Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Olympique Marseille are supposedly very close to signing Lucho Gonzalez from Porto ( :celb:) and Soulemayne Diawara ( :no:) from Bordeaux. We were linked with Gabriel Heinze and Ebondo as well as Mbia (That brings back painful memories).

Like the look of the the team for next year. Think we can really win the title. Just hope none of the top players are sold to the "superclubs".

I really don't think you're close to signing Lucho mate. You've offered 18m when you consider they paid 12, I think they'll be looking for 25m, on top of the fact they like to sell to the biggest clubs around.

At this point we're the only club to have made an offer, and it is an acceptable one. Apparently the man wants to come as well. Obviously if Real Madrid just come out start throwing ridiculous figures around, we won't sign him. However, all the reports I've heard have made me optimistic.

Guest Heneage

Olympique Marseille are supposedly very close to signing Lucho Gonzalez from Porto ( :celb:) and Soulemayne Diawara ( :no:) from Bordeaux. We were linked with Gabriel Heinze and Ebondo as well as Mbia (That brings back painful memories).

Like the look of the the team for next year. Think we can really win the title. Just hope none of the top players are sold to the "superclubs".

I really don't think you're close to signing Lucho mate. You've offered 18m when you consider they paid 12, I think they'll be looking for 25m, on top of the fact they like to sell to the biggest clubs around.

At this point we're the only club to have made an offer, and it is an acceptable one. Apparently the man wants to come as well. Obviously if Real Madrid just come out start throwing ridiculous figures around, we won't sign him. However, all the reports I've heard have made me optimistic.

Hmm It's not acceptable to Porto, for them a £6m profit on a player like Lucho is not really worth it for Porto, as they may also be selling Lisandro to Inter and Bruno Alves, that would be their spine gone. They got at least £20m for Quaresma plus a player who was on the same level as Lucho in terms of importance to Porto , £16m for Bosingwa who was not really that much of a major player for them. Porto are very good negotiators, it's rare you get a bargain price for a player, especially someone like Gonzalez.    

Plus if they sell to team of the stature of Marseille, it will give the idea to those like Meireles that they can just leave, it would cause ructions and could start a mini exodus from Porto, for players like Rolando, Fernando, Hulk. Porto want to be seen as only selling to the best possible.

Guest Heneage

and theyre still trying to resurrect a deal for cissokho

You can see why though. They paid a minimal fee, even more so by today's looney standards, and after less than a year in their side, he is going from an average Vitoria side to being the Champions League best XI, the time to cash in was now, if they just put a brace on his teeth he should be fine, and will complete his move. Of the 3 Portuguese big teams, Porto are the smartest by far.

Nixon is correct about Porto, excellent negotiators. However I do think they will at least consider a bid of the size for Lucho. He's a player approaching the peak of his career. If they want to move him on it will have to be in the next couple of years. The amazing thing about the club is they are confidence in their scouting system. If they move a player on they know they will soon fine a young lad who will grow to fill his boots for next to nothing.

Porto are a selling club, they find players for peanuts and move them on for massive prices. They've done well to hold on to the likes of Alves, Lucho, Meireles and Lopez for as long as they have. The problem is for them they can't stop players moving to the brighter lights of the major European leagues, if Lucho wants to go sooner or later he will go, but it will be on their terms.

Marseille need to show ambition this season with Lyon is a transition, if they play their cards right they can attract the likes of Lucho. For me the biggest problem for them isn't whether Porto want to flog, or whether the player wants to leave Porto, but attracting him to the division. The quality of the French league is only a step or two above the league he's currently in. I think he'll be looking for a move to the likes of England, Spain, Italy or maybe even Germany before he considers France.

Guest Heneage

Nixon is correct about Porto, excellent negotiators. However I do think they will at least consider a bid of the size for Lucho. He's a player approaching the peak of his career. If they want to move him on it will have to be in the next couple of years. The amazing thing about the club is they are confidence in their scouting system. If they move a player on they know they will soon fine a young lad who will grow to fill his boots for next to nothing.

