it.

Guest float one in

Would a Barton, Butt, Milner midfield be lacking in quality on the ball? For me I couldn;t see many midfields dominating us, but we might end up quite one-dimensional and one-paced in attack. An all English midfield would be a refreshing change in the Premier League though!

But with Owen dropping deep and a real top class target man signed for big money to replace Viduka, along side the pace and unpredictability of Martins, do we really need much more in the way of attacking threat from midfield than Milner and Barton could provide?

I hope we do come back in for Milner.

We're desperate for some right side MF strength, and given past events with him, I'm not surprised journo's are putting 2 and 2 together.

Still probably groundless, though.

Reckon if he has any future it would be in the middle as a box-to-box type player, especially as he's got a cracking engine on him.

Agree, he'd have to bulk up a bit though. No reason why he couldn't play in a midfield 3 though. Hasn't got the pace of a natural modernday wideman unfortunately.

Reckon if he has any future it would be in the middle as a box-to-box type player, especially as he's got a cracking engine on him.

Agree, he'd have to bulk up a bit though. No reason why he couldn't play in a midfield 3 though. Hasn't got the pace of a natural modernday wideman unfortunately.

Aye. As players like Nobby and Beckham have proved you don't need to be pacey to play out wide as long as your delivery is good enough, sadly though Milner's isn't.

I hope we do come back in for Milner.

We're desperate for some right side MF strength, and given past events with him, I'm not surprised journo's are putting 2 and 2 together.

Still probably groundless, though.

I'd put money on O'Neill being in for Milner. Yous have made attempts (and come very close) to taking him over the last 3 seasons iirc. There isn't a doubt in my mind that you will enquire and Milner is bound to be intrested.

Only thing is, i can see KK keeping a hold of Milner. He's a real Keegan typed lad.

I like Milner for his energy and don't mind his lack of pace but his crossing isn't quality enough to be first team for a top 5 or 6 squad.  I also agree that he is a little to wispy to consistently man the middle.  However, I think he'd be valuable as squad guy who can come in on either wing or the middle (for short periods) and give the team a differnet look or change of tempo.  He's limited but he's easy to root for, IMO.

Guest Jawesome

Depends how well he does in pre-season and whether he ups his game or not.  Keegan picks the team, not us.  Let him decide before we start booing the lad.

I can actually see him leaving tbh. And as much as I've enjoyed the 4-3-3 formation I'd still like to see us play 4-4-2 with wingers, and I'd like to us get Pennant!!!

Disagree with both.

I don't want us to change back to 442 because i think we have finally found a system that suits the fans and the team. I also don't rate Pennant all that highley, he's good don't get me wrong but not the step up i'd be looking for.

Guest Jawesome

I can actually see him leaving tbh. And as much as I've enjoyed the 4-3-3 formation I'd still like to see us play 4-4-2 with wingers, and I'd like to us get Pennant!!!

Disagree with both.

I don't want us to change back to 442 because i think we have finally found a system that suits the fans

Let me just stop you there...

What the fuck?

Aye. As players like Nobby and Beckham have proved you don't need to be pacey to play out wide as long as your delivery is good enough, sadly though Milner's isn't.

Very true, it could possibly be something that be coached into him, that and learning when to cross and not run but it would take very intensive coaching over a long long time.

Disagree with both.

I don't want us to change back to 442 because i think we have finally found a system that suits the fans

What the fuck?

The fact that you stopped me there was why you didn't understand.

I said fans AND the team. i.e i don't believe our players suit 442 (mainly because it hasn't worked this season), yet i don't think the fans particularly like 451/433.

This system looks like a good middle ground that suits both, yer?

Disagree with both.

What the fuck?

I said fans AND the team. i.e i don't believe our players suit 442 (mainly because it hasn't worked this season), yet i don't think the fans particularly like 451/433.

Your right and unless we plan to ditch one of the front three then it should stay as it is.

Guest float one in

It's brilliant how much Match of the Day affects people.

I don't understand what you're getting at Dave - are you saying you get a better opinion of Milner if you only watch the highlights?

I've always thought Milner would be more suited to a central role. There's less emphasis on pace in the centre which suits Milner, and he has the added advantage of being able to pass and shoot with both feet.

As a winger he's simply not good enough.

Guest Jawesome

Disagree with both.

What the f***?

But it shouldn't matter whether the system suits the fans.  The manager is the man who picks the team and the players in their positions, not the fans.  How often do you see fans getting sacked from their respective clubs?  Obviously fans do matter to clubs massively, but to pick a system based on whether they agree with it or not is just plain stupid.

Disagree with both.

What the f***?

But it shouldn't matter whether the system suits the fans.  The manager is the man who picks the team and the players in their positions, not the fans.  How often do you see fans getting sacked from their respective clubs?  Obviously fans do matter to clubs massively, but to pick a system based on whether they agree with it or not is just plain stupid.

KK seems to think what the fans think and like here is of utmost importance, he's said so several thousand times since joining.

The fans are the ones who will keep him in a job, just like any manager, but no more truer than here.

Was thinking the same thing. :thup:

I know i've been slating people on here for saying 'player X definitely cannot improve', as you can never judge that... but i find it hard to see how Milner is going to improve on his pace. He just isn't fast enough, from what we've seen so far, to make it as a top 6 quality winger.

I think his delivery is good most of the time and he has a very good eye for goal too (more goals in less appearances than one Keith Gillespie, you'll find), great engine and an excellent team player, but he isn't a brilliant winger.

If we're going to keep him here, then we need to try and find a better role for him. Maybe he would work in Martins' role? Who knows? I think he could give centre-midfield a good stab aswell.

That said, if we get a good offer in for him, i'd let him be someone else's problem. Because, if we're going to be the team that helps him reach his full potential, that's what he is - a problem. We're not in a great period to be doing stuff like that. But as i said in another thread, if we're going to sell him, it's got to be for good money. He is a good player.