Chris Mort's departure confirmed. Derek Llambias is new Managing Director.

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where's anyone said that doing the conga makes him a good chairman anyway?

People seem to think it's funny, and I'd tend to agree with that tbh. But I can't see where anyone has used it as any sort of indicator as to how he's done as a chairman, unless you count Jonny Hall's original post that first brought the incident to people's attention, which was clearly in jest.

Why can't you seperate the man from the job he's done NE5? Because I really don't see the need for going off on a wobbler here at all.

I don't see your point. I think people can't or won't seperate the man from the job he did in Shepherd and Halls case. I've said it often enough, I judge a chairman primarily by how they back their managers, and in this instance Mort has came acros to me as being completely out of touch and knowing nothing about football.

Why do people think he's been such a good chairman, he's done nothing except ironically make some stupid statements to the press. He's also had 2 managers complaing about the clubs ineffiency to complete transfer deals. To me, this is as worrying as it gets

Fair enough, I don't think he's done a particularly good job either if I'm being honest but he's hardly been a disaster either.

It would appear that he was only ever here on a short-term basis and that he was always going to be replaced this summer, so it's unlikely he was ever going to come in and do anything radical or be particularly knowledgeable about football. Stop-gap chairman that did pretty much what you'd expect him to do IYAM.

More interested to see who is replacement is and how much Ashley is willing to put into transfers, which is his call at the end of the day and not Mort's.

Anyway, best duck and cover before I end up arguing about the board with you, a prospect that terrifies me to my very core. ;)

bluelaugh.gif

no worries mate, you're one of the few who talk any sense.

I genuinely think there'd be similar responses if it was Shepherd. Well, maybe not "legend", but there'd have been plenty :lol:s.

I think its embarrassing. I also think that if Shepherd had did it he would have been slaughtered.

Such is the way though.

Not that I'm embarrassed personally.  In fact I'm more embarrassed by the blatant hypocrisy if anything.

What hypocrisy? Shepherd never did anything like that in order to make a compareable reaction.

Newcastle United supporters like a chairman who presides over a club that imposes wage restrictions, loses its best players and lose out on major transfer dealings, but they think he's a great bloke because he does the conga ?

And you wonder why people laugh ?

Supporters of the successful clubs will be pissing themselves laughing at such crap and rightly so.

Of all the people that found the incident funny, i bet there was a selection of both those that thought he did a good job, and those that thought he did a bad job.  They were laughing at the situation tbh; people would have to be very short-sighted if the hilarity of the conga in Quinn's face is an equal measure of his performance at the club.

I'm sorry mate, but I honestly don't really care about this. I think its completely irrelevant to anything. It certainly doesn't mean someone is a good chairman, and I'm sure if you and the people on here who actually have a brain are honest with themselves, you will agree.

I'll judge Chris Mort on the players we didn't sign and the players we wanted to sign but were beaten to by an inferior club if thats alright.

so you'll  judge the previous board on the players they went after and didn't get ?

I'll judge them on the players they did get that qualified for europe and the Champions League massively more than any other period in the clubs history.

Unless you care to dispute this ?

i never have and you know that....however there weren't any during the souness or roeder years and i don't think allardyce would have either. dare i suggest that we were going backwards for 3 years on and off the pitch.

unless you care to dispute this ?

Owen, Martins........

signed during the reigns of these managers. For big fees too, fancy that.

We only qualified for europe once in 3 years, shocking.  You are forgetting we finished 7th under Roeder, a position that we bettered once during the whole of the 1960's, 70's and 80's. You have high expectations ? Who raised them for you then ?

What do mean about going backwards "off the pitch" ? Do you think they should have expanded the stadium again or something ?

Funny that like.

mackems.gif

Can I file you in the KBJ corner ?

His reign has just been completely justified:

Asked to name his worst moment, Quinn said: "I would have have to say after the Newcastle result away.

"To see their chairman come into the boardroom at St James' Park doing the conga, that was hard to take."

:lol:

Legend.

I genuinely think there'd be similar responses if it was Shepherd. Well, maybe not "legend", but there'd have been plenty :lol:s.

I think its embarrassing. I also think that if Shepherd had did it he would have been slaughtered.

Such is the way though.

