Rightwinger: SWP, Pennant or Lennon?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest guinness_fiend

Whilst SWP is arguably the better player overall, I voted for Pennant, as I think that we need to be realistic on how we go about improving our squad. 

(unless, of course, we can get SWP for the same price as Pennant!)

Practically speaking, we could do with bringing in a good five or six 'good' players over the course of the summer.  As it stands, we have a fair few time wasters on our books (some of which should not be allowed to watch the Premiership, let alone play in it).

As such, a shrewd bit of money management and motivation could go a long way.  Personally, I think that a top four (or even top five) position will be out of our reach next season.  There is just too much to do.  I would like to see KK and the board work together to  consolidate our existing position and ensure that we iron our the kinks as much as possible (i.e. beating teams like Derby and ensuring that we do not drop as many points against lesser teams). 

For instance, simply replacing 'average' players with 'good' players (more for less) could go a long way to doing this.  And it would be a damn sight cheaper than buying a few 'excellent' players (less for more) who invariably underperform because they are not getting adequate service from those around them.

If we can pick up a number of players for around £7/8m a pop, we should be in a good position to ensure that our top-half status is firmly cemented come next May.  After that, we can look to replacing some of our 'good' players with 'excellent' ones (or add the latter and keep the former as squad players) and then challenge for a top 4/5 place in the 2009/2010 season.

I want to watch a Toon team where every player shows touches of class and performs week by week.  It would only sicken me to see SWP playing on one wing and then "Generic player X, aka Mr-Couldn't-Give-A-Toss-As-Long-As-The-50Kpw-keeps-coming" on the other.

SWP is the better choice but much more unlikely.  Pennant is a more realistic choice.

One thing though, don't know why people think he will recapture his form under Keegan.  Has Parker recaptured his form under Curbishley?  SWP might improve under Keegan like Owen has, but he will never be the SWP of ManCity.

Whilst SWP is arguably the better player overall, I voted for Pennant, as I think that we need to be realistic on how we go about improving our squad. 

(unless, of course, we can get SWP for the same price as Pennant!)

Practically speaking, we could do with bringing in a good five or six 'good' players over the course of the summer.  As it stands, we have a fair few time wasters on our books (some of which should not be allowed to play in the Premiership, let alone watch it).

As such, a shrewd bit of money management and motivation could go a long way.  Personally, I think that a top four (or even top five) position will be out of our reach next season.  There is just too much to do.  I would like to see KK and the board work together to  consolidate our existing position and ensure that we iron our the kinks as much as possible (i.e. beating teams like Derby and ensuring that we do not drop as many points against lesser teams). 

For instance, simply replacing 'average' players with 'good' players (more for less) could go a long way to doing this.  And it would be a damn sight cheaper than buying a few 'excellent' players (less for more) who invariably underperform because they are not getting adequate service from those around them.

If we can pick up a number of players for around £7/8m a pop, we should be in a good position to ensure that our top-half status is firmly cemented come next May.  After that, we can look to replacing some of our 'good' players with 'excellent' ones (or add the latter and keep the former as squad players) and then challenge for a top 4/5 place in the 2009/2010 season.

I want to watch a Toon team where every player shows touches of class and performs week by week.  It would only sicken me to see SWP playing on one wing and then "Generic player X, aka Mr-Couldn't-Give-A-Toss-As-Long-As-The-50Kpw-keeps-coming" on the other.

Excellent post.  :thup:

for those thinking Pennant will be cheap? Isn't it the case they pool already want 15m for Crouch (probably putting that figure out to put people off but may deal for about 10-13m

Pool paying nearly 7m for Pennant it would not suprise me if they look at him and say they see other english players going for good money we want 10m for him does he then seem less of a good prospect?

Pennant for me.

Is about 2 years younger, his delivery can be excellent and he has a bit more class or touch about him. Would also be much easier to get and more affordable.

Chelsea have screwed us over Parker and Duff, I think we need a break from them!

I think Keegan could make a top player out of Aaron Lennon, much like he did with Gillespie.

Added. :pow:

I've already voted for An other now. :doh:

Is that the Dutch lad?  ;)

Pennant for me.

Is about 2 years younger, his delivery can be excellent and he has a bit more class or touch about him. Would also be much easier to get and more affordable.

Chelsea have screwed us over Parker and Duff, I think we need a break from them!

I'm coming round to this, although SWP is the better player can we really justify the extra outlay when Pennant is almost as good.

If Zoggy does go to Liverpool we'll get Pennant and if he goes to Spurs it will be Lennon I'm guessing.

SWP pisses over the rest of that list so him. Would work really well in the 4-3-3 set up aswell.

I agree. Much more versatile than the rest apart from maybe Milner but he's a step above him.

Swps no contest. cant see him coming here though.

he is only getting about 10-20 league games a season at chelsea and if he has any international carear ideas he needs to be playing regularly so that can be a big drawer for us or anyone else going for him. Also the fact keegan has managed him before means if Chelsea did for some reason descide to cash in on him then we could stand a good chance.