Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

So people are arguing that being in Europe didnt make us a good team?

I'm either deleting my account or joining Simon Jordan in Marbella.  :lol:

Kind of yes.

I just dont think the Souness/Roeder team that got into Europe is a side that is going to go down in memory as one of our greats.

I was in a random bar last night in Paris, some lad starts talking, asks where i am from, i answer and he explodes into passion about a night in Marseille in 2004. The lad was for OM tbf but it still shows our class and achievement. We were on the wrong end of things of course....

Am i meant to forget who was chairman at the time for the sake of it...?

Aye but that was Bobby's team wasnt it? - they were justified the tag "good team"

I wasnt trying to get involved in the whole, which Chairman/Owner is best argument, just tried to point out that to say "we were in europe" didnt automatically mean that we had a wonderful team that we were all proud of

f*** off the lot of you's. As if you can compare us being in europe to Millwall and Cardiff.  :lol:

Desperate to make a s*** point tbh.

Aye, massive diffrence between qualifying via the league and by a cup competition.

We've qualified for Europe for being a decent top flight side every year we've qualified since you were born, or a meringue?

Kind of yes.

I just dont think the Souness/Roeder team that got into Europe is a side that is going to go down in memory as one of our greats.

I was in a random bar last night in Paris, some lad starts talking, asks where i am from, i answer and he explodes into passion about a night in Marseille in 2004. The lad was for OM tbf but it still shows our class and achievement. We were on the wrong end of things of course....

nobody mentioned the chairman...he was chairman when we went in the champs league and we were a good team then.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

You've forgotten what its about then. Alzheimers probably...

Kind of yes.

nobody mentioned the chairman...he was chairman when we went in the champs league and we were a good team then.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

the conversation has moved on. check the OP for proof

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

The OP is about Aimar, Dopey.

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

and now it's not the subject of conversation. for a while the NE5 debate was on, but not now, now it's about what constitutes a good team and wether purely being in euro competition makes you a good team no matter how you got there.

Fuck off the lot of you's. As if you can compare us being in europe to Millwall and Cardiff.  :lol:

Desperate to make a shit point tbh.

To be fair most of the above is a direct response to that.

Are we just talking about a certain part of our history here?

Does getting into Europe in one year mean something different in another year? 

I don't know, you keep moving the goalposts.

Fuck off the lot of you's. As if you can compare us being in europe to Millwall and Cardiff.  :lol:

I know  :lol:

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

and now it's not the subject of conversation. for a while the NE5 debate was on, but not now, now it's about what constitutes a good team and wether purely being in euro competition makes you a good team no matter how you got there.

Well this still stands then,

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=53319.msg1401595#msg1401595

I know  :lol:

:lol:

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=53319.msg1401595#msg1401595

no

Nobody in their right mind could argue that we've been anything better than mediocre since Shepherd sacked Bobby.

Compared to what?

In terms of the level of football at which we are competing, or attempting to compete.

Obviously, in terms of the Champions League, we are worse than mediocre. Compared to Blyth Spartans, though, we're pretty good.

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

no

So you're comparing Roeder's 7th to Cardiff and Millwall?

Get a grip.

Nobody in their right mind could argue that we've been anything better than mediocre since Shepherd sacked Bobby.

Compared to what?

In terms of the level of football at which we are competing, or attempting to compete.

Obviously, in terms of the Champions League, we are worse than mediocre. Compared to Blyth Spartans, though, we're pretty good.

So not compared to the Premier League then?

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

no

Get a grip.

i used fulham as a closer comparisson. cardiff and millwall were used  to prove that just because you are in the uefa cupo doesn't mean you are good.

Compared to what?

Au contraire. I said in terms of the level of football at which we are competing -- that certainly includes the Premier League.

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

no

Get a grip.

i used fulham as a closer comparisson. cardiff and millwall were used  to prove that just because you are in the uefa cupo doesn't mean you are good.

Well what sort of point is that? If we'd qualified in the same manner it would be relevant, the fact is we were competing as top premiership club in each season we did qualify. Not as some wildcard cup-final appearers.

Compared to what?

Au contraire. I said in terms of the level of football at which we are competing -- that certainly includes the Premier League.

So competing as an 'average' Premier league side this year and finishing 7th would be a 'mediocre' season?

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

no

Get a grip.

Well what sort of point is that? If we'd qualified in the same manner it would be relevant, the fact is we were competing as top premiership club in each season we did qualify. Not as some wildcard cup-final appearers.

you may wish to check where we finished in the league to secure our last intertoto slot.

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

no

Get a grip.

you may wish to check where we finished in the league to secure our last intertoto slot.

Why would i when i've already given the example of Roeder's (mediocre) 7th?

Kind of yes.

Isnt that the sub-text?

no

no

Get a grip.

Why would i when i've already given the example of Roeder's (mediocre) 7th?

i'll counter with souness's 14th