Not that I'm embarrassed personally.  In fact I'm more embarrassed by the blatant hypocrisy if anything.

What hypocrisy? Shepherd never did anything like that in order to make a compareable reaction.

Newcastle United supporters like a chairman who presides over a club that imposes wage restrictions, loses its best players and lose out on major transfer dealings, but they think he's a great bloke because he does the conga ?

Supporters of the successful clubs will be pissing themselves laughing at such crap and rightly so.

Of all the people that found the incident funny, i bet there was a selection of both those that thought he did a good job, and those that thought he did a bad job.  They were laughing at the situation tbh; people would have to be very short-sighted if the hilarity of the conga in Quinn's face is an equal measure of his performance at the club.

I'm sorry mate, but I honestly don't really care about this. I think its completely irrelevant to anything. It certainly doesn't mean someone is a good chairman, and I'm sure if you and the people on here who actually have a brain are honest with themselves, you will agree.

I'll judge Chris Mort on the players we didn't sign and the players we wanted to sign but were beaten to by an inferior club if thats alright.

so you'll  judge the previous board on the players they went after and didn't get ?

I'll judge them on the players they did get that qualified for europe and the Champions League massively more than any other period in the clubs history.

i never have and you know that....however there weren't any during the souness or roeder years and i don't think allardyce would have either. dare i suggest that we were going backwards for 3 years on and off the pitch.

Owen, Martins........

We only qualified for europe once in 3 years, shocking.  You are forgetting we finished 7th under Roeder, a position that we bettered once during the whole of the 1960's, 70's and 80's. You have high expectations ? Who raised them for you then ?

What do mean about going backwards "off the pitch" ? Do you think they should have expanded the stadium again or something ?

Funny that like.

mackems.gif

you don't think we were going backwards on the pitch ?

off the pitch i meant racking up debts that the on pitch side couldn't sustain.

KBJ ? you know i'm not.

my opinion is we werent going to qualify for europe any time soon,appeared to be getting worse and the debts were getting bigger......not a good situatiion.

Such is the way though.

Owen, Martins........

Funny that like.

mackems.gif

KBJ ? you know i'm not.

my opinion is we werent going to qualify for europe any time soon,appeared to be getting worse and the debts were getting bigger......not a good situatiion.

I just think that - as I always said - there was nothing wrong that a good manager wouldn't put right. And its unrealistic to expect to make good choices every time. The main thing is the bricks were in place ie a board prepared to compete with the big boys and understanding this. It doesn't matter what sort of perceived "professional" setup you have behind the scenes, if the board don't have the ambition and aren't prepared to reach for the top prizes and the top other clubs, you will never join them.

Because football has moved into a new era of mega rich owners, NUFC too have to keep pace with the other clubs and if the Halls and Shepherd couldn't match them then someone better is always welcome. So long as they are better, but replacing directors who have done well for the club with better ones was never going to be so automatic and easy as people thought.

Which is all I've ever said.

But I'm far from convinced about Ashley. Just right now, they [ie he and his appointed chairman]have shown themselves to be naive and lacking in this ambition.

Such is the way though.

Owen, Martins........

Funny that like.

mackems.gif

KBJ ? you know i'm not.

I just think that - as I always said - there was nothing wrong that a good manager wouldn't put right. And its unrealistic to expect to make good choices every time. The main thing is the bricks were in place ie a board prepared to compete with the big boys and understanding this. It doesn't matter what sort of perceived "professional" setup you have behind the scenes, if the board don't have the ambition and aren't prepared to reach for the top prizes and the top other clubs, you will never join them.

Because football has moved into a new era of mega rich owners, NUFC too have to keep pace with the other clubs and if the Halls and Shepherd couldn't match them then someone better is always welcome. So long as they are better, but replacing directors who have done well for the club with better ones was never going to be so automatic and easy as people thought.

But I'm far from convinced about Ashley. Just right now, they [ie he and his appointed chairman]have shown themselves to be naive and lacking in this ambition.

Ultimately getting it wrong 3 times in a row means they had had their chance IMO

"Unrealisitc to expect them to make a good choice everytime"

What rubbish - its entirely realisitc to expect them to make a good choice - its entirely unrealistic to expect the choice to turn out good though.

