West Ham Rumours

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie
West Ham boss Alan Curbishley is ready to sell Dean Ashton and Anton Ferdinand in a bid to fund moves for Everton striker Andrew Johnson and Newcastle defender Steven Taylor. (Daily Mirror)

How about a swap deal involving Taylor and Ashton? I wouldn't be against it provided we can bring another centre half in to replace Taylor at some point over the summer.

Guest Gh0StFaC3

How about a swap deal involving Taylor and Ashton? I wouldn't be against it provided we can bring another centre half in to replace Taylor at some point over the summer.

Such as ?

Guest nufc_geordie

Dunne, Dawson, Evans, Cuellar, Metzelder, Ben Haim, all gettable targets and in my eyes, all an improvement on Taylor.

Dunne, Dawson, Evans, Cuellar, Metzelder, Ben Haim, all gettable targets and in my eyes, all an improvement on Taylor.

On the list I will only take Evans or Cuellar. Others are either shit or injury prone.

Held on Taylor, he deserves 1 more season at least.

Guest Gh0StFaC3

Dawson - you're taking the piss.

Metzelder is wishful thinking IMO.

Cuellar would be expensive & somewhat of a risk.

Evans wouldn't be a great improvement, but I'd be happy with him.

Ben Haim's lost it.

Dunne is Steven Taylor in a couple years!

Guest nufc_geordie

Dawson - you're taking the piss.

Metzelder is wishful thinking IMO.

Cuellar would be expensive & somewhat of a risk.

Evans wouldn't be a great improvement, but I'd be happy with him.

Ben Haim's lost it.

Dunne is Steven Taylor in a couple years!

We aill have to agree to disagree then, isn't football great with all these opinions flying around!

Guest Gh0StFaC3

We aill have to agree to disagree then, isn't football great with all these opinions flying around!

oh aye! O0

Guest MagFinnPie

what an brilliant idea swap our only player who gives a shit for injury-prone striker we don't need  O0

Not taylor's biggest fan by some margin, but ashton's one of the few players who's more overrated by people on here. Shearer's gone, get over it and stop trying to bring in a second rate version simply for sentimental reasons.

Not taylor's biggest fan by some margin, but ashton's one of the few players who's more overrated by people on here. Shearer's gone, get over it and stop trying to bring in a second rate version simply for sentimental reasons.

Who is trying to do that like?

Dawson's brother plays for Worksop Town, he is better than him tbf.

http://www.worksoptownfc.co.uk/uploads/media/Webmaster%20-%20Kev%20Dawson.jpg

Player of the season :lol:

I've got that exact same trophy at home from a couple of years ago.... top scorer for my Sunday team  :shifty:

Guest alex

Spot on my son.

Guest sondre

Would much rather see us getting some dough for Taylor than him+cash for Ashton. Got to stop buying those injury prones!

We wouldn't have to give West Ham any players. Magnusson has left, and the new chairtman, who was the leading investor anyway has told Curbishley that he has to sell or release about 10-15 players of their 37-man squad.

Spot on my son.

Well said Father! :lol:

Disagree that pre-injury Ashton is over-rated. He certainly isn't as good as Shearer, but I've never seen them as similar players.

Do people not remember the Liverpool vs West Ham Cup Final. It would have been remembered for decades as the Ashton final for years to come if Gerrard hadn't gatecrashed it towards the end.

You could describe that as a one off game, but for the 18 months or so before, Ashton looked very good when the rest of the team looked good. At times he also looked like one of two (the other being Rooney) English strikers who have the ability to dictate a game.

He got injured, and it was an injury that can take a year of playing to find old form, and I feel that many people have watched Ashton this year and said overrated. As I see it, he has done well considering his injury and the team he plays for. Towards the end of the season, I thought he was starting to look like his old self again.

The injury makes him a risk, but if he continues in this vein, and a manager like Keegan could get the best out of him on a consistent basis, he could become a player who could make a difference for us and England in big games.

Disagree that pre-injury Ashton is over-rated. He certainly isn't as good as Shearer, but I've never seen them as similar players.

Do people not remember the Liverpool vs West Ham Cup Final. It would have been remembered for decades as the Ashton final for years to come if Gerrard hadn't gatecrashed it towards the end.

You could describe that as a one off game, but for the 18 months or so before, Ashton looked very good when the rest of the team looked good. At times he also looked like one of two (the other being Rooney) English strikers who have the ability to dictate a game.

He got injured, and it was an injury that can take a year of playing to find old form, and I feel that many people have watched Ashton this year and said overrated. As I see it, he has done well considering his injury and the team he plays for. Towards the end of the season, I thought he was starting to look like his old self again.

