Where's the ambition?

bulivye

Keegan's a f****** idiot for some of the comments he's come out with over the last few days.

was he an idiot when he went 7 games unbeaten,

He hadn't made them at the time so obviously not, he wasn't an idiot when we got bummed by the decent teams either before you start.

Kaka makes some good points, there are some top quality footballers out there and that seems to be the area Vetere has scouted, if you look over the past few years how many people who don't play FM had heard of the likes of Berbatov, Elano, Corluka, Kranjcar, Pedersen, Manuel Fernandes, Luis Valencia, Gelson Fernandes, Yakubu etc? Perhaps the football manager comment is harsh but I wouldn't say any of that lot is household names, the best thing about them though is that not only have they come over here and looked the part but they're are/were at a decent age when they got here so there was plenty of room for improvement.

Keegan on the other hand comes across as someone stuck in his ways and even though he's done well for us in the transfer market the last time I still have my doubts about what he'll come up with this time, talk of Riise and Wayne Bridge hardly set the pulse racing and my biggest worry is that's the sort of player he's going to go for, well known Premiership players who have hit their peak and will soon be on the way down.

It appears the club have gone about putting together a quality scouting network which will hopefully be as good as any in the Premiership yet Keegan comes across as not being happy to use it, which would be a waste.

Mort's comments in the match programme were spot on, for this club to ever move forward we need to sign players who are not only good enough now but who are nowhere near their peak and can get even better over the following years, players like Modric or any of the above when they first came over here who can possibly stay here for the next 10 years if they're good enough, not the likes of Henry who will need replacing in 2 years time.

What it all comes down too is the fact that Keegan is going to have to sit down with the new scouts and have a look at the players they have made a note of. He has to be open to this and I pray he will be. We are going to have to get players in who are not that familiar to everyone. Talented players who are still on the verge and haven't quite been pounced upon yet.

When Sven was going after all theose players remember the stick he got? About how he scouted them all through yout tube. Well he had the last laugh didn't he.

How about Eduardo? The media went on about how he wasn't fit for Arsenal coming from the Croatian league and how he could never eplace Henry etc etc etc. Well he was well on his way to looking like a hell of a player to me!

We can do this and Keegan really ought ot be more up for it.

Keegan's a f****** idiot for some of the comments he's come out with over the last few days.

He hadn't made them at the time so obviously not, he wasn't an idiot when we got bummed by the decent teams either before you start.

keegan knows what he is doing, we went through all this in 1992, then, 1st, 3rd, 6th, 2nd 2nd.

i hope keegan is a bit more receptive to players coming from south america, too. read something the other day that wise and co had been scouring latin america for young talent recently, but goes against what keegan said about not being keen on buying south americans.

it is clearly a tough transition to go from somewhere like buenos aires to tyneside, but there's just too many talented players from that continent to ignore it. you're probably talking almost half of all the best players in the world coming from there. young players there are so desperate to move to europe that it gives us an excellent chance to bring them in, whereas someone playing in portugal or the netherlands might be prepared to stay put for longer in the hope a bigger club comes calling.

Guest alex

keegan knows what he is doing, we went through all this in 1992, then, 1st, 3rd, 6th, 2nd 2nd.

Means nowt though, does it? I reckon he'll do well here but he'll be bucking the trend of managers going back to old clubs if he does.

Means nowt though, does it? I reckon he'll do well here but he'll be bucking the trend of managers going back to old clubs if he does.

Walter Smith's doing alright like.

Guest alex

Is he? :razz: You knew what I meant though. Past achievements at a club guarentee very little 2nd time round.

Yeah but it's the SPL tbh. :lol:

i hope keegan is a bit more receptive to players coming from south america, too. read something the other day that wise and co had been scouring latin america for young talent recently, but goes against what keegan said about not being keen on buying south americans.

it is clearly a tough transition to go from somewhere like buenos aires to tyneside, but there's just too many talented players from that continent to ignore it. you're probably talking almost half of all the best players in the world coming from there. young players there are so desperate to move to europe that it gives us an excellent chance to bring them in, whereas someone playing in portugal or the netherlands might be prepared to stay put for longer in the hope a bigger club comes calling.

People say about how the likes of Bassedas and Cordone didn't work out but if you're going for the average South American's then you can't expect them to be World beaters, much like you can't expect much from buying average English players like Smith, there's a lot of good young lads over there and we should be looking to bring some over here.

Imagine if Sir Bobby had managed to get Tevez instead of Patrick Kluivert, after all Tevez has said Sir Bobby was watching him when he was in Argentina.

Denilson at Arsenal is another quality player.

