Keegan on breaking into the top four, and fifth as a target next year

hakka

A summary of the next 30 pages:

A: Say what you will about Shepherd but at least he put money in and had ambition.

B: Oh no he didn't, he left us with lots of debts and lined his own pockets and made lots of cash off of the Woodgate deal etc.

A: But Ashley hasn't spent anything!  And now it looks like Keegan will be left with nothing?

B: We don't know that though, Mort said otherwise and he could be bluffing!

A: Idiot

B: Lunatic

A&B: Abuse, abuse, abuse, laughing sarcastic emoticon, etc.

That's always my favourite bit. 

mackems.gif

Guest optimistic nit

I hope he's bluffing.

aye, although mort's comments 2-3 weeks back made me think we'd be spending an extra 5million on any player we bought, he said words to the effect of we have money to burn iirc.

Guest getalife

No need to panic whatsoever here.

MON does the same. Start of last summer he was talking every day about not wanting to bankrupt the club, being sensible, working to a budget, then he goes out and spends. He's paranoid about not being held to ransom.

No manager with half a brain is ever going to say "I've got s*** loads to spend" - you'll get bumraped in the market.

This is especially true for clubs recently taken over by billionaires. MON does it, Curbishley has been doing it recently, even Shinawatra has.

Sound business sense.

he looked well uncomfortable though

No need to panic whatsoever here.

MON does the same. Start of last summer he was talking every day about not wanting to bankrupt the club, being sensible, working to a budget, then he goes out and spends. He's paranoid about not being held to ransom.

No manager with half a brain is ever going to say "I've got s*** loads to spend" - you'll get bumraped in the market.

This is especially true for clubs recently taken over by billionaires. MON does it, Curbishley has been doing it recently, even Shinawatra has.

Sound business sense.

he looked well uncomfortable though

Good acting I hope.

Guest Stephen927

Would be a bit pissed off if he was to come out and say he has a blank cheque book.

He's just boxing clever.

he did look really down beat, as low as ive seen him look since he came back here

Tbf, he probably sent them out in the secondhalf hoping we could knick a win and we got humped.

Would be a bit pissed off if he was to come out and say he has a blank cheque book.

He's just boxing clever.

I saw the interview.

It looked so real  -  it had to be unreal.

It was so (totally) depressing, it sounded like we were Derby County or a club like that. He was saying we would never challenge again!

It was so real, IT HAS TO BE UNREAL (IE, A 'BLUFF').

Otherwise . . . . . .

he did look really down beat, as low as ive seen him look since he came back here

Should have been more upbeat after losing a game shouldn't he?

Tbf, he probably sent them out in the secondhalf hoping we could knick a win and we got humped.

i understand he would have been down beat about the game but im just saying it seemed more than that, especially when talking about the money situation.

Depends on who the 2-3 players are tbh. If they are all like Modric thats going to be around £50m. Maybe we need target players who aren't so highly rated/valued.

The actual quotes from the Sky interview:

"You don't feel like doing a lap of honour after the season we've had at Newcastle

"People have to understand this Premiership...the players on (Chelsea's) bench....there's a massive gulf.  (...) We can't get near them.  There's a massive gulf.  It's impossible to bridge.  It's a frustrating division to be in for all the rest of us."

"What have I got to do to get near them?  There's nothing I can do at all, and the fans need to know that.  I won't have enough money to do it because they are spending a lot (...) but I won't be able to get their players.  Maybe 1 or 3 depending on what money's available.  I see Sheva, Lampard come on and Cole.....maybe the owner thinks we can bridge that gap, but we can't."

http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_3525515,00.html

Guest getalife

Depends on who the 2-3 players are tbh. If they are all like Modric thats going to be around £50m. Maybe we need target players who aren't so highly rated/valued.

It was more than that though mate, it was all doom and gloom, as if he's right down, it's the end. And this when it's just starting........ again.....

Keegan has money to spend and I think he'll spend the most we've ever spent in one window if he can get the players he wants, if anybody has the Stanley knife out go for it.

We are not going to attract players who will command huge fee's. We will buy good players, not world beaters, and finish around 7th. Then we will build on this and bring in some higher quality players. People are expecting too much IMO.

Guest getalife

The actual quotes from the Sky interview:

"You don't feel like doing a lap of honour after the season we've had at Newcastle

"People have to understand this Premiership...the players on (Chelsea's) bench....there's a massive gulf.  (...) We can't get near them.  There's a massive gulf.  It's impossible to bridge.  It's a frustrating division to be in for all the rest of us."

"What have I got to do to get near them?  There's nothing I can do at all, and the fans need to know that.  I won't have enough money to do it because they are spending a lot (...) but I won't be able to get their players.  Maybe 1 or 3 depending on what money's available.  I see Sheva, Lampard come on and Cole.....maybe the owner thinks we can bridge that gap, but we can't."

Okay mate, hear you......

What he's basically saying is we can't catch Chelsea because they will probably spend just as much if not more than we will whilst already having top quality throughout their squad. He never said there was little money to spend.

So he's not saying he won't have enough money to spend, but saying that whatever money he will spend, it won't be enough to bridge the gap because he can't spend money on the players that Chelsea have got..?

Does anyone else read it the same I did?

It is disheartening to hear him say this, but I reckon it's just him trying to lower the expectations for next season.

Edit: Nut and Skeletor seems to agree.

What I think he means is that he won't have the money to close the gap, and rightly so imo. We could easily spend £50m...but so too will Chelsea, Man Utd, etc.

How anyone could get anything else but that from the interview is beyond me...(although i do know someone who could possibly have a go  :lol:)