Newcastle United 0 - 2 Chelsea - 05/05/08 - post match reaction from page 13

James

Chelsea's possession isn't dangerous possession, tbh. They've had a lot around the middle third but almost no penetration. Can't get down the wings, can't thread balls through and have resorted to pot shots from distance.

We look the more dangerous team.

Good game this, we've certainly matched them. The obvious negative for the majority of the half was the passing and moving - players weren't supporting each other and we were fannying around with the ball, and losing possession. Pretty clear that this was angrily barked at them from the touchline, because a couple of those moves towards the end of the half were exceptional.

Taylor, Barton, Martins and Enrique (him in-particular) are having good games. Nicky Butt and Viduka look like the weak links to me, sloppy in possession.

What we're doing best is hassling them. We're not giving them any time on the ball - we're charging them down, defending as a big unit, tackling well. If we give them time we'll concede, but we're not - good to see. When they have possession, it looks like we've got more players than them. What's unfortunate is that Chelsea's strongest point of the game so far is exactly the same as ours.

I can see us grabbing a goal soon. Nothing to say we cannot win this.

Good half, could barely stomach Martin Tyler and Andy Gray shitting themselves over that clearance from Terry off the line.  "He knew exactly where Owen was going to put it"  Did he fuck, looked pretty surprised when the fucking ball was struck at him. 

From 1st half's performance I'd say that we should really be fighting for TOP4 places(or is it just Chelsea being really bad?) Some very good passing under pressure and Martins awesome at running in space and holding the ball(usually too long though). Sometimes it looks like Enrique's reight footed actually as he keep cutting inside and looking for a pass instead of a cross with his (preferred left foot).

Solid performance from the whole team so far. Defensively great but somehow I'm not that satisfied with Viduka's effort! He's done decent job but Owen and Martins make him look so bad...

Geremi is the weak link in this side.

Martins is playing great, but he lacks awareness of other players when they are in a better position.  You can pretty much guarantee that if Martins gets forward with the ball either he'll shoot, or pass it backwards.  He hardly ever seems to cross it in to the box, even when there are 2 or 3 Newcastle players waiting for it.

Good game this, we've certainly matched them. The obvious negative for the majority of the half was the passing and moving - players weren't supporting each other and we were fannying around with the ball, and losing possession. Pretty clear that this was angrily barked at them from the touchline, because a couple of those moves towards the end of the half were exceptional.

Taylor, Barton, Martins and Enrique (him in-particular) are having good games. Nicky Butt and Viduka look like the weak links to me, sloppy in possession.

What we're doing best is hassling them. We're not giving them any time on the ball - we're charging them down, defending as a big unit, tackling well. If we give them time we'll concede, but we're not - good to see. When they have possession, it looks like we've got more players than them. What's unfortunate is that Chelsea's strongest point of the game so far is exactly the same as ours.

Very harsh on Butt, think he's been great. He's tried a couple of his "Hollywood-passes" that's been wasteful, but aside from those two, he's been immense.

Man, Viduka is slow, shit and incapable of making a pass. If we had anyone else better than him playing, we'd be dominating this game. Every ball launched up is coming back towards us because Viduka's too slow to get into position to challenge it and/or he cannot jump high enough to challenge Terry and Carvalho, so it's really restricted the way we can counter-attack them to just the ball in behind to Martins. It's like we're playing with 10 men here. Even though we're doing fine and had a great spell to end the half, imagine how much better it could have been if we had someone other than Viduka (who would actually contribute)?

I'd actually put Smith in there because he'll win a few headers and at least he'll run around more. Viduka's just been totally off the pace today and thus, out of the game. Even when the ball goes into his feet, he gives away. And that's supposed to be his forte or summat. It's like he's trying to pull off a shit impersonation of Alan Smith. And he's been successful.

Back four have been solid, worried about Anelka though. Butt is everywhere. Geremi and Viduka the biggest let-downs so far; not quick enough after the first touch.

Guest shearer_united

The defense seems confident... though Habib Beye is having a bad day at finishing..

I would like to see more balls passed to Martins, he seems lively.

Surprised Harper wans't really tested. good sign.

Lets hope for the best !!

I agree about Viduka but not about Butt. He'll never be the greatest passer but looked very good defensively.

Good first half from us, we've been getting people behind the ball and it's made us look a solid unit which Chelsea are struggling to break down, a few sloppy passes here and there but not much to worry about on our part, just need to get more support up field when we play Martins down the left.

Some of our passing play at times has been excellent.

Man, Viduka is slow, s*** and incapable of making a pass. If we had anyone else better than him playing, we'd be dominating this game. Every ball launched up is coming back towards us because Viduka's too slow to get into position to challenge it and/or he cannot jump high enough to challenge Terry and Carvalho, so it's really restricted the way we can counter-attack them to just the ball in behind to Martins. It's like we're playing with 10 men here. Even though we're doing fine and had a great spell to end the half, imagine how much better it could have been if we had someone other than Viduka (who would actually contribute)?

I'd actually put Smith in there because he'll win a few headers and at least he'll run around more. Viduka's just been totally off the pace today and thus, out of the game. Even when the ball goes into his feet, he gives away. And that's supposed to be his forte or summat. It's like he's trying to pull off a s*** impersonation of Alan Smith. And he's been successful.

Harsh on  Viduka, thought he did OK..

No chance in fucking hell you'll see Smith winning headers, last game he played against far worse centerbacks and didn't win a single header..he's shit..face it man.

Good first half. Who'd have thought, back in Jan/Feb, that we'd be holding our own and, indeed, looking the more dangerous side against Chelsea. That said, we're still far too wasteful in possession. Giving it away too cheaply in midfield, and we're a bit fortunate that we haven't been punished for it. Looking very good at the back, though, and good positioning by Terry is the only reason we're not ahead right now.

On a side note, is that Setanta puppet-show thing always that painfully unfunny?

Very harsh on Butt, think he's been great. He's tried a couple of his "Hollywood-passes" that's been wasteful, but aside from those two, he's been immense.

Agreed 100%.