Other clubs' transfers

Dave

He was awesome but then made mistakes, Colo and Taylor are decent but then make mistakes.

As if Colo/Taylor's errors have been nearly as monumental as Titus' howlers.

He was a better player than both.

Guest firetotheworks

We have neither so at the moment I would settle for awesome and consistant :)

Plus I love Bramble and the constant stupid look he had.

I would say Taylor and Colo are both above average. Both good enough for the PL in more of a capacity than Bramble imo.

Raúl has an official offer to go play for NYRB after this season, and Real would let him go on a free (or maybe some marketing kickbacks in the MLS). They are matching his wages at Real (which are quite high, €7m net, 3rd highest at Real). Madrid would be quite happy to let him go "honorably" and save them the dressing room politics and the gigantic wages for a player who's no longer a starter.

Rumor is NYRB also wants Henry and Paolo Maldini... do they want to make another New York Cosmos?

Wouldn't surprise me.  Their stadium (The Red Bull Arena) is going to be something else.  Unfortunately it's in New Jersey - although directly across the street from a train station with direct access to NYC.  Could be something good happening there.

Wouldn't surprise me.  Their stadium (The Red Bull Arena) is going to be something else.  Unfortunately it's in New Jersey - although directly across the street from a train station with direct access to NYC.  Could be something good happening there.

Well, as a car-less New Yorker it's much more convenient to go there than the Giants stadium, so I'm planning to give the NYRB another go the next season. But I'm boycotting them the second Raúl puts on that (horrible, horrible) NYRB shirt.

Raúl has an official offer to go play for NYRB after this season, and Real would let him go on a free (or maybe some marketing kickbacks in the MLS). They are matching his wages at Real (which are quite high, €7m net, 3rd highest at Real). Madrid would be quite happy to let him go "honorably" and save them the dressing room politics and the gigantic wages for a player who's no longer a starter.

Rumor is NYRB also wants Henry and Paolo Maldini... do they want to make another New York Cosmos?

That documentary on the Cosmos is class btw. Definitely worth a watch.

There are work-arounds for the DP rule... you can trade a slot from another franchise that's not using it in exchange for players or allocation money. Still, every DP counts for 400,000$ against the salary cap IIRC (which is a mere 2,5m I think), which means if they got 3 they would have very little cap space to pay the rest of the squad (which would then be crap).

Guest firetotheworks

I might get bashed by some of our U.S based posters here, but does anyone else get the impression that sometimes American players/managers/fans tend to overcompensate in interviews sometimes? Not the likes of Freidel etc who have played over here for years, but perhaps players in the US squad, the manager, and sometimes the fans who will give away a little too much, or talk about a tactic, or something specific to football to gain respect, because they probably know that a lot over here have a perception that they can't possibly know anything about football, because they call it soccer, and don't have big crowds etc.

I notice it sometimes, it's a shame really. I don't want football going all American on me, but the people who are in the game now, and are fans are obviously in it because they love it, they shouldn't feel the need to prove anything. I could be wrong, but that's what I pick up from it sometimes.

That documentary on the Cosmos is class btw. Definitely worth a watch.

Yeah, it brought back a lot of memories. Things I had forgotten. I was a little kid in the late 70s and the film is a useful reminder to those who were not around at the time (either too young or in Europe) what a huge star Georgio Chinaglia was.

As a kid, I didn't know Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Best or Alberto or any of the other stars that had come to retire on a big fat paycheck from a hole in the ground.  Chinaglia was the player that we all emulated on the playground. Sure, the US media was a 24-hour Pele circus, but on the playground Chinaglia was king. Really.

I might get bashed by some of our U.S based posters here, but does anyone else get the impression that sometimes American players/managers/fans tend to overcompensate in interviews sometimes? Not the likes of Freidel etc who have played over here for years, but perhaps players in the US squad, the manager, and sometimes the fans who will give away a little too much, or talk about a tactic, or something specific to football to gain respect, because they probably know that a lot over here have a perception that they can't possibly know anything about football, because they call it soccer, and don't have big crowds etc.

I notice it sometimes, it's a shame really. I don't want football going all American on me, but the people who are in the game now, and are fans are obviously in it because they love it, they shouldn't feel the need to prove anything. I could be wrong, but that's what I pick up from it sometimes.

Haven't really noticed it. Have in mind, however, that American sports culture is characterized by their love of stats, numbers, etc... so football commentary is naturally going to be affected by it. Sit around people discussing baseball or a gridiron game and you'll see that they talk sports in a very different way than us do.

I.e. when Mark Sanchez drops a bollock and throws the pigskin into the opposition loving hands, commentators will start talking about this being his X interception that season, and comparing it to other QBs, and estimate how much f***ing yardage has been potentially given the opposition every game... they just love their numbers. When Busquets loses the ball in our own half I have no f***ing idea how many time he's done it, I just curse the guy  :angry:

Guest firetotheworks

Haven't really noticed it. Have in mind, however, that American sports culture is characterized by their love of stats, numbers, etc... so football commentary is naturally going to be affected by it. Sit around people discussing baseball or a gridiron game and you'll see that they talk sports in a very different way than us do.

I.e. when Mark Sanchez drops a bollock and throws the pigskin into the opposition loving hands, commentators will start talking about this being his X interception that season, and comparing it to other QBs, and estimate how much f***ing yardage has been potentially given the opposition every game... they just love their numbers. When Busquets loses the ball in our own half I have no f***ing idea how many time he's done it, I just curse the guy  :angry:

Aye, the commentators and that culture is part of the reason I think the managers, fans etc overcompensate maybe. Because they think it's embarrassing too.

'Beckham..Haff way...HUSTLE!'

I always laugh thinking about when a commentator said that. Reminds me of that Dennis Pennis sketch where he couldn't give a shit when someone scores, but when it goes out he screams 'ITS A THROW INNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' and loads of graphics come up on the screen. I remember because the match he's commentating on is a Newcastle match.

Aye, the commentators and that culture is part of the reason I think the managers, fans etc overcompensate maybe. Because they think it's embarrassing too.

'Beckham..Haff way...HUSTLE!'

I always laugh thinking about when a commentator said that. Reminds me of that Dennis Pennis sketch where he couldn't give a shit when someone scores, but when it goes out he screams 'ITS A THROW INNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' and loads of graphics come up on the screen. I remember because the match he's commentating on is a Newcastle match.

was newcastle charlton wasn't it? think shearer scored a freekick in that game

Several times I think yank soccer football commentators are retired wrestling commentators or something.

Max Bretos on FSC is.  He also happens to be the worst commentator ever.

Does he have a job anymore? Disappeared from the airwaves hasn't he? Not that I really miss him.

Several times I think yank soccer football commentators are retired wrestling commentators or something.

Max Bretos on FSC is.  He also happens to be the worst commentator ever.

Does he have a job anymore? Disappeared from the airwaves hasn't he? Not that I really miss him.

Yeah I see him from time to time on the panel-type shows they have.  Always grates my soul when talks about stuff and is blatantly wrong.

Not something I've really noticed. Wouldn't doubt it though. Commentators certainly do though, we don't have one good one over here.

Bretos is with ESPNews now, he left FSC a month or so ago.