Keegan on breaking into the top four, and fifth as a target next year

hakka

I think he's wrong TBH

Liverpool could implode, Arsenal are being chased by investors, Chelski are dependent on one owner, Mad Sir Alex and Wenger will retire in the next few years...........................................

We have a long way to go to be sure but Villa, Blackburn & everton must be in with a chance

He's not really saying anything we didn't know. Should be a needed wake-up call to people who thought that it was going to be an immediate step back to the old days though. I'm certainly optimistic that we will be challenging the top six next season though.

The timing of the comments has to be relevant. Did he really need to wait until the team were playing and winning (then lost to a top 4 side) to make these comments?

I dont think anyone could believe he didnt think there was a gulf in class when playing Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U earlier in the season, especially as he made the point about only Everton breaking in in the last 6 years. If, as everyone has agreed, its a fairly obvious point, then he could have made it earlier. He didnt though.

Fair point. What do you think the relevance of the timing is then? Just a nudge at the chairman/owner, or something more sinister?

I think the timing was based on losing Modric and seeing Chelsea's bench.

Losing Modric sent the message that money ALONE wasn't going to solve the problem.  We offered more money.  Modric opted for less money and a perceived better chance at CL football.  Watching who came off the bench for Chelsea as well as the quality of player that wasn't even named as a substitute drove home just how far off the club really is.  Keegan was just speaking his mind and was caught in a low moment, IMO.  It's a daunting task and it's going to take more than a summer transfer window to right the ship.  In fact, you could say that throwing a lot of money at mediocre players would be a big step backwards.

My first reaction was that KK was feeling a bit helpless. I think he feels hurt as it's dawning on him the nature of the task ahead...It looks impossible.

It's difficult, but in the longer term, it's not impossible.

My message to Keegan would be - if you don't fancy the job any more, get out now. If you're staying, stop whingeing.

My message to Keegan would be - if you don't fancy the job any more, get out now. If you're staying, stop whingeing.

:rolleyes:

“I think it’s very, very exciting to finish fifth in the league for Newcastle,” he said. “You’d be mad in my position to say we can get in the top-four next season. You can’t ask an owner to spend that kind of money or get the players to come to this club that you would need to get in the top four.

“We lost out on (Luka) Modric to Spurs and that tells you something. It’s a blow – it’s not the end of the world.

“I’m still optimistic for this club in terms of where it’s been in the last couple of years.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/05/06/realist-kevin-lowers-fans-expectations-61634-20865971/

Keegan: Give me cash to spend

May 6 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

KEVIN KEEGAN has admitted that he is in the dark as to how much money he will have to strengthen his Newcastle United squad in the close season.

And the revelation is bound to cause concern among the United fans as their inspirational, iconic and charismatic manager is clearly not happy with the situation.

Keegan has put the ball very much in owner Mike Ashley’s court, although he pledged to try and take United to just outside the top four in the Premier League in the three years he has on his contract with the club.

Of course, no club or manager likes to put a figure on what money is available to spend for a lot of reasons, leaving the guessing games to start.

And when I put it to Keegan that there is talk that he will only be allowed to spend what he generates in the market himself in the close season, he told me: “I don’t know. I have not been told. I don’t know what is here if I am honest.

“That’s not a problem. We will just have to wait and see.

“You really need to be talking to Chris Mort or Denis Wise about the finances for this football club.

“It’s not my job and I have never been involved in it.

“That’s the truth. I cannot help you on that other than saying my job is to ask Tony Jimenez to go and get players.

“I give them a player and they go and try and get him for us.”

“I am saying that whatever finance will be there, it will not be enough to take us into the top four.”

Keegan did not look very happy when, as the players and the rest of the staff congregated in the centre circle after yesterday’s 2-0 defeat by Chelsea at St James’s Park, he walked off alone.

And Keegan, who famously wears his heart on his sleeve, poured that very same heart out in his post-match Press conference.

At this moment in time only one thing is certain, and that is the United fans are 100% behind Keegan.

And those fans will be lifted when Keegan added: “My enthusiasm is the same as it always has been. I love this club.”

Speaking about the support of the fans, Keegan added: “With that comes a major responsibility and that responsibility is to be realistic with them and tell them I am not going to get enough money to make major changes at this football club.

“I know that already. I do know that much. Major changes take massive finance and it’s not massive finance.”

There is no doubt that United chief Keegan was down and very emotional last night, but he insisted: “I am not depressed. I am just being realistic.

“The fans know that. They are very knowledgeable here.

“If I have said anything that has offended them I would be surprised.

“They are thinking how much money is there?

“If someone said there would be £40 or £50m it still would not be enough to get you from where we are.

“We do not need as big a squad as Chelsea because we have not got Champions League football.

“We are not going to do it in my time in three years. We are just not going to do that. We cannot make that leap.

“What I can do is get this club higher up the table. I believe I can do that.

“Fifth place is our League championship.

“That fifth place that Everton or Aston Villa are going to get is our championship within the Premier League.”

In Keegan’s first spell as manager he took chairman Sir John Hall to task for saying that United must consolidate when he got them back into the Premier League.

However, he now says: “It’s a different world now. I don’t think fifth place in the Premier League is consolidation.”

KEVIN KEEGAN has admitted that he is in the dark as to how much money he will have to strengthen his Newcastle United squad in the close season.

And the revelation is bound to cause concern among the United fans as their inspirational, iconic and charismatic manager is clearly not happy with the situation.“I don’t know. I have not been told. I don’t know what is here if I am honest.

