Pablo Aimar joins Benfica

morgs

Guest elbee909

Stopped being about Aimar a long time ago.

---

Kevin Keegan admitted that his squad still needed to be reinforced following the 4-1 victory over Hartlepool.

Damien Duff netted a hat-trick in the pre-season match and summer signing Danny Guthrie also scored with the aid of a deflection.

But Keegan realises he has plenty of work still to do if the Magpies are to be ready for their opening Premier League game against Manchester United.

Asked if there would be any more signings, Keegan replied: "There have definitely got to be some more in the pipeline.

"We only had two players (on the bench) today who I would call senior players with us, so that gave us a total of 12 outfield players.

"We are like a lot of clubs at the moment, everyone is waiting for something to happen. We are still looking.

"They will definitely be in by the end of the transfer window because you just can't go into the Premier League with this small squad we have got.

"But everyone is working hard and we will see what happens."

Stopped being about Aimar a long time ago.

---

Kevin Keegan admitted that his squad still needed to be reinforced following the 4-1 victory over Hartlepool.

Damien Duff netted a hat-trick in the pre-season match and summer signing Danny Guthrie also scored with the aid of a deflection.

But Keegan realises he has plenty of work still to do if the Magpies are to be ready for their opening Premier League game against Manchester United.

Asked if there would be any more signings, Keegan replied: "There have definitely got to be some more in the pipeline.

"We only had two players (on the bench) today who I would call senior players with us, so that gave us a total of 12 outfield players.

"We are like a lot of clubs at the moment, everyone is waiting for something to happen. We are still looking.

"They will definitely be in by the end of the transfer window because you just can't go into the Premier League with this small squad we have got.

"But everyone is working hard and we will see what happens."

most top flight clubs have yet to make their major moves in the market.

As I see it, this summer is similar to when Robson first joined.

A number of players on significant wages contributing little who need shifting before we can spend big.

For Duff and Smith see Maric and Ferguson.

I may be wrong, but Robsons early dealings were wheeling and dealing spending big only on young players. Once he had shifted the likes of Maric, Marcelino, Ferguson from the wage bill we were able to once again offer larger wages to the likes of Robert.

Was it Shirley Bassey who sang of History repeating itself?

Yes, it's very like the summer when Robson first joined. He also had to work with limited funds, and sell and buy in order to get the wage bill under control. Took him a couple of seasons to get it all sorted -- and then we had our most successful few seasons under Shepherd.

The idiots baying for an instant fix seem to have forgotten all this.

the 'idiots' (note, i don't automatically think people are idiots for having a different opinion to mine) saying it is the same situation seem to forgot the catalyst of new tv money prompting large spending by even shite teams like sunderland, the fact we've spent a small total of £7.8m net over the past 3 years (which comes down to around a paltry £0.3m net since the end shepherd's reign), have a far bigger stadium now than then and the fact we have a billionaire owner.

it's not about an instant fix it's about showing ambition, i'm not saying we won't show any before the end of the window, but it is puzzling to have an opinion like yours that suggests we SHOULDN'T show any, because you mistakenly think we're not in a position to do so.

do you believe everything you read in the press  bluelaugh.gif

Do you?

do you believe this, or is it the rantings of a maniac with the knives out ........

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/columnists/neil-farrington/2008/07/20/toon-can-t-sign-top-stars-on-the-cheap-79310-21370957/

What says you can believe it?

You believe it because that would prove you right. We don´t believe it because of the opposite option (and also because you can´t believe what the papers are writing. especially Sunday Sun mackems.gif)

Do you?

do you believe this, or is it the rantings of a maniac with the knives out ........

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/columnists/neil-farrington/2008/07/20/toon-can-t-sign-top-stars-on-the-cheap-79310-21370957/

You're not seriously using an article in The Sunday Sun to back up your case are you?

Word that Aimar was unhappy with the personal terms on offer from United does not sit comfortably with the news that he signed a deal worth just £18,000-a-week at Benfica.