Porto are a selling club, they find players for peanuts and move them on for massive prices. They've done well to hold on to the likes of Alves, Lucho, Meireles and Lopez for as long as they have. The problem is for them they can't stop players moving to the brighter lights of the major European leagues, if Lucho wants to go sooner or later he will go, but it will be on their terms.

Marseille need to show ambition this season with Lyon is a transition, if they play their cards right they can attract the likes of Lucho. For me the biggest problem for them isn't whether Porto want to flog, or whether the player wants to leave Porto, but attracting him to the division. The quality of the French league is only a step or two above the league he's currently in. I think he'll be looking for a move to the likes of England, Spain, Italy or maybe even Germany before he considers France.

Lucho is at the peak now he's 27/28 this is where he will be his prime. It's true what you say about peanut purchases what you forget though is that Lucho was not one of these, he cost them £12m this is a big fee for a team in Portugal, and I can guarantee that River will have a sell on clause of sorts, be it 5% or as much as 25%. So when you subtract that from the £18m it's an even smaller profit margain, 5m is nothing massive to them, they could build a tidy squad with the potential 15m from Cissokho, as Jesualdo is great at buying good cheap players and getting them to work well.

Alves is a different story, in my opinion he went very unnoticed until 2006 and even then he was over shadowed by the emergence and brilliance of Pepe in Porto's back line, when you consider Pepe went for €30m to Madird, you can see that Porto by no means need to accept this bid for Lucho, they have other salable assets that could go, and that money could be used for a pay rise for Lucho or in buying replacements who are just as good if not potentially better, Fernando to me has the potential to take Lucho's crown in Porto and become the new midfield general, he was nothing short of Brilliant against Man Utd at Old trafford, and this is all before we actually discuss if Lucho would even consider France, this move will be his last big move really, and France isn't really in the top 3 leagues in Europe. If I was looking for a player to nab from Porto I'd go for Cristian Rodriquez, a tricky winger that has looked really good since leaving PSG.

I'd be amazed if they sell to Marseille for that price honestly, I'd expect a late bid from Inter or even Madrid/Chelsea as for £18m you won't get many better than Lucho Gonzalez.

Guest Heneage

I would rather for Inter to pay £40m for Lucho, then the blood money they paid for Quaresma, those Porto negotiators are the only people in the world by their words who could solve the problems between Israel and Palestine, they are just that good.

It's epic, Quaresma will work give him time on the pitch.

Guest Heneage

Barca say they've received a 'stratospheric' offer from Man City for Eto'o.

They're appearing increasingly pathetic IMO. Absolutely desperate.

Hypothetically; Newcastle are taken over by a Billionaire of similar wealth, who would you want us to sign?

They need to get rid of Hughes iyam.

Guest wshmag

Hypothetically; Newcastle are taken over by a Billionaire of similar wealth, who would you want us to sign?

no puffs.

No doubt they will if they're not in the top four in October.

Its fucking hilarious that they had the perfect manager for "blank chequebook" before the takeover and megabucks (Eriksson), and now it's happened they fired him and appointed the perfect manager for the old scenario when they didn't have as much money (Hughes).

They won't finish top 6 with Hughes there, no matter who they sign.

I totally agree.

I believe all football clubs should be self sustaining (yes they can have debts but they must be able to service the debt themselves), with wages like they are offering then there is no way they could survive without the current owner.

But that's impossible for City to achieve if they want to bring in the best players in the world. They maybe able to sell their vision to the Bellamys, Givens and Barrys of this world and get away with paying them a poorer wage (like.. 80k!), but when you wanna sign Eto'o, Kaka & Robinho, you have to just lump them with 250k a week and slowly build around a few players like that.

P.s. this is far from great, but thats just how it is man pet.