Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

I think people are taking this "Don't believe the papers, they know nothing" thing to too much of an extreme now.

Just because we didn't sign him doesn't mean we weren't interested. Of course it doesn't mean we were either. But to start slating the papers or websites for saying we were the club involved when you haven't a clue yourself is more than a little mongy.

I think people are taking this "Don't believe the papers, they know nothing" thing to too much of an extreme now.

Just because we didn't sign him doesn't mean we weren't interested. Of course it doesn't mean we were either. But to start slating the papers or websites for saying we were the club involved when you haven't a clue yourself is more than a little mongy.

When they get one incoming transfer right I might start trusting they have a clue.

As it stands their record is 0 right from 2 signings with about 150 attempts. Not great considering all their supposed 'inside' knowledge, is it?

Papers did mention Guthrie fwiw.

They (the Chronicle) said he'd told friends about the move IIRC.

Still doesn't negate the fact that their conversion ratio is pathetic.

No it doesn't, but considering we were trying to buy Guthrie since the end of the season, it is possible that other names mentioned in the papers may yet come to fruition. Fingers crossed.

It's good that we are showing ambition to sign players who should take us back to European football. Although, I still don't think that Aimar would be the right attacking midfield choice for us. He is very skillful, and an exceptional passer of the ball, however he is small and he is weak, I feel he would simply be bullied in the Premiership.

Maybe it's OUR conversion ratio that's pathetic?

Just a thought.

Not defending the papers or anything as personally I don't ever buy them as I think they full of shit-stirring rubbish. But just because a mooted deal doesn't come off doesn't mean there was no interest from us at all.

Maybe it's OUR conversion ratio that's pathetic?

Just a thought.

Not defending the papers or anything as personally I don't ever buy them as I think they full of shit-stirring rubbish. But just because a mooted deal doesn't come off doesn't mean there was no interest from us at all.

Maybe so, and as you say I've no knowledge of this deal so they might be reporting facts. But then I've not just started criticising them because of this; I've been doing it for ages.

My point about bringing this up again was the fact the Mirror had him coming here, then going there, and even though he'd virtually signed there last night, the Sun run an story today that he's still coming here. With a 'quote' from him, the lot. :lol: It's just absolute tosh.

Keegan needs to be there selling the club to new signings. I don't trust Wise etc to sell the club half as much as I do Kev. His passion is legendary and it rubs off on those around him. Get him in a room with a potential recruit and I think more often than not they'd end up at Newcastle.

Don't we have a club ambassador who was supposed to be selling the image of the club?

Where has Alan Shearer been when we have been negotiating these deals or non-deals?

The public deserve to know!

Well at Thursday he was in Sweden, Gothenburg, and was signing autographs, talking to fans etc under Gothia Cup. A big youth tournament he also has participated in.

Keegan needs to be there selling the club to new signings. I don't trust Wise etc to sell the club half as much as I do Kev. His passion is legendary and it rubs off on those around him. Get him in a room with a potential recruit and I think more often than not they'd end up at Newcastle.

Completely agree, and the board certainly deserve criticism if they're not implementing this and using his personality in the negotiation processes.

Completely agree, and the board certainly deserve criticism if they're not implementing this and using his personality in the negotiation processes.

what do we know?

Guest elbee909

what do we know?

Nothing, which is why everyone has an opinion.

what do we know?

We don't, and I'll remain positive until someone of note (ie not Alan fucking Nixon) actually comes out and says we didn't offer Aimar enough money, Keegan wasn't involved, the club is a load of shit, lacking ambition etc etc. :thup:

Some choose not to.

what do we know?

but still everyone act like they know. hate reading all this rumors. 31 august can´t come fast enough.

Don't we have a club ambassador who was supposed to be selling the image of the club?

Where has Alan Shearer been when we have been negotiating these deals or non-deals?

The public deserve to know!

Well at Thursday he was in Sweden, Gothenburg, and was signing autographs, talking to fans etc under Gothia Cup. A big youth tournament he also has participated in.

So have I  :aww:

I used to be of this view, but taken from a personal angle, the Daily Telegraph wrote an article about the company i work for and in a piece of no more than 200 words they got the company's business wrong, they got our location wrong, they got all kinds of figures totally wrong. Now, i'm not saying it's the same thing, but this was an article in the finance section of the Telegraph, a supposedly reputable source writing about things that any of us could find on the internet if we did a small amount of research. They didn't even apologise, just withdrew the article from their website 2 weeks after publishing, corrected everything they got wrong and put it back up.

I'd imagine the quality of journalism in the sports section of your average tabloid is substantially worse and so can only imagine what percentage of what they write is actually correct. Yes, occasionally are scoops, but stories that gradually worm their way out, such as the Aimar story, seem to be when a dripped rumour becomes an avalanche so everyone repeats it to avoid seeming like they were missing something. If it's a load of bollocks, who cares. I honestly reckon that if you just watched players and listened to what they said in press conferences you could decipher whether they were completely happy at a club as well as monitoring clubs to see how healthy they were financially / what their transfer policy is / has been then you could have a more accurate stab at an entire summer of transfer activity than what any of the papers do.

what do we know?

We don't, and I'll remain positive until someone of note (ie not Alan f***ing Nixon) actually comes out and says we didn't offer Aimar enough money, Keegan wasn't involved, the club is a load of s***, lacking ambition etc etc. :thup:

Some choose not to.

Which we all know won´t happen. not now anyway. maybe in 5-10 years when Keegan release a biography or something.

Guest elbee909

what do we know?

but still everyone act like they know. hate reading all this rumors. 31 august can´t come fast enough.

Well, it's fuel for everyone to, well, fuel their confirmation biases, isn't it?  Where there's an info vacuum, those who want to stick the boot into the board will see the lack of solid info one way, and that negative; those that don't, will put a postive spin on things.  Those in the middle will be confused, and no-one likes being confused so they'll probably seem a bit negative as well. :)

Schroedinger's Club, NUFC is.  One for all you physicists out there.

The truth is it's probably a bit of all these things, and the proof will only be obvious once we open the box (and August 31st comes around, like you say).

what do we know?

Well, it's fuel for everyone to, well, fuel their confirmation biases, isn't it?  Where there's an info vacuum, those who want to stick the boot into the board will see the lack of solid info one way, and that negative; those that don't, will put a postive spin on things.  Those in the middle will be confused, and no-one likes being confused so they'll probably seem a bit negative as well. :)

Schroedinger's Club, NUFC is.  One for all you physicists out there.

The truth is it's probably a bit of all these things, and the proof will only be obvious once we open the box (and August 31st comes around, like you say).

can absolutely agree with you. will always be like this and in every situation you are always able too decide if you are going to be negative or positive in a situation.

Completely agree