That’s not a problem. We will just have to wait and see.

“You really need to be talking to Chris Mort or Denis Wise about the finances for this football club.

“It’s not my job and I have never been involved in it.

“That’s the truth. I cannot help you on that other than saying my job is to ask Tony Jimenez to go and get players.

“I give them a player and they go and try and get him for us.”

Sounds well unhappy. I'm concerned.

Still think KK should be doing the go-getting, no one can sell this place like him. I mean he re-sold the club to me in his 1st press conference when he came back, i felt all warm and giddy inside about NUFC for the 1st time in several years, new players who many not know need to feel this, i doubt the current setup can bring that to the table, all they can offer is money motivation which means we won't get the types of personalities KK wants.

I'm still more than willing to see where we are at the end of the transfer window before commenting. See how things pan out, see if KK gets the players/type of player he wants.

Dunno why everyone (including the media) is so impatient and looking for banana skins all the time.

Yes, it's a different setup to before. Yes, it's a different setup to some other clubs.

Let's see what happens, eh?

Still think KK should be doing the go-getting, no one can sell this place like him. I mean he re-sold the club to me in his 1st press conference when he came back, i felt all warm and giddy inside about NUFC for the 1st time in several years, new players who many not know need to feel this, i doubt the current setup can bring that to the table, all they can offer is money motivation which means we won't get the types of personalities KK wants.

He wasn't exactly selling the club with that little outburst last night.

I doubt many players would sign for a club without speaking to the manager anyway.

Guest shaun11177

What different set up. Manager hands list to Freddy Shepherd-KK hands list to Jimenez.

Nothing to stop Jimenez turning round and saying-sorry Kevin-that one was too expensive-that one wanted too much money-that one i didnt make much effort on because Dennis and I and Chris didnt really want him-oops delete that last one.

Give Keegan a transfer and wages budget and let him decide who to buy, for how much and what wages to pay.

Guest optimistic nit

I think he's wrong TBH

Liverpool could implode, Arsenal are being chased by investors, Chelski are dependent on one owner, Mad Sir Alex and Wenger will retire in the next few years...........................................

We have a long way to go to be sure but Villa, Blackburn & everton must be in with a chance

aye. it looks impossible now, but in 3 years time so much could have changed. i cant see chelsea ever breaking even, so if they lose roman they will face a mass clearout.

I'm not worried by his comments at all

The man is just being realistic, hes a cunning man with the media - people need to look at that a little more.  He's not some fool going to tell the world "we have XXX to spend and we will get XXX player" Come on everyone, you know better than that.

He's veiling whatever he wants, and I personally don't think there is a real "budget", i think we have a ballpark amount of how much we are to spend, but overall, I think it all depends on who we can get and how much we decide the player is worth...I imagine if we have the chance to get 4 top quality players for big $ then we will get them, and if we need to get 2-3 squad players to challenge - we will do that as well.  I think this summer will be amazingly interesting.

STOP crying wolf everytime there is a mixed message...in KK we trust.

Anal is such a s***-stirrer.

Oliver: I'm A c***

FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG I have been allowed to write absolute twaddle in this daily publication, infuriating many people in and around Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Today I can reveal that not only has a Toon insider told me that Michael Owen will sensationally snub a new deal from Newcastle United, but I am also led to believe that

I am one hell of a knob head.  As the Chronicle revealed last week, Chris Mort personally rang me to tell me that he and the loveable Mike Ashley will be laying out a new

deal to Owen.  I can now confirm that Owen will not commit his future to United.  This will come as a big blow to United fans (or will it?  You tell me, you're the fans.

I'm just making this s*** up!) who hoped that the one they call "The Messiah" was going to build a team around the striker in order to challenge for fifth place next

season.  As Keegan said yesterday afternoon, he doesn't think the Big 4 can be broken.  Indeed, as I was busy with my cock firmly up my cats arse as I watched him

say this, the Toon insider I mentioned earlier rang me with more sensational news that will shock United fans.  The Little Turk (copright, A. Oliver, 2005-present.  

Everyone knows I have to use this 88383 times in an article about him.) has picked up a further niggle that will keep him out of Sunday's final game away at Everton.

Keegan: Give me cash to spend

And when I put it to Keegan that there is talk that he will only be allowed to spend what he generates in the market himself in the close season, he told me: “I don’t know. I have not been told. I don’t know what is here if I am honest.

Alan Oliver is a twat, where has he heard this "talk" that he mentions?

I can't remember anybody saying that, can anybody else?

Shepherd still feeding Oliver his lines imo.

And that would just make him even thicker if he got his information from somebody who isn't allowed into the ground.

It is Oliver so you could be right. 

I am happy to wait and see, I trust KK.

here here,

Im sure we went through all of this with sir john hall, 

and we all know how well all that turned out,  1st,3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd

Guest jimmy84

did anyone else find that thing he said on sky sports about shaun wright-phillips interesting? something like, "i've had a word with him on told him if he was at this club he'd be straight in the team".

speculating wildly, but that sounds like persuasion...

did anyone else find that thing he said on sky sports about shaun wright-phillips interesting? something like, "i've had a word with him on told him if he was at this club he'd be straight in the team".

Didn't see that mate, was it said in jest or serious?

Thats the calibre he will be after.

Didn't see that mate, was it said in jest or serious?

Thats the calibre he will be after.

He said "I've just spoken to SWP and he hasn't even bothered getting changed, if I could pick him up and put him in our dressing room he'd definitely play"

He didn't mention what he said to SWP.