The injury makes him a risk, but if he continues in this vein, and a manager like Keegan could get the best out of him on a consistent basis, he could become a player who could make a difference for us and England in big games.

100% agree with that James

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/05/22/taylor-keen-to-play-part-in-keegan-revolution-61634-20946330/

Taylor keen to play part in Keegan revolution

May 22 2008 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

Peter Taylor, former England Under-21's manager

PETER Taylor has admitted he would relish the chance to join Newcastle United’s coaching staff, but neither he nor the club are in any rush to make a quick decision over his appointment.

The well-regarded former England Under-21s manager met with United’s executive director (football) Dennis Wise last week to talk over the possibility of joining Newcastle, and although those talks progressed well he doesn’t anticipate an appointment in the near future. Taylor has not met with Wise since last week’s talks but he has confirmed for the first time that he is keen on joining Newcastle. The Journal understands, however, the situation could be complicated if he is offered a management role at a football league club – and sources in the West Midlands have indicated he met Walsall chairman Jeff Bonser to discuss possibly taking over at the League One club.

Taylor (pictured right) will not be drawn on the position that he has discussed with Wise, but the role of academy director would suit a coach who is well-regarded for the work he did in charge of England’s Under-21s side.

There is uncertainty over the position of another of United’s backroom staff – coach Steve Round – whose contract runs out at the end of the season. If former England coach Round did depart St James’s Park that would be another vacancy that Taylor would be well-qualified to fill. But while there is still a degree of uncertainty over the precise remit that Taylor would be handed, the 55-year-old has opened the door for the club to bring him in by admitting he would like to work with Kevin Keegan again – after working with him in the England set-up. “It’s a very good football club and anyone would be interested in working for a club like Newcastle. It is a big football club with a very high profile,” he said.

“There’s been no further discussions since we talked last week but at this stage I wouldn’t necessarily expect there to be. As far as I’m concerned there is no time-frame that has been set aside for a decision to be made, and I’m not expecting

anything to be said soon.” Taylor has been out of work since he resigned from his position as manager of Stevenage Borough at the end of April after failing to guide them to a play-off place in the Conference.

He had dropped into non-league football after an unsuccessful stint at Crystal Palace.

He is best known for his work with the England under-21 team, who he managed with great success while Keegan was in charge of the senior team. He was so well-regarded at Soho Square that when Keegan resigned after England’s disastrous start to World Cup 2002 qualification, it was to Taylor that the Football Association turned to take temporary charge of the team.

And while it is Wise who appears to be leading the negotiations it is not an appointment the Newcastle manager would oppose.

For his part, Taylor sounds enthused at the prospect of joining a coaching hierarchy that is being reshuffled with more of an emphasis on bringing players through their youth system. The board are understood to be keen for United to rival the kind of worldwide scouting network that Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea enjoy, and appointing Taylor to spearhead that would be a major coup.

“As I said, I had a cup of coffee with Dennis (Wise) last week and it was a good conversation, and it was interesting to hear what he had to say and hopefully for him to hear what I had to say,” said Taylor. “I have not discussed what the contents of that conversation were or what the job would entail but of course it is an interesting opportunity if something does happen.”

Meanwhile, Shola Ameobi is being offered an unlikely North American escape route from St James’s Park by former Newcastle coach John Carver.

He wants the striker to sign for his FC Toronto side, but it is unlikely that the Major League Soccer outfit would be able to match his wages or afford the asking fee of around £3m. Ameobi is also getting married in the North East this summer so is unlikely to welcome a move so far away.

MICHAEL Owen is hoping he can follow in the footsteps of former England captain David Beckham and win 100 caps for his country. Owen, who has begun new contract talks with Newcastle, is just 11 caps short of the career landmark and that figure could be cut to nine after England’s summer friendlies against the USA and Trinidad and Tobago.

He said: “Obviously it would be a very proud moment if I was ever lucky enough to get 100 caps.

“The two elements are staying fit and being in good form and if I do that, I would be hopeful, one day, I could get it.

“It sounds nothing – 11 caps to go – but at international level that is either a year-and-a-half or two years so it isn’t easy and that puts David’s 100 caps and achievement into perspective. He has been fantastic.”

Owen is also just nine goals behind Sir Bobby Charlton’s all-time England record of 49 goals and the United skipper added: “Again, it is something that is a long way off, but being on 40 – although I wouldn’t say it is an easy target – realistically there is a chance if I play regularly over the next two or three years.”