You even say it yourself "theres nothing a good manager couldnt put right" so you acknowledge there were some problems (maybe disagree with the severity) and then say that the problems would of been sorted if a good manager was appointed, well doesnt what you say highlight the importance of hiring the right man?

No one has an issue with Dalglsih, no one had an issue with Gullit, but people had an issue with the board after there appointments of Souness, Roeder and Allardyce (although not so much with allardyce), why do you think this is?

Yet again - its right in front of your eyes.

Such is the way though.

Owen, Martins........

Funny that like.

mackems.gif

KBJ ? you know i'm not.

what bricks ? 3 very poor managerial choices off the belt,worsening on the field and rising debts ?

no one denies the euro qualifications but they were fast disappearing over the horizon by  2007 and in no matter what field you are in if you preside over 3 years of worsening results that could well be attributable to your decisions your position will be in question regardless of your previous history.

Such is the way though.

Owen, Martins........

Funny that like.

mackems.gif

KBJ ? you know i'm not.

what bricks ? 3 very poor managerial choices off the belt,worsening on the field and rising debts ?

no one denies the euro qualifications but they were fast disappearing over the horizon by  2007 and in no matter what field you are in if you preside over 3 years of worsening results that could well be attributable to your decisions your position will be in question regardless of your previous history.

Like I said, the debt has been explained. The trophy winners all have debts - attributable to stadium expansions - that hasn't stopped them winning things, Liverpool are shockingly putting their entire expectation of winning trophies in jeapordy by building a new stadium. Surely they realise it will send them backwards  bluelaugh.gif

As I also said, there was nothing wrong that the right manager wouldn't have put right. Trouble is, all those other pesky clubs have money to burn/debts [or both somehow], and are also looking for him too. I've nowt against the Halls and Shepherd standing aside for someone better [which I've said many times and not just in my last post] my problem with Ashley and Mort is so far they haven't been better and at times have been clueless. The 2 managers have both indicated this.

Anyway. I'm off. Got a long day today.

Such is the way though.

Owen, Martins........

Funny that like.

mackems.gif

KBJ ? you know i'm not.

Like I said, the debt has been explained. The trophy winners all have debts - attributable to stadium expansions - that hasn't stopped them winning things, Liverpool are shockingly putting their entire expectation of winning trophies in jeapordy by building a new stadium. Surely they realise it will send them backwards  bluelaugh.gif

As I also said, there was nothing wrong that the right manager wouldn't have put right. Trouble is, all those other pesky clubs have money to burn/debts [or both somehow], and are also looking for him too. I've nowt against the Halls and Shepherd standing aside for someone better [which I've said many times and not just in my last post] my problem with Ashley and Mort is so far they haven't been better and at times have been clueless. The 2 managers have both indicated this.

Anyway. I'm off. Got a long day today.

and as i've pointed out on numerous occasions the level of debt it is safe to carry is dependent on turnover. they have much larger turnover so can afford larger debt...think of a mortgage...the more you earn the bigger one you can get.

oh and that bit about  "nothing wrong that the right manager wouldn't have put right" ......how many goes does he get at picking the right one ? he seemed to always pick the wrong ones.

Hmmm, thats the whole trouble. The old board were willing to back the manager, or would be willing to throw money about but the majority of the managers they appointed either failed or in the instance of the last few, not good enough.

I didn't really have a problem with the board until they appointed Souness. He was on the brink of being fired from a club that isn't as big as us (opinion) and from that point it was all over. He set us back years and now we're back to day dot.

Either way.  :aww:

He got one appointment right out of five.

Given that it's the one of the most important decisions a chairman can make, that's one piss-poor record.

Not sure about that - Gullit was a sound appointment, SBR was a sound appointment as was Allardyce. You;re being over criticial if you think that every manager should be a success and to be fair Gullit, SBR and Allardyce all had there merits - my only issue with Allardyce though was that i thought there were better candidates around and there was a stubborn singularity about his appointment which meant we didnt even consider other targets.

Shepherds single biggest mistake which ruined his legacy for the club forever will be his treatment of SBR - its fair to say that we find ourselves in the position we are in now off the back of that decision, and cosidering the position we were in when SBR left thats no mean feat.