Other clubs' transfers

Dave

On a related note, Valdes' improvement over the past few years has seemed quite drastic. IIRC in the Rijkaard era he'd make a fair few silly errors but he looks generally much more assured under Pep. His sweeper-keeper role must have given him this confidence. Again, I'm not sure how much the lack of him being tested is down to this perception.

Guest Chubby Jason

Lehman's one of the best keepers I've seen in the PL. Still surprised Arsene let him go.

One of the best?? He was totally erratic and unreliable from what I remember of him.

On a related note, Valdes' improvement over the past few years has seemed quite drastic. IIRC in the Rijkaard era he'd make a fair few silly errors but he looks generally much more assured under Pep. His sweeper-keeper role must have given him this confidence. Again, I'm not sure how much the lack of him being tested is down to this perception.

I'd chalk it down to experience really. He was a sweeper keeper under Rijkaard already, but he seems more confident to do so nowadays, and rarely takes unnecessary risks when doing it. He's just more calm in general.

Incidentally, you just made me think of our first sweeper-keeper, Sergio Busquets' dad Carlos. Boy was he awful.

He made the odd daft gaff, but all keepers do from time to time. He made no more than his fair share.

The season around 05/06 where we had Lehmann and Almunia in and out of the side and United had Howard and Carroll in and out of their side it was embarrasing some of the mistakes that were getting made, for both sides from each keeper. I think with keepers if they know they are number 1 they perform better. Saying that though, Lehmann was a great great goalkeeper and was integral to our unbeaten run (made a few gaffs but more than made up for them.)

Lehman's one of the best keepers I've seen in the PL. Still surprised Arsene let him go.

Said it all along - all you needed to do with Lehmann was tread on his toes once at a corner. He'd lose his nut, twat you one then get sent off. I'd do it every single time, and enjoy it, because he was an utter cunt.

Guest Howaythetoon

Arsenal's problem is they have no plan B. They cannot adjust tactically or footballing wise - they just play the same way regardless of opposition, game type or game situation. That was our problem during our almost season under KK when we nearly won the league. That and its hard for their key players to shine constantly because they are almost all the same kind of players. Arshaven for another team would stand out like a sore thumb for example because everything would go through him. At Arsenal one game it does, the next Nasri or Fabregas or whoever which makes it hard for such players like Arshaven to perform consistently well.

Says the resident goalkeeping expert who thinks Heurelho Gomes is 'very good'.

Even Heurelho Gomes thinks Heurelho Gomes is s***

Very very unfair. He's inconsistent, but on a good day he's unbeatable.

I agree he's a great keeper on his day and he played a couple of blinders against us for PSV in particular and has great moments although the same could be said about Almunia, he has had a couple of amazing games against Barcelona in the last two seasons but keepers get judged on their mistakes by most people.

I agree he's a great keeper on his day and he played a couple of blinders against us for PSV in particular and has great moments although the same could be said about Almunia, he has had a couple of amazing games against Barcelona in the last two seasons but keepers get judged on their mistakes by most people.

Honestly, don't compare Gomes to Almunia.

Gomes is a couple of levels above.

I'm not sure Gash understands the concept of someone not being amazing or brilliant.

Tell me one player who isn't amazing or brilliant.

I'm not sure Gash understands the concept of someone not being amazing or brilliant.

Ronaldinho > Henry

Easily.

Not a chance in he'll, Rooney aside he's the most overrated player of our generation!

:undecided:

Well then, IP. Your answer is right there. Rooney is NOT amazing. Nor is he even brilliant!