It means, ---what motivated Keegans speech on sky sports,

He will not settle for being an also ran, never did as a player , never did here as a manager.

He wont settle for being an also ran Now, at least not without a fight.

For me, This is exactly the type of Man I want as Newcastle manager.

Not happy with being an also ran.

It means, ---what motivated Keegans speech on sky sports,

He will not settle for being an also ran, never did as a player , never did here as a manager.

He wont settle for being an also ran Now, at least not without a fight.

For me, This is exactly the type of Man I want as Newcastle manager.

Not happy with being an also ran.

Unless he realises that he'll always be an also ran with us?

As is Redknapp. And Capello went back to Madrid after 10 years and won the league.

Guest optimistic nit

tbh keegan said that he wanted to bring players in that will improve the team from day 1, not that will take time to settle, which is fair enough. it doesn't mean he won't be getting players from south america, but if he does, they will have to be good enough to imrpove the team right away.

People say about how the likes of Bassedas and Cordone didn't work out but if you're going for the average South American's then you can't expect them to be World beaters, much like you can't expect much from buying average English players like Smith, there's a lot of good young lads over there and we should be looking to bring some over here.

Imagine if Sir Bobby had managed to get Tevez instead of Patrick Kluivert, after all Tevez has said Sir Bobby was watching him when he was in Argentina.

It'd be difficult to get an establisihed player from the South American leagues to adapt, but i dont see the difficulty in getting a youngster to learn his trade in our leagues and develop into a player ready form the prem. Look at most the Arsenal squad.

Guest optimistic nit

I dont get it, aiming to move from 12th best to 5th best is ambitious.

we will have no chance of attracting the players capable of getting us into the top 10 though, unless the players think that CL football is a possabilty.

you have spurs who have shown that they are trying to get into the cl, martin o'neill said that he wants to return aston villa to their former glory, citeh want cl football by the season after next and everton and portsmouth have both shown ambition and have improved season after season for a while.

these are the clubs we will be competing with for players, yet atm, the image i get from newcastle is that we have gone backwards tremendously over the past 5 years and the manager doesn't believe he can challenge the top 4. when you have citeh, spurs and villa saying they think they can do it, and newcastle saying they can't, who are you going to chose? quite frankly we are possibly the least attractive team in the list in the above paragraph anyway, without keegan shooting us in the foot.

Acuna and Solano are good examples of us bringing in south americans. We even bought Nobby from the biggest club on the continent for a small fee which shows how much easier it can be. Acuna would've gone on to be an even bigger player for us had he not had to return home to look after his seriously ill mother.

it's also worthwhile to pick up south americans who have already made the journey over to europe, either playing for a smaller club in a big league like Villarreal (or West Ham!) or in a less prestigous league like Elano in the Ukraine.

Keegan's gone from...

“I want people to dream about their football club. They should, we should all be dreamers at heart. Some people are the opposite and say 'we can't do that', but when you ask them why, they can't give a reason. Well, I say, 'Why not?'”

To...

"During my time here – and I’ve got three years left – Newcastle will not be a Champions League club."

Guest optimistic nit

also when keegan was talking about south americans, he was very much talking about first teamers for next season. buying youth from there is a different prospect entirely, and one i'm sure he is looking at doing.

Guest optimistic nit

Keegan's gone from...

I want people to dream about their football club. They should, we should all be dreamers at heart. Some people are the opposite and say 'we can't do that', but when you ask them why, they can't give a reason. Well, I say, 'Why not?'

To...

"During my time here and Ive got three years left Newcastle will not be a Champions League club."

its tragic. i have half a mind to drive up to newcastle, punch keegan in the face and then show him why we can do it.

Is he? :razz: You knew what I meant though. Past achievements at a club guarentee very little 2nd time round.

Who says going back should not be done ? I dont get the reasons for that statement.

If you repeat this never go back idea enough times do you think it will start to sound true.

Where is the evidence to back it up.

As i see it going back to somewhere familiar should give a better chance of success than going somewhere that you have no experience of. but perhaps I am missing the point. Just saying dont go back is not enough on its own no matter how many times it is repeated.

Who says going back should not be done

Who says going back should not be done ? I dont get the reasons for that statement.

If you repeat this never go back idea enough times do you think it will start to sound true.

Where is the evidence to back it up.

As i see it going back to somewhere familiar should give a better chance of success than going somewhere that you have no experience of. but perhaps I am missing the point. Just saying dont go back is not enough on its own no matter how many times it is repeated.

Who says going back should not be done

Graham Taylor, Howard Kendall, Alan Ball, Hector Cuper, Claudio Ranieri, Mick Buxton etc etc etc etc