The Andrei Arshavin thread

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Arda one is more disappointing for me, considering nobody had even suggested him before the links started coming out of Turkey. He's not had the highly-hyped impact Arshavin has, and he was far more getable and younger.

Once he started doing it in the EC he was never going to go to any PL club outside the Sky 4, it just wasn't going to happen.

He'd also been talking about Barcelona for a while.

It was always going to end this way.

I feel like the kid in your avatar after today's news.

What? The Arshavin news? Or have I missed something?

Much panic everywhere. It is still June. Be patient, black and white striped friends.

Also lost out on Arda today.

I fear it was the same again, perform at the European Championships and the competition to sign them goes mental.

Is everyone missing a trick here?  Haven't you lot heard about 'The Barcelona Code'?  It was in this book I was reading of the same title, think it was by this guy, Dan Brown or something.  He's written another one that was quite popular, although this is less complicated.  Basically if a player says he wants to join Barcelona, its a secret message really meaning he wants to join Newcastle United.  The logic behind it is if he said he wants to join Newcastle outright, Spurs will make a bid and his dream could be shattered.  The guy pointed out that Antoine Sibierski said he wanted to join Barcelona before he came to Newcastle.

Sorry, just trying to keep spirits up before some on here fall into a state of manic depression.

Guest teepee

if barca gets andrei, deco i certainly leaving. if scolari doesn't snap him up, maybe we could make a cheaky bid for him....

if barca gets andrei, deco i certainly leaving. if scolari doesn't snap him up, maybe we could make a cheaky bid for him....

Chelski want Deco but I am sure I heard somehting about Mr Russian money bags saying forget Deco he is to old.

Surely the Zenit board were also aware of the possible value hike the EC would give their player, though?

Exactly. Same with Arda - there's no way a player like that would move pre-tournament when a good tournament would see their stock rise to such an extent that bigger and richer clubs would be in for them, and even a poor showing would barely see their value depreciate.

His agent has just been on setenta on the phone live, seemed to be pouring a bit of colder water on it all, "nothing concrete yet" "several English clubs", mentioned his wages then added but any move would be for sporting reasons.

I wonder if Barca are not offering enough wages.

I'll put my straws down now, grasped em enough..

I for one am already getting tired of the Arshavin speculation, not as bad as the Ronaldo situation though I will admit.

Maybe Man U should get him to replace Ronaldo.

what pi$$es me off about this whole saga is that we have identified arshavin as a player to buy and then instead of going all out to get him before the big tournament we put in a decent bid but not one which makes the zenit board say 'let's sell'. the same happened with arda, fair enough if he wasnt playing but because he has and played well the bid which we put in is useless. this is a recruitment team that would have identified ronaldo at 17 and then say lets leave it a couple of years and see how he develops

The way you are talking is as though Arshavin has no say, he clearly knew that playing in europe for Zenit and then with russia in the summer would get him a move to a big club if he performed, and if not he had the likes of us and Everton to fall back on.

what pi$$es me off about this whole saga is that we have identified arshavin as a player to buy and then instead of going all out to get him before the big tournament we put in a decent bid but not one which makes the zenit board say 'let's sell'. the same happened with arda, fair enough if he wasnt playing but because he has and played well the bid which we put in is useless. this is a recruitment team that would have identified ronaldo at 17 and then say lets leave it a couple of years and see how he develops

:lol:

Zenit would've been absolutely stupid to sell Arshavin before Euro, especially considering they don't need money.

At the end of the day it will be Arshavin that decides where he wants to go, and it's not going to be, and never was going to be us.

Also, I'm pretty sure we never put in a 'decent' bid.

With the way the club is at the moment, it's almost a backward step for players like Arshavin and Arda to come to us. That's the truth.

The only thing we can offer them is money, dedicated fans and the chance to play in the EPL. No Europe, no nothing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2008/russia/7470415.stm

Zenit St Petersburg say they have received an approach from Barcelona for Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin.

The 27-year-old said earlier this week that playing for Barca, the club he supported as boy, is his "dream".

Barcelona vice president Ferran Soriano said: "We are interested in Arshavin. But it won't be easy to sign him because all teams want him now."

A Zenit St Petersburg official said: "Barcelona have made a formal proposal to Zenit for the purchase of Arshavin."

The forward has starred in Russia's run to the semi-finals at Euro 2008 and has also been linked with a move to the Premier League after asking to leave the Uefa Cup champions.

Barca now appear to head the list of suitors, but the Zenit official added: "We will only talk about this once Andrei returns to Zenit."

Arshavin's agent Dennis Lachter said the player would cost about 25m euros (£19.8m) but said money was not the main issue.

"It's time for him (Arshavin) to look for new challenges, and this is a great opportunity for him," he told Spanish television station La Sexta.

"Everything depends on how interested Barcelona are and how much the player wants to play there.

"There are not that many clubs in the world that can match his pay at the moment, but the main reasons for leaving will be sporting ones."

Barcelona say they have been monitoring Arshavin since earlier this year.

"Our interest isn't sudden since we have been following him with discretion for a few months now," said Soriano, who added that the Spanish giants had first noticed him in April when he played against German side Bayer Leverkusen in the Uefa Cup.

"We were under the impression that he played in midfield, but now we have seen that in big games, with his national team at the Euro, that he plays on the flank," Soriano told Mundo Deportivo.

"That's dispelled any doubt and this is the profile of a player we would like."

Bye then.

:doh:

I know we had no shot before Euro, but it stings that we were apparently first to put feelers out there and we miss out.

I really wish Russia had been eliminated in group.

Oh well. We need to move on Arda before Juventus does.  ;D Who the fuck am I kidding?

Guest BigAl2

I hope Arhavin inspires Russia tonight, I had a £20 each way bet at 28/1 before the tournament started.