Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Guest Heneage

That's a decent price for him.

Not really, when you think of the revenue LA Galaxy will lose from him.

Minus his wages? He's said he doesn't want to stay it seems pointless to keep him. The Beckham hype in the USA can't get bigger than it already has.

Quaresma will dow ell in the prem as it's a far more open game with space to exploit.

He is exactly the kind of player that wouldn't do well in Italy. It's too tight and tactical for him. He doesn't quite have the discipline, patience and nous required.

This.

Quaresma has 2 big flaws in his game imo, 1. He's not disciplined/particularly intelligent and 2. He's too much of a homeboy. He never settles anywhere, it is obvious that moving to Barca at a young age was not suitable for him at the time he didn't have the mental ability to hack it then. I think he does now but Italy isn't the right league. Out of the 3 big leagues it's the one that suits him the least, I think if he went back to Spain right now he'd do well there and i think he'll do well here, as long as he settles right. IMO because of his homesickness it would always have taken him a season to settle, and it sounds like Inter (fans, Mourinho and everyone else) have been bastards to him, which obviously hasn't helped his confidence.

He's a very talented footballer and tbh Portugal is still a pretty decent league and i've seen much worse players come out of there and do well in the big 3.

The other thing with Quaresma was whenever i saw him play in CL against some top teams like Chelsea he always shone, showed real ability and made lots of teams nervous. Something obviously isn't fundamentally right with him when he makes a move, perhaps it is because he likes to be the big fish but it's puzzling that a player with so much ability has failed so miserably.

So with the window firmly closed now - how do you think each club has faired ?

To me the winners of this window ought to be

Newcastle United - Peter L seems a good buy. Nolan a good buy. Taylor on a cheap and provide what our manager likes (crosses). Sold an unhappy player N'Zogbia for decent money, sold Given for Okayish money but does not need cover.

Everton - Jo on a loan !

Arsenal - Finally got the man they wanted for a while.

West Brom - Juan Carlos Menseguez, Jay Simpson, Youssuf Mulumbu, Marc-Antoine Fortuné on loan. Good business.

Losers

Tottenham Hotspurs - Had to buy back Chimbonda, Defoe and Keane. Palacios is an excellent player, but he is not cheap. Lost out on many other players manager wanted (Downing, Bellamy, Jones)

Chelsea - No significant reinforcement despite the arrival of Quaresma.

Liverpool - Sold Robbie Keane without replacement. If Torres is injured then bye bye.

Winners:

Man City - didnt buy Kaka, but still bought good players, even if it is for ridiculous prices (except given  :weep:)

Aston Villa - bought exactly what they needed

Everton - bought exactly what they needed

Stoke - no major sales and a couple of handy sales in Etherington and Beattie

Losers:

Portsmouth - lost key players and replaced them with dross

Newcastle - needed at least 1 more player

Liverpool - Rafa's an idiot

Wigan - Losing Heskey, Palacios and Taylor is a big blow, even though Rodallega and Mido might turn out ok. Insomnia is an enigma. Watson isn't good enough

Boro - came off worse in the Mido-King swap and thats all they ended up doing.

So with the window firmly closed now - how do you think each club has faired ?

To me the winners of this window ought to be

Newcastle United - Peter L seems a good buy. Nolan a good buy. Taylor on a cheap and provide what our manager likes (crosses). Sold an unhappy player N'Zogbia for decent money, sold Given for Okayish money but does not need cover.

Everton - Jo on a loan !

Arsenal - Finally got the man they wanted for a while.

West Brom - Juan Carlos Menseguez, Jay Simpson, Youssuf Mulumbu, Marc-Antoine Fortuné on loan. Good business.

Losers

Tottenham Hotspurs - Had to buy back Chimbonda, Defoe and Keane. Palacios is an excellent player, but he is not cheap. Lost out on many other players manager wanted (Downing, Bellamy, Jones)

Chelsea - No significant reinforcement despite the arrival of Quaresma.

Liverpool - Sold Robbie Keane without replacement. If Torres is injured then bye bye.

Peculiar logic. We've seen first hand that they're never in a million years going to stay up, and none of those players are permanent,.. so they're going to have some serious work to do in the summer if they want to maintain a decent Championship record.

Guest daveaha

Palacios targets top ten finish

February 10, 2009

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=617861&sec=england&cc=5901

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Wilson Palacios is determined to get his new club into the top half of the Premier League following his positive start under Harry Redknapp.

Spurs boss Redknapp bought the Honduras international for £14million from Wigan and was pleased with his contribution in the draw against Arsenal at the weekend.

Palacios wants to help Redknapp's men climb from 15th in the table when they return from the international break.

"The aim is to get us back into the top half of the table first of all, to get more points and enjoy the rest of the season," he said.

"I know how good Spurs are and the quality of players we have here. I've played against them a few times so I know exactly how good they are.

"Everyone knows the club shouldn't be where they are in the table but now it's up to me and my team-mates to get us up to a better position."

Palacios, 24, has been encouraged by Redknapp's praise and wants to repay his manager.

He added: "When the manager has said positive things about you, it fires you up even more to work hard and back those comments up out on the field."

Guest daveaha

I didn't think we are losers there.  We just didn't get all the players we want but we have improved the squad and signings of Loven and Raylor have been spot on.

one game man, jesus

We definitely improved on set pieces... didn't we ?

I didn't think we are losers there.  We just didn't get all the players we want but we have improved the squad and signings of Loven and Raylor have been spot on.

one game man, jesus

Even if we just get Raylor in it's enough.  WE FINALLY HAVE A SET PIECE TAKER FFS. WE FINALLY SCORE FROM A CORNER.

Raylor is warrented a starting place for his set piece imo.

one game man, jesus

Even if we just get Raylor in it's enough.  WE FINALLY HAVE A SET PIECE TAKER FFS. WE FINALLY SCORE FROM A CORNER.

Raylor is warrented a starting place for his set piece imo.

we've played one game with them both, lets see how they stand up after 20 then maybe they'll be on the road to be classed "spot on" is my point

Guest The Libertine

Looks like not signing Jimmy Bullard was a good decision.

1 game and his season may be over. nolan ftw in every way.

Guest Heneage

Its now made obvious why Fulham didn't want to offer Bullard a long contract. I imagine Hull are just wishing they did a bit more probing into his situation.

http://www.wiganlatics.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10429~1560451,00.html

South Korean defensive midfielder Cho Won-Hee on trial with Wigan. He'll be on a free if they choose to sign him.

We absolutely should have been in for him. He's not much of a technician but he's got an absolutely ridiculous engine and tackles very well. Known as "the Korean Gattuso"

With any luck, Bruce may be unearthing another hidden gem for nowt.

Guest firetotheworks

South Korean defensive midfielder Cho Won-Hee on trial with Wigan. He'll be on a free if they choose to sign him.

We absolutely should have been in for him. He's not much of a technician but he's got an absolutely ridiculous engine and tackles very well. Known as "the Korean Gattuso"

You ever noticed that when they do that thing with players that they end up being anything but?

Emre: 'The Turkish Beckham'......aye, right oh.

You ever noticed that when they do that thing with players that they end up being anything but?

Emre: 'The Turkish Beckham'......aye, right oh.

You're forgetting the "WiganToon Beckham" Ryan Taylor.

Seriously though, I see him often and he's not bad at all. I had reservations about how well his physicality would translate to the prem but if Bruce is having a look surely there's something to see there. And we could use any sort of DM at all at the moment.