Limit on Foreign Players

Guest ObaStar

Guest ObaStar

SEPP BLATTER wants Premier League clubs to play SIX homegrown players in their starting XI.

The FIFA president believes fans in Europe's top leagues have lost touch with their national teams because of the influence of foreign stars on the game.

And Blatter hopes to bring in new rules to force teams to have only five players from abroad in their sides.

He said: "Club football at the beginning had a local and regional identity.

"But now with the big clubs of the Premier League there is no more national identity.

"I think if you ask the fans they will want to see the national team players playing in the top clubs of the league in the country concerned.

"I am sure everybody is in favour of a strong national team and therefore we should impose a solution.

Do you agree with Blatter? Vote here:

"That is why I am going to the congress to propose a six-plus-five rule to be implemented after 2011.

"The starting XI shall have six players eligible to play for the national team of the country that the club is playing in."

Blatter believes the monopoly of England's top four clubs is not helping the game in England.

He added: "You have all four participants in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and I think this is not the direct solution.

"Please ask the fans if they like the national team and they are happy their national team have not qualified for this year's European Championships.

"This is a problem that is worth being discussed and if there is a general consensus, then we will implement that for the good of the game.

"Because the game is open to everybody, not only something for the rich clubs and therefore I am sure the idea will balance out a competition."

This is stupid. This will only drive up the price of english players more and if you think about it. All the England players start for top clubs. Its not like having shit english players start for clubs will make them better. If nugent had to play for Portsmouth over Utaka say its not gonna make him any better. The players who are good enough to play for England are good enough to play for their clubs.

Agree with the sentiment and it arguaby should have been enforced long before now. Would be impossible (well, not impossible, just impractical) to enforce it now imo.

And if we don't improve grassroots, then it's pointless anyway. That's where the problem is. If it was better at the early stage, you could argue there wouldn't be this many foreigners anyway.

The FIFA president believes fans in Europe's top leagues have lost touch with their national teams because of the influence of foreign stars on the game.

Then why does he think the fans would be interested in this? No thanks i say, i've lost touch with the national team because the players are cocks, nothing to do with foreigners.

I'm not really bothered about the good of the national team but I would prefer a limit on foreigners. I think it's important to have a strong English core to a team and whenever possible local lads playing for their own club. He's definitely right about the regional aspect being lost.

Stupid idea.  It'll mean inflated transfer fees for English players, even if they're shit, as there'll be a requirement to have more of them in a squad to compliment the rule.  Then, for those clubs that can't afford these fee's, and have, say only 11 English players in their squad (6 of which have to be on the pitch) they'll be forced into throwing in academy players as backup, who obviously will have no/little experience.

The PL would also lose the unofficial title of the best league in the world, as foreign players would be fed up of having to compete for 5 places within a starting XI (see Arsenal).

Wouldn't get past the players associations. The foreigners who aren't top players and who would have to leave the league would lose an absolute fortune if this happened as no country pays anywhere near as good as we do.

Guest BudBud

Blatter is a cock who hates the English game and has a vendetta against the PL. This is not the only idea he has to ruin the PL as it is atm

Wouldn't get past the players associations. The foreigners who aren't top players and who would have to leave the league would lose an absolute fortune if this happened as no country pays anywhere near as good as we do.

So? I'm not really seeing your point there on the foreign players mate.

Average foreigners replaced by average English players or youngsters? No big loss. And I'm certainly not going to feel sorry for them earning £40k a week instead of £60k.

good idea imho.

Why? Club and international football are two completely different kettles of fish. Look at how sh*t Man Utd did in the Champions League when they had a similar ruling back then. They had to play players like Gary Walsh or Kevin Pilkington ahead of Schmeichel, Terry Cooke rather than Keane. F*cking stupid idea tbh.

I hate Blatter, he couldn't care less about our football, he' trying to limit foreigners because we're attracting foreign TV viewers who attract foreign money into our league, Blatter is a grade A tosser.

good idea imho.

Why? Club and international football are two completely different kettles of fish. Look at how sh*t Man Utd did in the Champions League when they had a similar ruling back then. They had to play players like Gary Walsh or Kevin Pilkington ahead of Schmeichel, Terry Cooke rather than Keane. F*cking stupid idea tbh.

yeah but there does seem something in the idea that the countries producing the best players winning things at club level.

Id be more interested in seeing more home national managers to be honest, that would be more of a far reaching initative which may yield some results, well in my opinion anyway.

I dont understand why Fifa and UEFA have such a vendetta against the PL.

Would i be being arrogant if i said that the big 4 is only so because Newcastle fell back massively after SBR? That to me seems to be the point where the big 4 got the monolpoly on the prem.

good idea imho.

yeah but there does seem something in the idea that the countries producing the best players winning things at club level.

Is that what international football's for though, Madras?