Fuck off. :lol:

Do you?

You didn't answer the question.

And no, I don't have reason to believe that. It might be correct, it might not.

Word that Aimar was unhappy with the personal terms on offer from United does not sit comfortably with the news that he signed a deal worth just £18,000-a-week at Benfica.

25k-30k Euros seems like the kinda of wages Benfica would pay, they haven't that much money these days.

Article seems to be pro-Keegan and snipe at MA.

25k-30k Euros seems like the kinda of wages Benfica would pay, they haven't that much money these days.

More likely the earlier "word" was bollocks.

Guest optimistic nit

As I see it, this summer is similar to when Robson first joined.

A number of players on significant wages contributing little who need shifting before we can spend big.

For Duff and Smith see Maric and Ferguson.

I may be wrong, but Robsons early dealings were wheeling and dealing spending big only on young players. Once he had shifted the likes of Maric, Marcelino, Ferguson from the wage bill we were able to once again offer larger wages to the likes of Robert.

Was it Shirley Bassey who sang of History repeating itself?

Yes, it's very like the summer when Robson first joined. He also had to work with limited funds, and sell and buy in order to get the wage bill under control. Took him a couple of seasons to get it all sorted -- and then we had our most successful few seasons under Shepherd.

The idiots baying for an instant fix seem to have forgotten all this.

the 'idiots' (note, i don't automatically think people are idiots for having a different opinion to mine) saying it is the same situation seem to forgot the catalyst of new tv money prompting large spending by even shite teams like sunderland, the fact we've spent a small total of £7.8m net over the past 3 years (which comes down to around a paltry £0.3m net since the end shepherd's reign), have a far bigger stadium now than then and the fact we have a billionaire owner.

it's not about an instant fix it's about showing ambition, i'm not saying we won't show any before the end of the window, but it is puzzling to have an opinion like yours that suggests we SHOULDN'T show any, because you mistakenly think we're not in a position to do so.

i agree, but we still do have a mammouth wage bill that will need to be put under control.

as i said a few days ago, i´m happy with how we have been run by ashley, but if we don´t spend real money on a player by the end of the window i will start to think that ashley thinks we can do well while on a very tight transfer budget.

aye, shearer would have been the same player had we bought him for nowt, but if we had not bought shearer purely because he was going to cost 15mill, we would have lost far more money in the long run.

i´m not saying that is ashley´s mindset, i dont think it is, but if we spend fuck all again this summer, i will start to sway towards the other opinion.

on another point how much did guthrie cost? 1-2 Million. if he turns out to be even a semi-useful player for us that is some feat, considering he´s english and players such as dave kitson are going for 5.5

Do you?

You're not seriously using an article in The Sunday Sun to back up your case are you?

it isn't my "case"

Haven't the TF writers started questioning them too ?

As for the sunday sun, which paper do you believe, do you believe the lundun press when they have a go at us ? Or do you disagree ? Give me Farrington over Martin fuckin Samuel anytime.

f*** off. :lol:

Apparently, they matched his wages at Zaragoza - and AS and Marca both mentioned at one point that Zaragoza could not afford his wages.

He must have been on more than 25,000 euros at Zaragoza, having joined from Valencia and established himself as a key player ...

I'm not convinced that we were actually after Aimar at all. Going by the press stories, he agreed to join Benfica on the same day that his agent was in Newcastle negotiating personal terms. That doesn't sound that likely.

Hypothetically of course, if an agent was trying to get more money from the club that his player was wanting to join, it might not be a bad idea to put about a story that he was about to sign for someone else.

and NE5 were you confident that shepherd would have took us back to champs league and top 4 finishes ?

i don't know, they did it once didn;t they ? are you confident that Ashley will ?

Back on topic question for NE5.

Are you pleased or disappointed we didn't sign Aimar?

Daft question that. If the manager wants him, then of course I'd have liked to have got him. Question should be, is Keegan happy at losing another target ?

And a question for you is : are you happy with the regime missing out on the transfer targets like this ?